International pre med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amy73

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi There...

I have completed my pre med requirements internationally... some time back and am living in us now.. I am looking to network with other people who may have completed the pre meds outside us..

i am a non traditional student..

Please feel free to pm me .. if u are in similar position or know of someone who might be..

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Wow. From what little I know you are in a tough spot. I am pretty sure that at least some schools will not weigh those classes equally with those done in the US because the standards are not the same (accreditation is different, etc). You should definitely consult with some admissions offices and ask their advice. At best they may recommend you take an advanced level science course in the US to prove you've got what it takes, at worst they'll ask you to do a post-bac and take the classes over. Check with several schools to get an idea.

Good luck! :)

I know someone in that same situation your best way out is Post-Bac program. Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools specify that you need to do one year of full time study at a US institute before they will consider you (see for example the websites of Einstein or UCSD both of which explicitly state this on their sites). Thats not exactly true ie I didn't - but I did do over a years worth of courses part time. Indeed some schools even refused to consider my application unless I had 90 credit hours in US schools. Needless to say, I withdrew my applications from those latter schools...

Sorry to have to tell you this but you will need to take at least your premed course again. A post bac program sounds like a good plan. Another thing that would come into question would be your residency. Are you a US citizen or greencard holder? if you are, you will have it easier if you go the post bac route. Now if you any thing other than those i.e. international student, it is going to be really tough.

you will need to take the MCAT as well
Good Luck!

hi,

just want to know how admission commitees evaulate foreign credits? If the premed courses have to be repeated; will they just disregard the foreign premed courses or they would average with that of the US? And do they require students to have their foreign credentials evaulated by some agencies like WES?