International Public Health Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefool

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a college grad now currently taken post-bac courses in science. My gpa is a bit low ~2.7 but by the time I finish taking my basic science courses next year I should be able to get it up to or above a 3.0. I went to Cornell and graduated with a degree in Human Development. I havent taken the GRE yet.

I have been interested in the Peace Corps for a while now but it always seemed like too much time to commit. The actual time committment isnt the problem it is the fact that I want to take more and more science courses towards possibly someday matriculating into medical school and wasnt sure if I wanted to take over two years aside to be abroad internationally with the Peace Corps. On the Peace Corps website recently I found international masters programs in public health and was wondering if anyone knew anything about these. From what I understand you take a semester or two at a university which you have to apply to and be accepted and then go abroad with the Peace Corps while earning credits towards the completion of your masters. I believe you must also apply and be accepted to go abroad.

Any input or knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about this program, but based on what you've said, it sounds like a really good fit for you as a way to get the MPH and to get an amazing experience abroad. However, for med school admissions, it will be important to boost your science GPA either before or after the Peace Corps if you choose to do it. Good luck!

The Peace Corps MI program is a great option if you've already been considering Peace Corps and your master's. They have several programs with some of the top public health schools including Emory, Johns Hopkins, Boston University and Tulane.

http://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=learn.whyvol.eduben.school_results

You're right about the MI program - you usually spend about a year on campus taking classes towards your masters, then go to do your PC service. When you get back you usually just have a final project or one or two classes to complete your degree. I know for the Tulane program, your PC service counts as your field experience.

As far as applying - you apply for PC and the university separately but at the same time and must be accepted to both. I'm not sure about how it affects your med school chances or plans, but MI is a great program time-wise because you're essentially finishing your master's and peace corps in 3 years or so as opposed to the 4 years or more it might otherwise take to do both.

I am a college grad now currently taken post-bac courses in science. My gpa is a bit low ~2.7 but by the time I finish taking my basic science courses next year I should be able to get it up to or above a 3.0. I went to Cornell and graduated with a degree in Human Development. I havent taken the GRE yet.

I have been interested in the Peace Corps for a while now but it always seemed like too much time to commit. The actual time committment isnt the problem it is the fact that I want to take more and more science courses towards possibly someday matriculating into medical school and wasnt sure if I wanted to take over two years aside to be abroad internationally with the Peace Corps. On the Peace Corps website recently I found international masters programs in public health and was wondering if anyone knew anything about these. From what I understand you take a semester or two at a university which you have to apply to and be accepted and then go abroad with the Peace Corps while earning credits towards the completion of your masters. I believe you must also apply and be accepted to go abroad.

Any input or knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, the program is oustanding and it is exactly what I am looking for. My original plan of completing my pre-med pre-requisites over this and next year will still be carried out but with the idea of applying to these masters programs at the end of it.

Does anyone know what kind of admissions requirements there are for something like this, grade and score wise? and also, what kinds of curriculars are geared towards the public health field?

Thanks so much again

The Peace Corps MI program is a great option if you've already been considering Peace Corps and your master's. They have several programs with some of the top public health schools including Emory, Johns Hopkins, Boston University and Tulane.

http://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=learn.whyvol.eduben.school_results

You're right about the MI program - you usually spend about a year on campus taking classes towards your masters, then go to do your PC service. When you get back you usually just have a final project or one or two classes to complete your degree. I know for the Tulane program, your PC service counts as your field experience.

As far as applying - you apply for PC and the university separately but at the same time and must be accepted to both. I'm not sure about how it affects your med school chances or plans, but MI is a great program time-wise because you're essentially finishing your master's and peace corps in 3 years or so as opposed to the 4 years or more it might otherwise take to do both.

Hi, I'm actually really really interested in this program as well and stumbled upon this thread.

Did you ever get anymore information?

Has anybody done here done this before?