International Research Opportunity. What would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jahnke07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone :) Im starting to stress over a situation.

I have been part of a research team at my school for two years now. I recieved a stipend this pass summer to recieve advanced training to go overseas next summer for 8 weeks to particate in one of six research projects.

There is one project in France, one in Denmark, one in England and three in Spain. The main problem is I would leave the end of May and return around July 31st. I plan to start classes at Kent the first week of August.:scared:

What would you do? Would you go? If so where and why?

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Is this trip something you have already committed to and accepted money to participate in? If so, I've always been one to keep prior commitments so I would try to work something out. Are the dates flexible? Could you email the program director of your trip to see if you could start earlier and end earlier?

I guess you could do the research trip and come straight back to school but that would be pretty rough and would make moving into your apartment difficult.

As far as locations go, I've always wanted to go to England. :)

Try to fit in the trip any way you can, It was a big regret of mine not doing an international project or study in college (once you are out of college it becomes a lot harder to do these things, once working almost impossible).
How much time do you have between returning to the US and moving to OH. Assuming orientation starts on a monday you want to be heading to OH no latter than the Saturday. My thoughts is figure out everything you need to "close out" before starting Pod school and try to close those things out before the project so once you get back there is not much more to do than to go to school.

Members don't see this ad :)
save your money for podiatry school!

or go travel the world and experience different cultures!

Thanks for the replies!

I think I am already committed due to the fact that I recieved the training and stipend. I will recieve the other half of the stipend when I leave. Its no money out of my pocket. Everything is paid for plus I get paid.

I have not told them about my choice of going to pod school yet. So eventually I guess ill have to see if I can ask to come back sooner. As of now the dates are fixed. I will probably have less then 10 days from the time I return to the states and my classes at Kent.

England sounds good to me as well :D

i will be studying and preparing for podiatry school as you travel around the globe. muaaahhh

As far as studying before first year, my advice as a third year student is don't do it. Enjoy your summer. You will have plenty of time to study during your four years of pod school.

Anyway, that is my two cents. I'd go to Europe. :thumbup:

Last edited:
As far as studying before first year, my advice as a third year student is don't do it. Enjoy your summer. You will have plenty of time to study during your four years of pod school.

Thank you for your great advice! I'm motivated to go and to make the best of it :cool:

but i want to be the best, so imma start studying now.

I disagree with you. Enjoy your time while you have it. As PacPod said you will have plenty of time to study later.

i9m6jev3casw.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user