International Residency after US Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bfwhsm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might sound like a silly choice but I might be interested in practicing in a different country (eg. Korea) in a few years from now. Would it be even possible to graduate US medical school and do residency abroad so I can work in the respective country afterwards -- I understand that this would mean that I probably won't be able to practice in United States?

For a country like Korea, I am aware that it might be a better option to complete residency in US and then attempt to practice in their international hospitals or US army bases as an US-trained physician. If the first option of doing residency entirely abroad isn't possible, would there be any options to take electives during residency abroad, as to be able to spend a significant amount of time outside US?

If you couldn't tell already, I am bit eager to "escape" the life in United States, at least for a few years.

Thank you for any input in this matter

Members don't see this ad.

I say no. That's kind of stupid OP. Just my opinion though.

Members don't see this ad :)
This might sound like a silly choice but I might be interested in practicing in a different country (eg. Korea) in a few years from now. Would it be even possible to graduate US medical school and do residency abroad so I can work in the respective country afterwards -- I understand that this would mean that I probably won't be able to practice in United States?

For a country like Korea, I am aware that it might be a better option to complete residency in US and then attempt to practice in their international hospitals or US army bases as an US-trained physician. If the first option of doing residency entirely abroad isn't possible, would there be any options to take electives during residency abroad, as to be able to spend a significant amount of time outside US?

If you couldn't tell already, I am bit eager to "escape" the life in United States, at least for a few years.

Thank you for any input in this matter
Please don't do this OP! Much better to do your residency in the US, where it will likely be recognized in many if not most places overseas (not sure about Korea but obviously worth checking out since you're interested). However, if you do your residency in Korea, not only may it not be recognized in many other nations around the world, but this includes the US i.e. you will have to start your residency all over again if you ever want to come back to the US. (And there's no guarantee you can come back in future because there may not be any US residency spots left for you, even if you are a US citizen.)

Besides, if you want to "escape" life in the US, can't you do electives during residency/fellowship? Anecdotally, I have had American friends who did an elective in places like Sydney, Australia during their fellowship years. They loved it. And a nation like Australia will (currently) accept most of their US residency/fellowship training, so they don't have to start all over again if they ever want to move to Australia (which in fact one of them is planning on doing).

TL;DR: Finish your residency in the US, go for an elective abroad during residency, profit (because US medical training is widely recognized around the world, whereas the reverse isn't necessarily true).

Reactions: 1 user
How are you going to unlock your golden handcuffs? Few countries will allow you to pay back your student loans like the US will so unless you plan on doing something shady or never come back, you're kinda stuck here.

Just curious, is there a reason OP wouldn't be able to just do residency here and then go practice anywhere in Korea? Does Korea not recognize U.S. residency programs?

Thanks for the replies, scathing and constructive ones alike.

How long can these "electives" be during residency? I figure that there are at most few weeks long...

Thanks for the help

Just curious, is there a reason OP wouldn't be able to just do residency here and then go practice anywhere in Korea? Does Korea not recognize U.S. residency programs?
You have to take a licensing exam, last I checked. Don't have to redo residency, but you just have to take a test. Good luck with all the Korean terminology, though. ****'s tough.

Go for it. One less to compete with #GunningForDayzzzzzz