international scholar laureate program - delegation on medicine?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by fun8stuff, Nov 13, 2005.

1. fun8stuff

fun8stuff *hiding from patients*
    15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hey, has anyone here ever participated in or heard of this program? i'm trying figure out if it's something cool to do or if they just want my money.

2. fun8stuff

15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  3. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you have the 5K to do it then go for it. If not I could find better ways to spend the money.

4. logos

logos 100% Organic
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think my girlfriend may have gone on this last summer. Is it a trip to australia? I'll check with her later tonight and get back to you.

5. fun8stuff

15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    yup, it is- south africa, austraila, or china. it's between this and doing some type of research/externship through different specialities (paid).

6. logos

logos 100% Organic
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yep...thats what she went on. She enjoyed the program and it did give her the topic of one of her application essays. Her biggest problem with the program was that she was a little older than most of the other participants. Basically, she was already 21 and used to being able to drink. The others were younger and thus were more into the idea of trying to take as much advantage of the lower drinking age as possible.

If you have any specific questions, I'm sure she'd be more than willing to get on here and answer herself (probably tomorrow...).

7. fun8stuff

15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    ok, thanks a lot for checking up on that for me. I will be 23 by this summer, so perhaps I am too old. Perhaps you could ask her if she thinks my time would be better spent doing research and/or doing rotations through different specialities this summer- given that I am a M1?

8. quideam

quideam Too tired to complain
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Wow, that's insanely expensive considering how short it is. I figured that for five grand, it would at least be a two month program or something! Seriously, if you have that much money for the summer, spend it traveling on your own and volunteer at some clinic in a developing country instead. I mean, with 5,000, you could do a month volunteering with CFHI, and then have a month plus $$ left over to travel in whatever country you pick. It's your choice, but it seems like it wouldn't be worth it to me....

Q