International student applying to undergrad medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goalzz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
I am a junior in high school, doing IB and I intend to apply to an undergraduate medical school in Australia. I have chosen Australia because of the short time period and also because I won't be able to study or practice medicine in my country because I haven't lived there enough to know the language.

In regards to applying, I have the following questions and I would be grateful if I could get some answers.

1. Around how many schools should I apply to?
2. IB grades will be issued in July, after my high school graduation. Is it possible for me to apply before that with my predicted IB scores and high school GPA?
3. How can I study for the ISAT?
4. Do I need to take the SAT or SAT subject tests?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I am sorry to bother everyone again but I really need help with this. I understand everyone is busy but I would really be thankful if I could get some answers. Sorry to be a bother and thank you.

So, I don't think anyone's deliberately ignoring you here.

Just that most of us aren't going to be able to answer your questions. At all. Generally posters in here that are of an international background did not attend medical school straight out of high school. this means we had different requirements to get in and wrote a different set of exams. I don't even know what the ISAT is.

A place to start might be this website: worldwidemed.co

If you're patient, perhaps someone with relevant experience will respond in time. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
1.If you are looking to practice medicine in Australia,

1.Flinders(ISAT)
2.James Cook
3.Monash(ISAT)
4.Adelaide
5.New South Wales(ISAT)
6.Newcastle
7.UWA(ISAT)
8.Western Sydney

Didn't include UQ and Sydney,because they are 3yr bachelors+4yr graduate MD

2. I will say it's possible,since you get your results close to the application deadline,that is usually May for most universities.

3.Purchase the ISAT practice test for Acer,that should be good enough.

If you want more practice,especially for critical reasoning(common weakness of most people), Readtheory will be a good place to practise.

Online Reading Activities | ReadTheory

4. As you have taken the IB,you don't have to. SAT is for US high school graduates and they will be weighed together, with their US high school diploma.

The US SAT can be used in Aus?
Didn't know that. I thought they used the UMAT.
IW8simF.gif

(please don't ask me about the UMAT, I know next to nothing about that).

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that the time period is shorter. if you mean total number of years spent in university, I can see how. 6 years of medical school in some Australian schools (not all) versus 4 years of undergrad and 4 years medical school in most other Western countries. however, post-graduate training ('residency') follows the UK system in Australia and is longer compared to many other countries like the US or Canada. For various reasons. If you wanted surgery for instance, you're looking at about 10 years of training after medical school. This doesn't exactly shave you any time in the long run, it's still ages before you're fully qualified.

Also, I know it's hard as you're (16??) but try to look ahead 6 years.
Do you want a job in Australia or your home country? Outlook isn't good at this moment in Australia, it's in flux right now with the whole visa situation (anything is possible). But right this minute, unless something changes further, you could be looking at only practicing for up to 4 years in Australia after graduation (you may not be able to finish residency depending on what you'er wanting to be). unless you go rural - there may be exceptions with this currently. Do you want practice rural or regional medicine? Because that's where most of the jobs are for internationals regardless of VISA changes. If you're going to move to Australia for a medical degree, you have to consider the possibility of having a plan B should you not be able to find work here for more than a couple of years.

Try to expand your planning a little.
this isn't like any other profession or degree. you don't graduate from medical school and become a "doctor". In title yes. but you still need further training and education and it's getting harder and harder to find residency positions in most Western countries. Medical school is merely one step of the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The schools usually look at the high school diploma,except the competitive ones like UNSW,Sydney.
They also look at the ISAT,which is an international equivalent of the UMAT. My friend,who got into undergraduate medicine,practised for the ISAT,using the UMAT materials,as ISAT materials were scarce.

Definitely agree with you on the longer residency period,many people do not consider that factor when working in Australia,they think it's similar to shorter residency like US/Canada.However,based on my friends who are currently studying medical school in Australia,they are willing to work in rural medicine in Australia as the work conditions in my home country are far too stressful.(80h work weeks are the norm) In fact,my friend told me every student from my home country in his current medical school year,are still fixated towards working in Australia,despite the changes in Visa.

1. Do your research carefully. There are quite a few medical schools in Australia.

2. Intake into Medicine in Australia is usually at the beginning of the year. Do you have your final IB score now? If that is the case, they will take your IB score and ISAT score into consideration. Most will also offer you an interview.

3. I didn't study for the ISAT, the materials I found were quite short. Practicing for UMAT might help.

4. SAT is not a requirement as far as I know.

Before you decide about applying for Medicine in Australia, make sure you do your research especially about the future after Medicine. I know it is a long way away but the current situation isn't so well for international student who intends to train and practice after Med School not to mention the tuition and cost of living.