International Student - Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tulla Luana

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just looking for some basic input on how competitive I could be in the AMCAS application process. I'm considering MD only for now.

First-time applicant; INTERNATIONAL student. Perhaps I should also mention I'm Latino.

I'm currently finishing a research-based master's degree; educated in Canada with a science major and social sciences minor.

cGPA: 3.84
sGPA: 3.8
gGPA: 3.8

MCAT: Took the exam twice; first time got a 30 (12/7/11) and a 524 (131/130/131/132) the second time I wrote it (the first score was more than 3 years old).

ECs: Overall pretty cookie-cutter. 300+ hours of hospital volunteering, more than 10 academic awards (scholarships/travel grants/dean's honor list etc.); tons of research experience (did 2 x 8-month full-time research assistant internships in undergrad + 4th year thesis + master's thesis) with publications, posters, international conferences; lots of solid leadership positions in student organizations; ~100 hours of shadowing a surgeon; volunteer tutoring for low-income students.

Based on which schools say they consider internationals, I was thinking of applying to:

Baylor
Boston
UCLA
Columbia
Emory
Dartmouth
Georgetown
USC
Northwestern
UPenn
Stanford
SUNY Upstate
Stony Brook
Tulane
Chicago-Pritzker
Pitt
University of Connecticut
UCSF
University of North Carolina
University of Virginia
Vanderbilt
Brown
WashU
Cornell
Duke
Yale

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am an international student as well. I know the struggle :) :) :) From your stats, you look like a solid candidate. All the best!!!