International Student (England) Pre Med Application.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toffee123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I'm from England and I don't understand how the American University system works . Hm . :)

I want to study a Pre-Med at Hollins University.

However though, firstly I have NO IDEA when exactly to apply, what are the dates of application for INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS >

Secondly, how do you know if you have been accepted ?

Thirdly is an American Pre Med the same as an English MBBS Medicine degree of which you do before the M.D ?

Fourthly, when you study a Pre Med, do you also alongside it study another degree of your choice ?

PLEASE HELP !

Members don't see this ad.

I'll try and answer your questions in order.

First, you need to take standardized tests for entry into a US university. This generally means taking the SAT or the ACT (SAT is generally more accepted). Once that is done, you would apply to the college (Hollins, in this case) around December-January. The application deadline is February 1st for Hollins.

Second, you know you are accepted when they notify you (usually via email, then later snail mail) sometime during the Spring. You then usually have to make a deposit to reserve your place in the following autumn's class.

Third, a "pre-med" degree is nothing like an English MBBS degree. You have absolutely no clinical training and when you are done you are not a doctor by any stretch of the imagination. Most universities don't have an actual pre-med degree at all, but rather a series of prerequisite courses that you must take in order to be eligible to apply to medical school.

Fourth, medical schools let you get a degree in anything you want as long as you additionally do the pre-med coursework. This could be English, social science, math, biology, etc. Whatever you want.

First of all, I want to ask, why not just attend Enlgish University and become doctor?

It is really difficult for international students to get into American MD Schools, and you would have better chance at becoming a doctor in your country.

Besides, England has great medical schools!

If you want to practice in the US, I recommend getting your medical degree in England and then apply for license in the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
hahaha. funny... u found sdn before AMCAS?
AMCAS is where you apply. application dates are the same. they communicate with u if u are accepted (email/mail/call)

I'll try and answer your questions in order.

First, you need to take standardized tests for entry into a US university. This generally means taking the SAT or the ACT (SAT is generally more accepted). Once that is done, you would apply to the college (Hollins, in this case) around December-January. The application deadline is February 1st for Hollins.

Second, you know you are accepted when they notify you (usually via email, then later snail mail) sometime during the Spring. You then usually have to make a deposit to reserve your place in the following autumn's class.

Third, a "pre-med" degree is nothing like an English MBBS degree. You have absolutely no clinical training and when you are done you are not a doctor by any stretch of the imagination. Most universities don't have an actual pre-med degree at all, but rather a series of prerequisite courses that you must take in order to be eligible to apply to medical school.

Fourth, medical schools let you get a degree in anything you want as long as you additionally do the pre-med coursework. This could be English, social science, math, biology, etc. Whatever you want.

That was very helpful thank you ! :D So I've got another question..
:)
After doing the Pre Med, can you immediately apply for a MD/PhD program, that is offered for example by New York Med College ?:confused:

That was very helpful thank you ! :D So I've got another question..
:)
After doing the Pre Med, can you immediately apply for a MD/PhD program, that is offered for example by New York Med College ?:confused:

Yes. After completing your bachelor's degree at a US school, you are eligible to apply to MD/PhD and other dual degree programs. Good luck!

So any reason you want to attend Hollins in particular? and @bannie: the OP shouldn't even be looking at AMCAS yet, he's applying to college!

OP, the best way to get yourself organized is to check out Hollins' website, find out their deadlines, take a look at the application, and see what majors they have.

So any reason you want to attend Hollins in particular? and @bannie: the OP shouldn't even be looking at AMCAS yet, he's applying to college!

OP, the best way to get yourself organized is to check out Hollins' website, find out their deadlines, take a look at the application, and see what majors they have.

Not really . Something about it captivated me.. It's either Hollins University or Agnes Scott College. I hope I get a choice and PRAY that they let me in . They would make my life .

Not really . Something about it captivated me.. It's either Hollins University or Agnes Scott College. I hope I get a choice and PRAY that they let me in . They would make my life .

I've applied to Agnes too! Haha. Schrizto called you a he so I just want to make sure you know its an all girls achool. Also, I moved away from the UK when I was 15 and let me tell you from personal experience, think more than twice about this decision. It won't be like what you are thinking, I'm not judging you so don't get he wrong idea but a lot of people in the UK seem to have fantasies about the US. If I were you I would stay in the UK, you're education is hardly going to suffer over there and it won't make you less of a doctor in the end.

Pre-med is not a degree you graduate with, but rather a set of requirements you need in order to go to med school over here. Plus what you learn over there is not completely the same and taught at a different pace than here. It takes a lot of adjusting, it's not the friendliest and most welcoming of cultures I can tell you that. I find the atmosphere cold, and I'm not talking about temperature.

Its nice to see some UK people on here :)

Last edited: