International student from a non-US college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bisrat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am an Ethiopian Public Health graduate, now completing a master's degree in neurobiology in Finland. I want to go for a med school in the US, but for starters they require that I complete my previous education in a US college. Do you know any place where I could be elligible with my current status (assuming that i fulfill all other requirments)?

Many thanks,

bisrat

Members don't see this ad.

Just to be clear, Canadian undergrad education is accepted by US medical schools also.

It might be possible to go to a Carib medical school like St Georges or Ross with your educational background. From there, you might be able to obtain a US residency spot (although you should review this board about this issue)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not aware of any US medical schools which do not require that you have at least 90 units completed in a US undergraduate university.

Well that is not true, all you need to do is apply into a premed program and the fulfill all the prerequisites. then u write your MCAT and you good to go. The only problem however is funding your education which is no small joke. If you can get a relative to co-sign your loans, then you go straight ahead and give it a shot. I wish you all the best. The pre-med programs vary but you can do one intensive one for a year.

Well that is not true, all you need to do is apply into a premed program and the fulfill all the prerequisites. then u write your MCAT and you good to go. The only problem however is funding your education which is no small joke. If you can get a relative to co-sign your loans, then you go straight ahead and give it a shot. I wish you all the best. The pre-med programs vary but you can do one intensive one for a year.

Hmmm....admittedly, I have not looked at an MSAR for years, but the last I recalled you needed 90 units frm an American or Canadian undergrad school.

Perhaps this has changed...nonetheless, since completing the usual pre-med courses takes at least 2 years, there is almost no way to do it in 1 year especially since you need 2 years of Chemistry (1 year Inorganic, 1 year Organic).

Hmmm....admittedly, I have not looked at an MSAR for years, but the last I recalled you needed 90 units frm an American or Canadian undergrad school.

Perhaps this has changed...nonetheless, since completing the usual pre-med courses takes at least 2 years, there is almost no way to do it in 1 year especially since you need 2 years of Chemistry (1 year Inorganic, 1 year Organic).
You are correct. Doctor Means MD is incorrect. I have first-hand experience with this painful issue. Some schools will take you with 60 credits completed in the U.S. Some will only take undergraduate credits, while others will take a mix of undergraduate and graduate work to fulfill the 60-90 credits.

Well i don't know which schools you applied to but at least two schools I checked just said that you have to come to the US to fulfill the prerequisites before you can apply, they did not state the 60-90 hour requirement (as to whether they will require that later, i have not asked them). Also, if this is the case, there are accelerated premed postbac programs that can help you achieve this goal in a year.

Well i don't know which schools you applied to but at least two schools I checked just said that you have to come to the US to fulfill the prerequisites before you can apply, they did not state the 60-90 hour requirement (as to whether they will require that later, i have not asked them). Also, if this is the case, there are accelerated premed postbac programs that can help you achieve this goal in a year.
There are over 120 Allopathic and around 30 osteopathic schools in the U.S.

These are generally Special Master's Degree programs which require that you have already a science background and have completed the medical school pre-requisites. They are not designed to get around taking the required two years of courses but rather for people who need to boost their gpa generally. My ex was a grad of one of these programs.