International student here. What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eeyore1228

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm an international student studying at Penn State. I just finished a semester of junior year and have only now decided that I want to apply to dental schools after I graduate in Spring 2019. I’m pretty stressed lol, so I’d really appreciate it if someone could look into my current stats + plans for the next three semesters and tell me what they think/ share some advice?

1. I am a biotechnology major and I currently have a 3.3cGPA . I’m hoping to graduate with at least a 3.5-3.6 cgpa and 3.5 sgpa before I send in my applications. Is a 3.5/~3.6 competitive for most schools, including Ivy League ones? My transcripts show that I was stuck at a 3.0 during freshman and sophomore year, but I'm planning to work my ass off the next two years to show how I progressed from a 3.0 to 3.6

2. In addition to the courses that all the schools require, I have already taken biochemistry, microbiology, genetics, molecular biology, immunology, statistics and calculus classes. Will this give me an upper-hand in any way? I am also planning on taking an anatomy and a physiology class, and am wondering if that’s unnecessary pressure with my own major classes?

3. Right now I’m thinking I should take the DAT sometime during the end of summer 2018 so that I get 3ish months to prepare. I will be taking an advanced organic chem class during that summer (I've taken introductory ones for the DAT already) while I prepare for the DAT. I have a LOT of brushing up to do on gen chem and certain topics in biology since I took them during freshman year. Any suggestions as to how I can prepare for the DAT to get a 20+AA ?

4. Currently my extra curricular activities include:
- volunteering for red cross (300+ hours)
- volunteering at a nearby hospital (200 hours)
- assisting in a neuroscience lab (80 hours over a summer and fall semester)
- being a learning assistant for organic chemistry classes
- being in a club that represents the college of science and giving tours to prospective science students

Other things I’m thinking of doing:
- shadowing a few dentists (I'm thinking around 200 hours)
- joining a club that helps students with disabilities
- possibly becoming a member of the pre dental society

Is this all too much/too little/not relevant?
What else can I do to get dentistry specific experience?

I know these are a lot of questions but I’m super determined and hopeful to get into the dental world and would be really grateful for any kind of feedback! Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey there, I'm going to attempt to give you my best synopsis on your situation. So, a 3.5-3.6 cGPA and sGPA are right around midline and will give you a good chance at most schools. The upward trend you plan to exhibit on your way to that GPA will definitely be a bonus as well. In addition, you'd need to pair that GPA with a rather solid DAT in order to get into ivy league schools IMHO. I'm anticipating a 22+ if you want the best chance at getting into the top schools. I highly suggest taking 2.5-3 months as you planned and use Ari's study schedule and materials. I took mine this past summer and spent 9 weeks and used his schedule religiously and scored fairly well.

The upper division science courses you took will help you, especially if you took heavy loads of science classes in one semester; it'll prove to ADCOMs that you can handle a rigorous load.
As for your extracurriculars, it seems as if you have lots of hospital hours, and I've heard that it may work against them. Dental schools want to see dental hours to display your commitment and sureness towards entering the profession, so definitely try to start ASAP. As for your other experiences, they're healthy and will be looked upon positively. Becoming a member and pursuing an officer position in a pre-dental club could definitely give you a slight edge as well.

If you can squeeze A&P into your course-load, then I'd suggest it as it will help with the didactic portion of dental school, which is heavy on head anatomy during the early years. If you cannot, then don't spread yourself too thin. All in all, you can definitely get into dental school if you prove your commitment, follow your plan through, stay disciplined, and truly believe that dentistry is the profession you can see yourself in for the rest of your life. Cheers my friend, and merry christmas! Wish you the best.

Reactions: 1 users
Okay! So question by question:
1) I would say a 3.5 is average, but having that upward trend definitely helps. Really try to aim for nothing less than As in all your future courses.
2) All these upper division courses will help when studying for the DAT :) Good job on taking them! As for A&P, it will help with the DAT too, if you can take it; if not, I think you will be fine. But in regards to these courses for dental school, based on what I've read here and what I've seen at my interviews, these courses are usually broader than what you will learn in DS. While they help, they do not necessarily give you a step-up.
3) For the DAT, taking it during summer 2018 would be best. This way you can study for those 3ish months, and have enough time for a retake (if need be) before the cycle opens June 1st 2019. Keep in mind, though, you will be taking a gap year. For tips and tricks for the DAT, refer here: DAT Breakdown Compilation Thread (future test takers, look here!). It's a thread with the breakdowns of many recent test takers :)
4) Your ECs help (they show your interest in healthcare), but you don't have any shadowing/dental volunteering hours. You really need to get those in, as many schools require shadowing hours (aim for ~100). Becoming a member of your pre-dental society will help too, and possibly help you with dental apps, interviews, DAT prep, etc :)

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am an international student too. But I am not Canadian. Just got accepted to dental schools this cycle with 23AA and 3.7 gpa. My friend had very similar stat as you but didn’t get any interivews. If you wanna get in, make sure you have 3.6 gpa and 22+AA at least, maybe you can get in one if you are lucky. International students are much harder to get in compared with US citizens so don’t expect their stats will work in your situation. Good luck!

Hey there, I'm going to attempt to give you my best synopsis on your situation. So, a 3.5-3.6 cGPA and sGPA are right around midline and will give you a good chance at most schools. The upward trend you plan to exhibit on your way to that GPA will definitely be a bonus as well. In addition, you'd need to pair that GPA with a rather solid DAT in order to get into ivy league schools IMHO. I'm anticipating a 22+ if you want the best chance at getting into the top schools. I highly suggest taking 2.5-3 months as you planned and use Ari's study schedule and materials. I took mine this past summer and spent 9 weeks and used his schedule religiously and scored fairly well.

The upper division science courses you took will help you, especially if you took heavy loads of science classes in one semester; it'll prove to ADCOMs that you can handle a rigorous load.
As for your extracurriculars, it seems as if you have lots of hospital hours, and I've heard that it may work against them. Dental schools want to see dental hours to display your commitment and sureness towards entering the profession, so definitely try to start ASAP. As for your other experiences, they're healthy and will be looked upon positively. Becoming a member and pursuing an officer position in a pre-dental club could definitely give you a slight edge as well.

If you can squeeze A&P into your course-load, then I'd suggest it as it will help with the didactic portion of dental school, which is heavy on head anatomy during the early years. If you cannot, then don't spread yourself too thin. All in all, you can definitely get into dental school if you prove your commitment, follow your plan through, stay disciplined, and truly believe that dentistry is the profession you can see yourself in for the rest of your life. Cheers my friend, and merry christmas! Wish you the best.
Okay! So question by question:
1) I would say a 3.5 is average, but having that upward trend definitely helps. Really try to aim for nothing less than As in all your future courses.
2) All these upper division courses will help when studying for the DAT :) Good job on taking them! As for A&P, it will help with the DAT too, if you can take it; if not, I think you will be fine. But in regards to these courses for dental school, based on what I've read here and what I've seen at my interviews, these courses are usually broader than what you will learn in DS. While they help, they do not necessarily give you a step-up.
3) For the DAT, taking it during summer 2018 would be best. This way you can study for those 3ish months, and have enough time for a retake (if need be) before the cycle opens June 1st 2019. Keep in mind, though, you will be taking a gap year. For tips and tricks for the DAT, refer here: DAT Breakdown Compilation Thread (future test takers, look here!). It's a thread with the breakdowns of many recent test takers :)
4) Your ECs help (they show your interest in healthcare), but you don't have any shadowing/dental volunteering hours. You really need to get those in, as many schools require shadowing hours (aim for ~100). Becoming a member of your pre-dental society will help too, and possibly help you with dental apps, interviews, DAT prep, etc :)

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions :)

I just realised that I said that I will graduate in Spring 2019. I'm actually going to graduate in Fall 2019 (I'm doing an extra semester) while *if i get any* going for interviews. Will dental schools consider the fact that my cgpa and sgpa are both going to get higher during my last semester, which will be after I send in my applications?

Also should I ask my professors to talk about my proficiency in English/ lack of an accent (since I'm from an Asian country) in their recommendation letters + mention my first prize award in a university wide public speaking competition? I feel like it's difficult for international students to convey that they speak well just through their personal statements.

I am an international student too. But I am not Canadian. Just got accepted to dental schools this cycle with 23AA and 3.7 gpa. My friend had very similar stat as you but didn’t get any interivews. If you wanna get in, make sure you have 3.6 gpa and 22+AA at least, maybe you can get in one if you are lucky. International students are much harder to get in compared with US citizens so don’t expect their stats will work in your situation. Good luck!

Hi, I' currently attending my Undergraduate at Texas with a 3.6 GPA and my DAT as 21 AA. This cycle will be my first year applying, should I retake my DAT and aim higher than 22+ to be matriculated to schools like UMich, Temple, NYU,Pitt and Penn ?

I was also an international applicant. I can tell you that internationals are disadvantaged, but it doesn't mean you can't get into a good school.
1) The average gpa for a first time enrollee is a 3.54, meaning you will be below average at an Ivy league school with a 3.5-3.6 however, an upward trend is favorable. Also, keep in mind you are not an American and the standard is higher for you.
2) I doubt this will give you an upper hand as most pre-dents take these courses. Take the additional courses if you are interested in them, they will help in dental school but I believe your main focus should be to get your gpa as high as possible.
3) Suggestions for a 20+ AA DAT would be to get the right resources and have a schedule. Take the official ADEA practice exams to ensure you're scoring in the range of where you want to score. Keep in mind the average DAT score for a first time enrollee is slightly above a 20AA.
4) You have great experiences however, most pre-dents have them as well. If you want to attend some of the top schools, you would need to present a unique application.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I' currently attending my Undergraduate at Texas with a 3.6 GPA and my DAT as 21 AA. This cycle will be my first year applying, should I retake my DAT and aim higher than 22+ to be matriculated to schools like UMich, Temple, NYU,Pitt and Penn ?
Yes, I think you should retake your DAT. Aim for 23+for those schools. I got in Temple with 23 but I think for NYU, probably 21 is enough.