Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

International student med school admission?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by niksem, Feb 26, 2002.

  1. niksem

    niksem Member

    Feb 24, 2002
    Likes Received:
    I am originally from Russia. I am in junior standing right now and am in 4-year college in Nebraska. I will apply into a med school this Summer. When I started to research different medical schools and compare them, I found that there are many schools that do not accept international students. Most of them are public schools. I was also suprised that the university for which I have done some research in past year do not accept international students either.
    By the time I apply into a medical school, I would have had more than 3 years of staying in US and PAYING taxes. Why would not public school accept p
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. squeek

    squeek Senior Member

    Jan 21, 2002
    Likes Received:
    US med schools will accept you if you have:
    1) Permanent resident/alien status, or
    2) a Greencard.
  4. tBw

    tBw totally deluded

    Oct 6, 2001
    Likes Received:
    squeek is correct. However, having a greencard means you are a permanent resident, and vice versa. These are not two seperate categories, they are the same thing.

    As far as feeling discriminated against I guess I think you are fortunate to have been able to come to this country and study. Continuing on with those studies is a priviledge, not a right. As public medical schools receive federal and state funds to train physicians to work in the US it is not unreasonable that they require you to show some plan/ability to remain in the US - like permanent residency. Some private schools will accept you without this but you will normally have to put 4 years tuition in escrow before being accepted. Again, they are ensuring that they receive payment in advance for the training position they offer, rather than risking someone leaving the country mid-degree without completing or fully paying off loans and tuition. I, personally, think that is reasonable also.
  5. Rafaelc378

    Rafaelc378 Junior Member

    Dec 3, 2001
    Likes Received:
    Squeek, having a green card makes you a permanent resident/resident alien. So therefore 1 & 2 are the same thing. Sorry if I'm nit picking.

    Niksem, eurotrash is right. And I agree with what he said. If you are serious about attending medical school in the US, perhaps you should look into having your status changed into that of a permanent resident/green card holder. Staying in the US for three years really means nothing if your visa only allows you to stay for the duration of your schooling. And as for taxes, that also means nothing either. My uncle (Philippine citizen) is in California working on an H-1 visa and pays taxes. My dad (US Citizen) owns rental property in the Philippines and pay Philippine taxes. Though they can be a big bite, paying taxes are a necessity for the public services that the gov't provides. You are only contributing your fair share when you pay taxes.


Share This Page