International student wanting to go DO route..need advice about private funding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mally1995

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am also an international student that wants to go to DO school. I was accepted to my top DO choice, but I have no way of paying for it on my own. I have someone willing to cosign and I'm considering on using a loan to pay all 4 years. I understand that private loans are basically a last option that should be considered, but it seems like it's my only option as of right now. What do you guys think I should do? I'm from the Bahamas

Members don't see this ad.

Isnt it good you have someone willing to cosign, most people don't. I think that's your only option or you might get some financial aid from your school.

Not sure/clear what you are worrying about? All DO schools are expensive (compared to MD), and many med students are using private loans. You already have someone willing to co-sign, what is your worry? You are not eligible for US federal loans by being an International, private loan is NOT your last option, most likely your ONLY option unless your family willing to dope out the money. If your stats are super strong for scholarship, you won't be asking this question here, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah I understand that! I guess it worries me somewhat about paying it all back. Like I've decided I'd want to attack my debt hard (you know the good ole fashion dave ramsey kind of way) by living like a resident for a few years after residency and finding a job (I'm hoping that I can atleast put 100K a year to pay my debt in 3 to 4 years. Do you guys think that's realistic or nah?

Na. You'll spend like 10 years paying it back. Chill

do you think it's worth it?
I think the question here really is - do you think its worth it? Have you done the calculation for yourself? There is no way people can answer that question for you. Sit down, grab a laptop and figure it out on excel. And really put some thoughts on if you actually want to be a doctor in the US.