International Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grrath

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an International student who has attended a US institution for my entire college and med school career (so far). I just wanted to see if there were any other non-US citizens in residency around here and to give me any heads up about how the visa situation is gonna play out when I graduate from medical school.

Do I have to complete any applications or anything before I get into any programmes?
When is the best time to apply for a green card or citizenship?
I heard that I have to go back to my native country for a while before the US will allow me to become a citizen. Is that true?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh hey, I got the same questions I am currently studying at Chicago Medical School. If I found out the answer, I will let you know.

best wishes

Not sure if other forum has this answer but I have the exact same question. I do know programs offer J-1 and H-1, and that with the J you have to go back to your country for a while unless granted an exception. I just want to find a good resource where says which programs support H-1, so I can make that higher in my list.

Thanks and good luck with everything!

I'm an International student who has attended a US institution for my entire college and med school career (so far). I just wanted to see if there were any other non-US citizens in residency around here and to give me any heads up about how the visa situation is gonna play out when I graduate from medical school.

Do I have to complete any applications or anything before I get into any programmes?
When is the best time to apply for a green card or citizenship?
I heard that I have to go back to my native country for a while before the US will allow me to become a citizen. Is that true?

I'm sorry this is off topic but as an international student, how did you get accepted into med school?

I'm sorry this is off topic but as an international student, how did you get accepted into med school?
Apply like everyone else but only to schools that accept international schools. Refer to MSAR for specifics.

Same to me,just want to find a good resource where says which programs support H-1, thank you
1jY6yOa

Hello,

I'm a non-US citizen at a US medical school currently in my 4th year and I'm in the interview season for residency right now.
The ability of residency programs to sponsor visas varies between institution and also between specialty, so while hospital X may provide J1/H1B for medicine, they may not provide for surgery. (What specialty are you thinking of) It is mostly random, but I found that often state schools such as the UC schools, UW schools, etc were less likely to sponsor H1B's than programs associated with private universities. There was no "list" per say that I found. What I did was look on the website of each of the residency programs I was interested in, to see if they mentioned H1B. The best bet is to check the "application process" or "FAQ" section of the program. Usually they will say something like this:

"We support H1B for international students" - good to go
"We support H1B for non-citizens at US med schools but only J1 for students at international schools" - good to go
"We only provide J1 for graduates of international medical schools" -> This is ambiguous, so call the program coordinator and explain you're a non-US citizen at a US med school and looking for H1B
"We do not support H1B"
Some programs don't offer any info at all, so call the program coordinator and explain your situation.

Other things you could do, is ask upper years at your med school who are internationals applying in the same specialty, or ask the person who "runs" the international student program at your school, usually one of the deans, for more info.

When you actually fill out the ERAS application, there's a box for citizenship status, and if you put non-US citizen, a box opens up where you put your visa status (like F1) and then another box opens up, about whether you want to apply for H1B, J1, both, or neither. I checked the H1B box only. I got interviews at programs that I wasn't sure if they sponsored or not, since I could not reach their program coordinator. I assume they saw that I checked the H1b, or else they wasted both my time and theirs by interviewing me. Which is also a possibility.

I assume (and have heard from admissions/counsellors/people) that they will take the H1B requirement into consideration when ranking me (It will probably hurt my chances, I'm not sure though) and then come March, I would match, and I would then start the H1b paperwork process with the program that matched me.

Last edited:
I'm also an international MS4 at a U.S. med school.

The visa situation, as MatyasKiraly says, is highly variable. The GME websites are the best resource for visa information, but with the caveat that their blanket policies apply only to foreign grads most of the time. Even if a GME website says something like "H1 visas not sponsored at all", the institution/department may in fact be willing to sponsor an H1 for those of us in the unique situation of being U.S. grads.

My approach was:
Middle of third year, research GME websites of potential residency programs, and write to GME asking about visa policy
I did away subIs specifically at institutions where an H1 visa is definitely available
Applied broadly to programs that interested me even if the visa situation was unclear
After receiving invites, I emailed the program coordinator to clarify the departmental/institutional visa policy (NOTE: institutional and departmental policies vary often)
I accepted invites at institutions where an H1 is offered; I do have a few interviews at places that only offer J1, but they are at the bottom of my tentative rank list

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me. I'm applying into surgery and have a grid of programs sponsoring H1 visas. If anyone is interested, I can share.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! I'm an international student too doing Pre-Med atm. I was wondering how did you guys get into MedSchool?

Try these links

Orientation about Visas ??
http://www-forums.studentdoctor.net/index.php?threads/Orientation-about-Visas-??.450230/
** pretty long post. Keep reading and you'll find almost everything.

International Student Guide to matching as an American Medical Grad (AMG)
http://www-forums.studentdoctor.net/index.php?threads/International-Student-Guide-to-matching-as-an-American-Medical-Grad-(AMG).1200652/

I am also an fourth year international student going through the match this year as an AMGs.

I consulted with an immigration lawyer for physicians in Dec 2017 and gathered recent information about the visa options/ path to the green card during residency.

VISA options/Path to Green Card During Residency for Int'l (F-1) student U.S. medical graduate

I second all of the comments above.

I did aways at one institution I was sure about for H-1B and one for which I was not. The place I was not sure about was a great experience so I asked the program director if they would sponsor me if I matched there, and they said yes. Now keep in mind that the website said they don't. However, I was told by the coordinator that they prefer not advertising it(bc H-1Bs are costly), but they are willing to make exceptions for people they really want.

All that to say, don't automatically eliminate places you like that don't sponsor the H-1B-find out more! I was advised by the same program director (PD) to ask PDs about visa sponsorship at the end of the interview day everywhere I go. And I did. In most cases, they said, not a problem, you pick the visa you want. I should qualify that I used Freida to filter out a lot of the places that don't sponsor the H-1B, interviewed at very few J-1 places and some "maybes."

In a few instances, the PD did not know and said they would check with their coordinator. THE PD SHOULD KNOW! If they don't, that means that they don't take enough AMGs/IMGs for the PD to know! It's a bad sign. All the places that did not have a straightforward answer for me on interview days ended up not being h-1b sponsors.

Also, make sure you get that information from the coordinator AND PROGRAM DIRECTOR. I can't emphasize this enough. I had one situation, a top choice, where the coordinator said they did, but I found out they actually did not after pressing the PD to confirm! That place used to do it, but they changed their policy in 2017 after the recent presidential election...

The J-1 and places that still have not answered me are going at the bottom of my final list.

Last edited: