international student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future pediatric ct

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello
am a prospective international student currently doing a bachelors in computer information systems. after graduating, i would like to go to medical school but my GPA is not that good(2.5).
i would like to consider doing a masters degree for two years or doing a second degree (4 years) in bio chemistry or math(because am good at math and i like it). Doing a second degree, i will have to first attend community college then later transfer. Then I'll apply to med school(will work hard to get a high GPA). Am not certain about which way am going

Members don't see this ad.

hello
am a prospective international student currently doing a bachelors in computer information systems. after graduating, i would like to go to medical school but my GPA is not that good(2.5).
i would like to consider doing a masters degree for two years or doing a second degree (4 years) in bio chemistry or math(because am good at math and i like it). Doing a second degree, i will have to first attend community college then later transfer. Then I'll apply to med school(will work hard to get a high GPA). Am not certain about which way am going
In which country are you attending college? Are you aiming to go to med school in the USA, or elsewhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to earn at least 90 credits in the USA including pre-requisites to be safe. However, being a non-US citizen or permanent resident can make things exponentially more difficult for you. Especially if during secondary applications your foreign transcripts will be requested and your 2.5 GPA will be revealed. Have you considered trying to get a green card first?

You have to earn at least 90 credits in the USA including pre-requisites to be safe. However, being a non-US citizen or permanent resident can make things exponentially more difficult for you. Especially if during secondary applications your foreign transcripts will be requested and your 2.5 GPA will be revealed. Have you considered trying to get a green card first?
thanks but getting a green card is also another hard thing

Do a second undergraduate degree in North America.
Most US medical schools want pre-requisite courses to be done in USA/Canada.

Reactions: 1 user
thanks but getting a green card is also another hard thing
You have to keep in mind, the cost to train each medical student per capita is actually more than what each students pay in tuition. Someone who is not an American citizen or permanent resident does not qualify for federal aid. This is another thing that makes matriculation more difficult for internationals aside from the lack of US credits.

i will do my second degree in fall 2018 starting form a community college
AACOMAS and AMCAS, the primary USA med school application services, don't accept foreign transcripts. Did you plan to get your second bachelor's degree in America or Canada? The latter is not considered foreign, BTW.
yah i will start in fall 2018