international student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychoclops

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just graduated from a Canadian university and I want to apply to Australian medical schools for the 2008 entry. I am wondering if someone can help me out with deciding on a school that has the best currculum for students who want to return and practice in North America? Also, what are the chances of an internatinal student like myself of beng able to practice in Australia?

I would appreciate any helpful adivce,

Members don't see this ad.

Flinders has had the longest reputation with taking American students and preparing them to return to the US. If you choose other schools, look at their research reputation, the other good programs are UNSW, U of Melbourne, U of Sydney, U of Queensland. I would not recommend UWa because Perth is ISOLATED, you won't see a single human outside after dark.

Of all grad programmes in Australia, the grad programme at Melb Uni will probably provide you with the most solid foundation in basic med science as the grad students study alongside the undergrad-entry students, and the 6-year undergrad programme places heavy emphasis on pre-clinical subjects. However, with the new "Melbourne Model" coming up soon, nobody can tell how the new medical programme will turn out to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
All of them are good, Melbourne and Sydney, have the best name recognition in the USA.

Of all grad programmes in Australia, the grad programme at Melb Uni will probably provide you with the most solid foundation in basic med science as the grad students study alongside the undergrad-entry students, and the 6-year undergrad programme places heavy emphasis on pre-clinical subjects.

This undergrad and grad set up is similar (if not the same) as UWA in Perth (not as isolated as some may think lol). While the intake process may differ, the classes you are in are the same at the end of the day.

Melb and USyd probably have the more "known" reputation... but then again im sure that may have something to do with them being the "older" schools in the more known states... at the end of the day though they are still solid programs!

Notre Dame in Perth (fremantle campus) is now doing med in the PBL scheme (with some basic science courses done at Curtin Uni) i think i read somewhere that Notre Dame originally came from OS? Or did i get that wrong and its a coincidence? :confused: Anyway they take international students and if they were "related" to uni's in North America wouldnt that be a bonus?

I have just graduated from a Canadian university and I want to apply to Australian medical schools for the 2008 entry. I am wondering if someone can help me out with deciding on a school that has the best currculum for students who want to return and practice in North America? Also, what are the chances of an internatinal student like myself of beng able to practice in Australia?

I would appreciate any helpful adivce,

Tassie is 5 years now...lots of reasons to go...if you're in Ontario I have a local Canadian number you can call me at. Just PM me (hopefully i'll check soon) :)

T
Notre Dame in Perth (fremantle campus) is now doing med in the PBL scheme (with some basic science courses done at Curtin Uni) i think i read somewhere that Notre Dame originally came from OS? Or did i get that wrong and its a coincidence? :confused: Anyway they take international students and if they were "related" to uni's in North America wouldnt that be a bonus?

The University of Notre Dame in Fremantle has "strong links" to the campus in Indiana, US. However, the US campus does not have a medical school and therefore, I am not sure how helpful the relationship is...after all, if they can't place you in their US counterpart for clinical electives (which they can't without a medical school or residency program) they are no different than any other Aussie school which has to formalize such relationships, should they choose to do so.

The University of Notre Dame in Fremantle has "strong links" to the campus in Indiana, US. However, the US campus does not have a medical school and therefore, I am not sure how helpful the relationship is...after all, if they can't place you in their US counterpart for clinical electives (which they can't without a medical school or residency program) they are no different than any other Aussie school which has to formalize such relationships, should they choose to do so.

Also Notre Dame is a fairly new school, and so like any new school there will be teething problems.

Also Notre Dame is a fairly new school, and so like any new school there will be teething problems.

Exactly - its why I put the phrase "strong links" to Notre Dame in quotes...I take it with a grain of salt. Flinders used to upsell their Harvard links when they first started...it hardly made a significant difference when it came to the education, or residency placement. Not that I applied to any Harvard programs, but you know what I mean.

I didn't mind being a bit of a guinea pig at Flinders early, but anyone contemplating a new school, especially one who isn't an Aussie national had better be prepared for some teething problems and issues trying to tackle those without being called a whinging American/Canadian.:laugh: