International Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Residencei

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Can anyone please suggest me some programs that support the international students? I am an international student and have contacted many programs and havent heard back from them, i guesss they dont know what international students are. But if anyone knows the programs who are willing to do H1 visa for residents please let me know.. I will really appreciate it. I am looking for residency in Texas, Illinois, Indianapolis, Missoury.. . Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Guys,
Can anyone please suggest me some programs that support the international students? I am an international student and have contacted many programs and havent heard back from them, i guesss they dont know what international students are. But if anyone knows the programs who are willing to do H1 visa for residents please let me know.. I will really appreciate it. I am looking for residency in Texas, Illinois, Indianapolis, Missoury.. . Thanks in advance!

Who have you contacted at these programs? Anytime that I have contacted a reidency program director they have gotten back with me in a couple of days or so. I'm sure they know what an international student is but you are going to have to give them specific details about your situation to see if you are eligible to apply for their residency program. I think many programs (I don't know but maybe all?) require that you graduate from an ACPE accredited school of pharmacy.

Who have you contacted at these programs? Anytime that I have contacted a reidency program director they have gotten back with me in a couple of days or so. I'm sure they know what an international student is but you are going to have to give them specific details about your situation to see if you are eligible to apply for their residency program. I think many programs (I don't know but maybe all?) require that you graduate from an ACPE accredited school of pharmacy.

True...because most states require you graduate from an ACPE college or already have passed the FPGEE for licensure. Starting the process for FPGEE takes a very long time (1-2 yrs at least)...

Members don't see this ad :)
True...because most states require you graduate from an ACPE college or already have passed the FPGEE for licensure. Starting the process for FPGEE takes a very long time (1-2 yrs at least)...

I am a last year pharmacy student in texas ( graduating from ACPE accredated school), i am about to graduate in may, so i will be graduating in may. thanks for the info. But if anyone in here was/is in the same situation and know the programs that accept the international student, please lemme know. I did get feedbacks from some programs but most of them are NO! :( i found 2 programs but i think i need to apply more residency programs as its very compatitive here in texas!
Again thnks for very fast replies~! :)

That long?? :scared: but then after FPGEE there's 1500 hrs of internship, and then NAPLEX. wow...so takes 4 years total?:eek:

Getting the FPGEC does not take you longer than 6 months if you are well prepared in terms of English speaking and submission of proper documentation to the NABP. If your documents do not comply exactly with their requirements, your acceptance into the FPGEC program will be delayed much. If you are struggling with your TOEFL-iBT speaking that a whole different story!!

If you're graduating from an ACPE accredited univ, then why would there be a problem finding a residency?

If you're graduating from an ACPE accredited univ, then why would there be a problem finding a residency?

Because we have to have a visa. I've heard that we can use J1 visa. I don't know if it needs sponsorship, but I think it's easier than H1 visa.

I am a last year pharmacy student in texas ( graduating from ACPE accredated school), i am about to graduate in may, so i will be graduating in may. thanks for the info. But if anyone in here was/is in the same situation and know the programs that accept the international student, please lemme know. I did get feedbacks from some programs but most of them are NO! :( i found 2 programs but i think i need to apply more residency programs as its very compatitive here in texas!

Hi residencei, do you mind sharing your information? I'm also looking for the programs sponsoring H1 visa, too, if I find one. but I think it's really very tough. thx

Hi residencei, do you mind sharing your information? I'm also looking for the programs sponsoring H1 visa, too, if I find one. but I think it's really very tough. thx

Hey check ur inbox, i replied u...

Hi Residencei,
I am also an international, third year pharmacy student in Houston, TX and I really want to do a residency post graduate. I attended the residency showcase here in Houston but lots of programs do not accept international students, some say "maybe but very not sure"...and say it depends on human resources department of the hospital if they want to sponsor or not...it must be very hard to compete with regular students here to get in one of these.

If you don't mind, could share your information about the H1 sponsoring programs with me too? I've been looking around for information but have not get any...Thanks so much !

I feel VISA is a issue for an international student, I know a friend who is an international student completed FPGEC Process and is done with his Intern hours.
He is taking Boards in a month or two, He is in Retail and loves to be in Clinical.... but as he had hard time searching for hospitals which offer H1B or J1...he had to join retail in order to get VISA issue solved...
If any of you know anywhere in California..or US a residency program that sponsors H1B..Please let me know...
I am happy with retail but he is dying to change irrespective of location...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys,

Hello Residencei ,

Last edited:
Hello Residencei ,

I'm an international Pharm. D student and going to graduate in Nov, 2010.
If it is possible, could you please share the h1b information with me?? I'm very worried about the issue for finding a job with h1b sponsorship. Even though the retail pharmacy, they replied me back that they don't provide sponsorship this year for international students. If you know anywhere, any company provide the sponsorship, could you let me know? It doesn't have to be a residency program. I can go anywhere for getting a job. Thank you very much.. My email: [email protected]

y\Y'ALL NEED TO GO BACK HOE AND HELP YOUR PEOPLE. nO NEED FOR RESIDENCIES TO EXTEND YOUR STAY HERE. OR JUST GET A WIFE AND LIVE HERE LOL

hey guys ... what's up ?
am a pharm.d student at J.U.S.T in Jordan (middle east ) i'll graduate the next year if things go well. I'd like to go for a residency program in any hospital there in USA but i dont know the reqiurements also i dont know whar are the programs that i can join,i know there is many but whar are they ? :confused: and for how long its gonna be for each ?!
if there is a website or if you can tell me the process from A to Z i'll be grateful.
i'd like to prepare my self well till next year so that i'll be ready to save some time .. cuz i think its gonna take long

looking forward to read from you guys ...

thx again and have nice days watching the world cup ;);)

hey guys ... what's up ?
am a pharm.d student at J.U.S.T in Jordan (middle east ) i'll graduate the next year if things go well. I'd like to go for a residency program in any hospital there in USA but i dont know the reqiurements also i dont know whar are the programs that i can join,i know there is many but whar are they ? :confused: and for how long its gonna be for each ?!
if there is a website or if you can tell me the process from A to Z i'll be grateful.
i'd like to prepare my self well till next year so that i'll be ready to save some time .. cuz i think its gonna take long

You will have a very difficult time to get a residency in the US.

1) First, you need to pass 3 tests in the US in order for you to get a license. Not only that, you need 1500 internship hours before you are allowed to be licensed. There is no company in these days would sponsor you to get intership hours.

2) Let's assume that you have passed all of the requirements and now a practice pharmacist in the US. Getting a residency is another topic. It is almost imposible to get a position in the US because it is very competitive.

Conclusion, I would not recommend you to go in this route. It is extremely risky and wasting of time and money.

Also believe Jordan on list of nationals subject to very close examination by immigration.
Frankly with growing surplus of US nationals looking for residency, why should a hospital bother with internationals?
johnep

Hey Residencei,

I am an international student and i am in the same situation that you were back in November 2009. I am a P4 at a pharmacy school in the USA and was looking for residency programs that sponsors international students. If I read it correctly, you said that you found 2 programs. Can you please provide me their information ? Also if you have more programs that you know about, can you tell me which one they are ? I am looking for residency programs and tried to go on the ASHP website and it does not tell me much about the sponsoring stuffs. Thanks.

Hey Guys,

Hey Residencei,

I am an international student and i am in the same situation that you were back in November 2009. I am a P4 at a pharmacy school in the USA and was looking for residency programs that sponsors international students. If I read it correctly, you said that you found 2 programs. Can you please provide me their information ? Also if you have more programs that you know about, can you tell me which one they are ? I am looking for residency programs and tried to go on the ASHP website and it does not tell me much about the sponsoring stuffs. Thanks.

hey guys ... what's up ?

I just knew that 2 universities in Jordan are offering Pharm.D program,, this is great!

why are you leaving Jordan to look for residency in the U.S? I just read an article saying that pharmacy future in Jordan looks bright, and especially that you will be graduating with a pharm.D.

Virtually the whole eastern and third world dreams of a better life in the west, particularly the US and UK. Bet if a survey done would find 5 billion people would love to come. Far easier than a civil war or revolution back home, which was the old way.
All forecast by H G Wells.
johnep

Hello
i have applied for pharm d program for 2011. Currently i am on f-1 visa (community college) and i have social security number, i am planning to graduate with associate of science in december 2010.
(most of the pre-pharm courses and pcat done)

i have applied to pharm d programs as f-1 (international student) visa but planning to convert it to h-4 visa after i get in the pharm d program some time in 2011.

I would appriciate if you guys can help me clarify some of the questions listed below:

1) do i have to have a work permit while i am in the pharm d program to do rotations or some kind of practical training which are part of pharmd curriculum.

2) now that i have ssn will i be able to register as intern pharmacist when i complete first year of pharmd on h4 visa.

3) pharmd rotations are volunteer work or do the pay pharmd students.

4) a pharmd student on h4 visa (with ssn) can satisfy all rotation / practical training requirements without any immigration hickups.

I would appriciate if you guys can help me clarify some of the questions listed below:

1) do i have to have a work permit while i am in the pharm d program to do rotations or some kind of practical training which are part of pharmd curriculum.

2) now that i have ssn will i be able to register as intern pharmacist when i complete first year of pharmd on h4 visa.

3) pharmd rotations are volunteer work or do the pay pharmd students.

4) a pharmd student on h4 visa (with ssn) can satisfy all rotation / practical training requirements without any immigration hickups.

1. Since rotations are part of the curriculum, my guess is no, you don't need a work permit. BUT you probably will want to work while you're in school.

2. That depends on where you live. Every state has different laws regarding interns, so talk with the advisers at your school.

3. You pay tuition to go on rotations.

4. Again, this depends on where you live and which rotations you want to do. Talk to advisers at your school.

I hold a FPGEC and stuck at the options in front of me.I have just seen the Residency Program and registered just hours back and now started searching for the procedure.
If you please guide me for the Residency Program I would be very greatful.
And I being an International Pharmacy Graduate need a H1 visa too.
I appreciate your help

I am describing my personal experience here as a foreign pharmacy graduate in the US. The route to an advanced practice career in the US starting with residency training is more challenging and labor-intensive than you would imagine. The necessary tools include very good English language, excellent communication skills and understanding of how things work in the US, PERSEVERANCE, organization and attention to the too many subtle details in the process, and readiness to expend lots of money and effort even if it does not pay off soon.

If you are a foreign graduate from a non -ACPE-accredited school, then getting FPGEC certification is mandatory. This process takes at least a year. Most states require 1500 hours of internship prior to full licensure, except WA state where the required hours depend on the FPGEE exam score. The least you can do is 300 hours if you get a score above 120, which is almost formidable. The earliest you can apply for residency is when you get very close to full license, because most programs require that you are fully licensed within 90 days or less from the start of the program. I would imagine that you would need to have an SSN to get an intern license and that these hours should be typically gained in a hospital setting if you are interested in a residency.

Now if you do all this or if you are a graduate of an ACPE-accredited school, you must find a residency program that is willing to sponsor (i.e. provide the necessary paperwork) your visa. Most of the time, you will have to pay for the visa yourself, which is about 6,000 USD if it's H1B or about 700 USD if it's J1 visa, which works equally fine for residency training. Now, the programs that sponsor these visa are usually the very large, reputable programs, which you would imagine them to be very competitive. By large I mean offering more than 6 residency positions. Most programs with only 2 or 3 positions would not be interested in hiring an international resident.

I contacted well more than 100 programs, only six programs were able to sponsor a visa, again with you usually being the fees. I cannot speak for these programs but you would have to check with them before you apply, next year. Please, PM me if you want to know what those programs are. I am not sure if it's appropriate to list them in here.

Maybe there are so many others in other states that I do not know about.

The deadlines for application this year have passed so maybe things will change next year, I do not know.

One more thing, please, all remember, we are pharmacists whatever our nationalities and levels of training are. Most of the time, there are things we cannot control like where we were born, where we got educated, etc. Maybe it's not just "getting a better life" is the motivation behind an international pharmacist's interest in getting residency training, maybe they have sincere interest in advancing the profession. I guess what I am saying is that we all should be aiming first and foremost for advancing our profession, whatever our other goals are, wherever we come from, and whatever pathway we take.

Good luck for all residency seekers.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi PharmNerd08!

Thanks a ton for the detail response.It's overwhelming to see such an informative and inspiring reply though a little late.I thought that my post would never ever be replied.

May God bestow all happiness to you in all walks of life.
Thanks a million and I will PM you for the names of the Programs.

Hi PharmNerd08

Thanks for your info! I have noticed that for hospitals affiliated with universities they are exempt from the cap and also the training fees for the h1b application. Should that help with the sponsorship? I'll definitely pm you also.

Hello all & PharmNerd08

It's great that I found this forum and this post! I am a grad student working on my PhD in Pharmacology. I am expecting to graduate within 1 year, I think it is a good time for me to think about the next step.

I got my FPGEC last year but didn't have time for internship hours since I am in grad school. I am very interested in the residency program, however, it looks like most hospitals look for PharmD graduates? But as PharmNerd08 pointed out there are possibilities for foreign pharmacy graduates to apply for residency program as well. If I may ask, what are the hospitals since it doesn't seem like every hospital would accept foreign pharmacy graduates.
Another limitation, or time constraint is for my internship hours. I guess I will have to find some time to work on that before applying for any residency programs. It's great to know that internship in WA takes a little shorter, too bad I didn't get a high enough score in my FPGEE to cut down my internship hours...

I am actually looking for some alternatives as well; well, for me, since I am going to get my research doctorate degree, so I think another alternative is to apply for clinical pharmacology training program, it's a post-doctoral level program, and I believe PharmD graduates can apply, too. Does anyone know about this program, how different is this from the residency program?

Well, I am just excited to know there might be chance for foreign pharmacy graduates to apply for residency program :luck: and good luck to all residency seekers!

Hi Everyone..Can I do a residency on OPT?? After graduating (PharmD) I will get 12 months of OPT. So I was planning on utilizing this time to get a residency and then hopefully get H1 visa after residency...Does anyone know of anyone who has done something like this!!

Thanks for your help...

I see what you are talking about. there are very few residency programs sponsor H1B visa. However, I am going to use OPT for my first year and then think about PGY2 later.

J1 visa is a pain. Ask for H1B if you can. There's no reason they sponsor J1 but not H1B since you are already in this country.

Because we have to have a visa. I've heard that we can use J1 visa. I don't know if it needs sponsorship, but I think it's easier than H1 visa.

Hey PharmNerd08,
I tried sending you a private message but they re telling me that ur messages are full and u should clean up some inorder to recieve new private msgs.. anw here's my case:

Im an international pharmacist as well seeking my residency in the states. Ive been sending endless mails to residency program directors whether they sponsor H1B OR J1 visas and all what i am receiving is a No. Ive been searching on google and found out this forum and read your reply that says : " only six programs were able to sponsor a visa, again with you usually being the fees." I don't mind paying the extra fees, but can you send me the names of the hospitals and in what states. I appreciate you helping me :)

Thank you in advance!

Hey PharmNerd08,
can you please send me a pm with the names of the 6 hospitals that you were talking about earlier. i tried sending u a pm but your box is full. Thank you:)

Hey PharmNerd08,

My case is similar can you please send me a pm with the names of the 6 hospitals that you were talking about earlier.Thank you:)

If anyone knows programs who sponsor H1 visas for international students who graduated from accredited schools. Thank you again !

Hi PharmNerd08! I'm also an international student very interested in doing a residency program, however I know most of these programs don't sponsor H1b...can you please let me know what programs sponsor?

Thanks for your help!

Does any anyone have any info on residency programs that sponsor H1b? I've contacted some programs, and most of them were a no to a non-US citizen, and the others don't even bother to reply. Its depressing....Oh anyone done/heard of doing residency on just 1 yr OPT?

Hi PharmNerd08,

Thank you for the information.
I am an international student and interested in applying for residency.
You mentioned that 6 programs offer H1B, would it be possible for you to share that information via PM?
I tried to send a PM to you, but your inbox is full.
I greatly appreciate your guidance.

Thanks!!

Hello,
If you are in Texas and are willing to relocate. I know of an International Student who applied for an matched at Tyler, Texas - I believe the residency is called "Mother Francis Hospital" they are on ASHP website. She completed that residency and is now praciticing in Atlanta, GA. Her now, husband filed that residency card for her though...Good luck!

hey there, what are the two programs that said a yes ? thank you :)

Hello!

I am a third year international student, I am at the point where I am starting to think about career options and I was wondering if you would be willing to help me with the list of places you found that sponsor international students for the H1B, that is residency places. Also, who did you contact in these organizations to have these discussions with them, we will start rotations soon, and I have no idea who to contact. I spoke with one organization and they basically said HR takes care of that and that they only do that for their pharmacists not residents, if I do not have to use OPT I would be very grateful.

How is your progress so far?

I tried emailing you but your box is full. I hope you reply

Hello,

I am also an international student who is very confused. DO you mind sending me a pm sharing some of your information?

Hello!

I am a third year international student, I am at the point where I am starting to think about career options and I was wondering if you would be willing to help me with the list of places you found that sponsor international students for the H1B, that is residency places. Also, who did you contact in these organizations to have these discussions with them, we will start rotations soon, and I have no idea who to contact. I spoke with one organization and they basically said HR takes care of that and that they only do that for their pharmacists not residents, if I do not have to use OPT I would be very grateful.

How is your progress so far?

I tried emailing you but your box is full. I hope you reply

This is my question too. I'd appreciate a lot if you can send me a list of places that will sponsor for green card/ H1B work visa.

can anyone tell me sites they have found to be sponsoring?? Thank you.

I am a pharmd student and I will graduate in June of this year from Jordan. Is it really that difficult to get into a residency program for an internation student? I am an american citizen so getting I don't need a visa, and passing the TOEFL isnt that difficult for me. How long does it take to complete all the requirements I need for getting in, and are the exams difficult to pass?? I would prefer a residency spot in California because that's where my family lives, are there any programs in California that support international students?

I will also graduate from an accredited school and would like to know which programs sponsor H1-B visa for international student...i would really appreciate any info....thx:)

I'd assume that the visa pipe has dried up, but I saw a statistic somewhere that a several thousand visas are still granted. Does anyone know about this and what organizations are still sponsoring given the plethora of pharmacists not requiring a visa fee for work?

I'd assume that the visa pipe has dried up, but I saw a statistic somewhere that a several thousand visas are still granted. Does anyone know about this and what organizations are still sponsoring given the plethora of pharmacists not requiring a visa fee for work?

I dunno if they are granting visas or not, but I'd say it would be worth at least checking out the indian health service. They still have a lot of vacancies in towns that I had never heard .

I dunno if they are granting visas or not, but I'd say it would be worth at least checking out the indian health service. They still have a lot of vacancies in towns that I had never heard .

IHS and VA jobs generally require US citizenship.