International Student's Chances at DO programs and MD programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hello29

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I'm very worried about getting into medical school. I am international student but I've been here since 4th grade. I'm added a year to my undergrad so I'm going to graduate as a 5th-year senior. I've done all of my undergrad in US and I am majoring in microbiology and psych. I have a 3.97 GPA and my biggest worry is my MCAT score. I haven't taken it yet but I'm thinking the highest I'll get is probably a 510. I have ~2 years of research in a bio lab, I have a non-first author published paper. I have about ~200 hours of volunteering. I am going to gain more research experience in psych labs and possibly a microbio lab. I have shadowed different doctors at clinics. What do you think my chances of acceptance are?

Members don't see this ad.

Heyo my fellow International! Based on the short synopsis you provided, it sounds like you’re on a good track. At this point, assuming that you graduate with all prereqs complete, then the MCAT is likely your biggest remaining focus before applying. It’s hard to predict anyone’s chances without a score (or even with it TBH), and especially for international students.

The key is to give MCAT prep its due diligence and only take it when you feel most ready. You only want to take it once and, without preaching unrealistic expectations, try not to put a limit in your mind/thoughts on how high you can score. Although the worry/doubt is natural, prep diligently and aim for the stars. When you get your score, come back and ask about your chances again, if you want.

Lastly, if you are close to acquiring US citizenship or have the reasonable potential to pursue it before applying, do that! I can almost say with certainty that that will increase your chances of acceptance vs. applying as an international student. Best of luck!

Heyo my fellow International! Based on the short synopsis you provided, it sounds like you’re on a good track. At this point, assuming that you graduate with all prereqs complete, then the MCAT is likely your biggest remaining focus before applying. It’s hard to predict anyone’s chances without a score (or even with it TBH), and especially for international students.

The key is to give MCAT prep its due diligence and only take it when you feel most ready. You only want to take it once and, without preaching unrealistic expectations, try not to put a limit in your mind/thoughts on how high you can score. Although the worry/doubt is natural, prep diligently and aim for the stars. When you get your score, come back and ask about your chances again, if you want.

Lastly, if you are close to acquiring US citizenship or have the reasonable potential to pursue it before applying, do that! I can almost say with certainty that that will increase your chances of acceptance vs. applying as an international student. Best of luck!
Thank you so much for your input! I'll try to aim higher :)