International students for MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sanjanareddy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a student with Masters in Bio-engineering in US. After my Masters, I decided to apply to MD schools and only thought Caribbean schools to be my option. Apart from that I wanted to know if any US schools accept international students. I am currently working on the science pre-requisites and MCAT.
My undergrad GPA-3.85
Masters-3.44
MCAT-not yet taken
have voluntary experiences and LOR's.
I have been seriously searching on the Internet to find options to apply to US MD or DO schools. Can anyone help me out with this? I need some sort of information badly.
Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I am a student with Masters in Bio-engineering in US. After my Masters, I decided to apply to MD schools and only thought Caribbean schools to be my option. Apart from that I wanted to know if any US schools accept international students. I am currently working on the science pre-requisites and MCAT.
My undergrad GPA-3.85
Masters-3.44
MCAT-not yet taken
have voluntary experiences and LOR's.
I have been seriously searching on the Internet to find options to apply to US MD or DO schools. Can anyone help me out with this? I need some sort of information badly.
Thanks in advance

To put things in context, it is important to remember that American medical schools serve the purpose of educating American physicians for the American people. As you can imagine, as difficult as it is for American students to get into medical school, frankly, it's near to impossible for non-citizens/PR's to get-in. I went to a top 15 LAC, and I know of three international students from my college who got into US allopathic schools. One of the three literally scored a 40 on the MCAT, and one of them only got-in to one school at the last minute. It is also important to remember that not all schools accept international students; you'll want to look in the MSAR for the list of schools that accept students, and more importantly, the MSAR will list the acceptance rates at these schools for international applicants. Also, unlike undergrad, most medical schools do not offer financial aid to international students, and many schools require international students to pay all four years up-front.

The issue with the Caribbean is another can of worms: US medical schools are increasing enrollment, however the number of residency spots are not increasing. The significance of this is that traditionally, many residency spots were not filled by graduates of US medical schools, so foreign trained physicians (this includes American and non-American citizens) were able to land residencies in the US. But without an increase in residency spots, it is going to be more and more difficult for non-US trained physicians to land residencies. This, of course, is in addition to all the baggage that comes with going to a Caribbean school, i.e. high attrition, issues of licensing, having to live on an island for 2 years, etc.

In regards to DO, most international students I have met have been hesitant to go osteopathic over issues of being able to practice in their home countries--should they choose to go back home--but you'll find that most countries allow American trained osteopaths to practice medicine and receive licenses

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It is also important to remember that not all schools accept international students; you'll want to look in the MSAR for the list of schools that accept students, and more importantly, the MSAR will list the acceptance rates at these schools for international applicants. Also, unlike undergrad, most medical schools do not offer financial aid to international students, and some schools require international students to pay all four years up-front.

The issue with the Caribbean is another can of worms: US medical schools are increasing enrollment, however the number of residency spots are not increasing. The significance of this is that traditionally, many residency spots were not filled by graduates of US medical schools, so foreign trained physicians (this includes American and non-American citizens) were able to land residencies in the US. But without an increase in residency spots, it is going to be more and more difficult for non-US trained physicians to land residencies. This, of course, is in addition to all the baggage that comes with going to a Caribbean school, i.e. high attrition, issues of licensing, having to live on an island for 2 years, etc.

In regards to DO, most international students I have met have been hesitant to go osteopathic over issues of being able to practice in their home countries--should they choose to go back home--but you'll find that most countries allow American trained osteopaths to practice medicine and receive licenses

Good post.

To put things in context, it is important to remember that American medical schools serve the purpose of educating American physicians for the American people. As you can imagine, as difficult as it is for American students to get into medical school, frankly, it's near to impossible for non-citizens/PR's to get-in.

Permanent residents are treated like citizens during admission process.

Last edited:
You are welcome! Other than that, it is a great post :thumbup:

I've posted this before but I think it might cheer anyone under your situation:

I am international student (Mexico) in an outstanding US medical school (VT). My stats were a 3.7 overall GPA and a 28 (9P 9V 10B) MCAT.

It is very important for you to turn your so-called weakness into your strength. Talk about the diversity you bring to the table and how statistical improbability has not put a dent on your commitment. I also made it a point to express admiration during interviews of the medical school's willingness to go the extra mile by incorporating internationals despite the headaches associated.

Of course, I had a ton of ECs working in rural areas of Mexico, hospitals, schools, societies, research, etc. Your international application stands out by default, step it up from there and you have a serious chance.

hey bombas238, i have a question for you
I am also an international student and shadowed a medical school in my home country where i got to view a lot of pathologies and stuff. How did you handle the financial situation if i might ask? did ur med school give financial aid to internationals as this seems to be my greatest problem that i anticipate

That story is far gloomier. My family is paying for it, but it has not been easy at all. We've sold cars, land, etc -- Father calls it "relocating our investments". I do, however, have an uncle who is a US citizen and will be willing to co-sign on a private loan IF it comes down to that.

I believe the money will always come one way or another. The medical school has also been real nice about letting me know I can take all the time I need to gather more funds as needed.

I've posted this before but I think it might cheer anyone under your situation:

I am international student (Mexico) in an outstanding US medical school (VT). My stats were a 3.7 overall GPA and a 28 (9P 9V 10B) MCAT.

It is very important for you to turn your so-called weakness into your strength. Talk about the diversity you bring to the table and how statistical improbability has not put a dent on your commitment. I also made it a point to express admiration during interviews of the medical school’s willingness to go the extra mile by incorporating internationals despite the headaches associated.

Of course, I had a ton of ECs working in rural areas of Mexico, hospitals, schools, societies, research, etc. Your international application stands out by default, step it up from there and you have a serious chance.

My 2cents since i'm an international student too studying here. Expressing your diversity is KEY! I got into like 6 schools with stats barely above bombass's...
Your post is spot-on. You need some really excellent EC's, MCAT and grades to get in cos its gonna be twice the work.

That story is far gloomier. My family is paying for it, but it has not been easy at all. We've sold cars, land, etc -- Father calls it "relocating our investments". I do, however, have an uncle who is a US citizen and will be willing to co-sign on a private loan IF it comes down to that.

I believe the money will always come one way or another. The medical school has also been real nice about letting me know I can take all the time I need to gather more funds as needed.

Yea, the financial situation is tough. My parents supported me thru.out undergrad, but med school is so dammmm expensive and i'm doing it via loans/family support. Its rare, but you can find some schools that give out scholarships (partial/full) to international students. VERY rare (trust me), but they exist.

Also look for financing at your home country...this was not possible in my case cos of some peculiar reasons, but you never know!

The road is tough, but people have done/and are doing it now.

hey guys,
I'm an international student as well, ive had a bad semmester in university but i'm doing my undergrad in the U.S and will work so hard to raise my gpa up to at least a 3.5.......... I will also take a post bacc or masters.
I didnt take the mcat yet...but hopefully i will do well. I have volunteer experiances, going to shadow a doctor soon and i'm planning on going abroad this summer to help out at an orphanage.

Please tell me what schools accept international students that are not complete geniuses..
i'm in the process of getting a green card maybe by the time i apply then citizinship ,my whole family is here and we are planning on staying in teh U.S for a very long time.
Please help me out and tell me if anyone here knows or have been in the same situation. what med schools give international students a chance?
thank you!

To put things in context, it is important to remember that American medical schools serve the purpose of educating American physicians for the American people. As you can imagine, as difficult as it is for American students to get into medical school, frankly, it's near to impossible for non-citizens/PR's to get-in. I went to a top 15 LAC, and I know of three international students from my college who got into US allopathic schools. One of the three literally scored a 40 on the MCAT, and one of them only got-in to one school at the last minute. It is also important to remember that not all schools accept international students; you'll want to look in the MSAR for the list of schools that accept students, and more importantly, the MSAR will list the acceptance rates at these schools for international applicants. Also, unlike undergrad, most medical schools do not offer financial aid to international students, and many schools require international students to pay all four years up-front.

:thumbup::thumbup: great post. OP, your best bet is the Caribbean