International Students Have To Get Higher Grades!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kema

Eureka!!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Erased

Members don't see this ad.

I Just Heard That Us International Students Applying For Dental School Must Get Much Higher Grades Than Every Other Applicant Thats Not International. What Is Up With That? Anybody Heard That Before? Please I Need To Know What Is Up With This!

I don't know if its true or not, but I don't see anything wrong with that.
International students are just here to get an education, most of them ( I believe) will leave the country once they finished with the education.
Therefore, they do not really contribute anything to this country.

I Just Heard That Us International Students Applying For Dental School Must Get Much Higher Grades Than Every Other Applicant Thats Not International. What Is Up With That? Anybody Heard That Before? Please I Need To Know What Is Up With This!

Why is the first letter of every word capitalized?
just curious lol

Members don't see this ad :)

It's true for the most part, especially among public schools.

However, large private schools like USC or NYU usually don't care about applicants' national origin.

I think admissions committees will have a harder time in evaluating people who were brought up under a different educational system. To make sure that the individual is good he/she has to get better grades.

Supply and demand baby. We wouldn't want our dental schools overrun with international students, so only the best are accepted. Sorry man. You might have to apply to one of your own country's dental schools!

International students don't pay taxes (As in, have never paid U.S. taxes). So yes, it is fair.

Apparently some of you have a problem with international students for some reason. Well I am proud to be international. We internationals perform much better in academics in all schools from Middle to Professional. You all need to appreciate the fact that internationals come here to help advance your country for you. I merely posted a simple question hoping to hear from internationals who may have heard the same thing. If you have something bad to say please restrict your comments to someone who cares. Thanks to all that were kind enough to give a good response. I excel at everything, I graduated high school at age 15 so if you want to be mad be mad at that, igonorance is bliss.

How do internationals advance our country? By using it for its good educational system?
Graduating high school at 15 isn't something special by the way.

Apparently some of you have a problem with international students for some reason. Well I am proud to be international. We internationals perform much better in academics in all schools from Middle to Professional. You all need to appreciate the fact that internationals come here to help advance your country for you. I merely posted a simple question hoping to hear from internationals who may have heard the same thing. If you have something bad to say please restrict your comments to someone who cares. Thanks to all that were kind enough to give a good response. I excel at everything, I graduated high school at age 15 so if you want to be mad be mad at that, igonorance is bliss.

Apparently humility is something you don't excel at...

American dental schools favor American students??? WOW, what a surprise. If foreign students are so much better than us, as you say, then why are you coming to America for an education. Also, if you have such stellar grades, why would the higher GPA requirement be an issue for you? I have no problem with international students, but if you are going to start throwing comments like that around you deserve to get the incoming flaming.

Most public schools don't take much international students. As for why, maybe you should ask them.
What do you mean by internationals perform much better in all schools? Who are you to say that?
Internationals come here to advance our country. In some way, yes. But don't act like our country does nothing for international students.
As for graduated in HS in age of 15, maybe YOU should comment to someone who cares. People are here to give comments on what they think, you don't have be defensive just because they said something you don't want to hear.

Members don't see this ad :)
God Bless America... last I heard there are dental schools internationally, why don't you go there? I know why, cause America is # 1.

to the OP, what country are you from?

I'm Canadian, and am applying to US schools this cycle...and frankly it wouldn't really bother me if internat's are required to get higher grades.

When I cross the border, I'm not pissed if I get grilled by the border agent; it's his country I wanna enter so he can make the rules. I feel the same about dental schools - they can set the tuition and minimum stats at wherever they want, im just glad that I get the privilege to actually apply to them. They can set the bar wherever they want...

I'd be gracious to get a spot in a US school, since I didn't even get an interview at the 5 Canadian schools I applied to last cycle.

First, you asked the question, and you got the honest answers. I don't know what you're getting mad about. Those are all plausible reasons for why international students are required to have higher grades. No need to get on your high horse.

Secondly, it's true that many other countries outperform the US in high school (and that's purely political, not because Americans are inherently dumb, but I won't get into that here), but the fact remains that America's university system and higher-level education is some of the best in the world. If you're as great as you say you are, you should have no problem meeting the higher GPA requirements.

As an international student myself - I would just like to offer you a few advices, if you don't mind.

It is true that the bar is set higher for international students, but I believe that such is done with good reasons. As other posters have mentioned, it is NOT our country, so in actuality we really don't have much right in whine about it.

However, although more difficult, it is still possible for international students to get accepted to U.S. dental schools. In fact, it's quite doable, in my opinion at least.

All you gotta do is just work your butt off and stand out from the rest. That way, even public schools will still find hard to turn you down.

Good luck!

GOOD Educational system. OK first of all anybody who has ever travelled which I am certain you have never judging by how ignorant you sound, would know that the british system is way more advanced that you mediocre american educational system. Wow hahahahaha, the things you do in college we have already done in high school for crying out loud. You dimwit, since graduating at 15 is not an accomplishment how old were you when you matriculated????? hahahahahha Please anyone who has used the Cambridge/British system of learning please explain to this uncultured, uninformed ignorant fool why the system is much better hahahahha. We only come to America for opportunity to make more money since its economy is strong you idiot. Know your facts before you speak nonsense from your ethnocentric garbage mindest. wow, the nerve of this idiot!! It's people like you that embody why America is in the shambles that its in today and people can not have a fair shot. *****

I feel sorry for you. You obviously have some anger and inferiority issues.

we pay the taxes that fund state schools. as for private schools, i don't mind them choosing international students because they have their own means of funding. but the point i think for most of these posters is that they understand international students are highly capable, but it is not fair for them to come in, take a seat for four years then leave the country (which is what most international students do). Especially when there are students from here who will contribute back to their individual societies. I know what I am talking about because I attend one of the most diverse universities in the nation with a large international student body. Most of my TAs for my sciences have been international graduate students, many of whom have gone back to their countries of origin once completing their doctorates. if you get a seat, why not just stay in America, it is one of the greatest countries in the world. take a trip to las vegas and I know you will say "GOD BLESS AMERICA." :cool:

Again, I know international students are very intelligent, but I also have to agree with some of the other postings in their ideology that if you believe your country of origin has a better education system, then why come to America? Why not stay, it would only be better for you, am I not correct? The real reality is that American dental schools have no shortage of students, so its more like, they don't need us, we need them. For that fact, they can choose who they accept as they wish. I hope I did not offend anyone, just letting you know what I think.

Sounds like someone is a tad bitter about their application being rejected or waitlisted. The Cambridge/British system of learning must have let you down since you apparently did not perform well enough on the DAT. Perhaps you can try an American prep course such as Kaplan to prepare this time. Maybe they will get you up to speed on what you are lacking from your prior learning.
And the American educational system is fine. Our average grades may not be as high as other countries, but the dirty little secret is that these countries set up seperatly counted educational pathways for their underperforming students, much the same way as vocational schools. American public schools however are required to accept everyone. Regardless, tell us of another country with a better, more fair, system of higher education respective to foreigners, than the US. Which country is accepting mostly foreigners into its schools designed for the general populace? Like a typical American basher, you probably have one standard for us and another for the rest of the world. But if that's the price of being the best, we can live with it.

God Bless America... last I heard there are dental schools internationally, why don't you go there? I know why, cause America is # 1.

hehe...typical american. i will hold any further comments. (i'm canadian btw, and both canada and u.s. are cool for me. haha)

hehe...typical american. i will hold any further comments. (i'm canadian btw, and both canada and u.s. are cool for me. haha)

haha yep, i hear ya.

You dimwit, since graduating at 15 is not an accomplishment how old were you when you matriculated????? hahahahahha Please anyone who has used the Cambridge/British system of learning please explain to this uncultured, uninformed ignorant fool why the system is much better hahahahha.

I am from Nigeria and Jamaica, I know what you mean. I am certainly appreciative of being here because the opportunities are vast but I do not appreciate people attacking me for a simple question I asked.

Ah yes, the world renowned learning institutions of Nigeria and Jamaica...

It's people like you that embody why America is in the shambles that its in today and people can not have a fair shot. *****

We only come to America for opportunity to make more money since its economy is strong you idiot.

In shambles and with a strong economy. Apparently they don't teach how to avoid obviously contradicting yourself at Nigeria U.

Consider backing off the sense of entitlement a bit. American public schools have a responsibility to the American public first, and American private schools set whatever admissions standards they wish. Grades alone entitle you to nothing.

Thanks alot, you have been the most understanding and useful voice of reason thus far. I will resign any further comments I have. Thanks for all the critique from those who meant no harm. I apologize for the ignorance that spued from some. But I willl make this my final statement. Thanks again. I guarantee you all I will gain acceptance to dental school I am not the least bit worried lol:). Just wanted to ask a question that came up thats it. Peace to all well wishers. Good luck to all!!

Ah the sweet smell of elitism. :laugh:

*grabs popcorn*

there will be some major showdowns going on.

@op i am going to comment a bit on your original post. international students must get higher grades than every other applicant? i am not sure if this is even possible. what if an "other" applicant has a 4.0 and 25s, then all international students must get higher than a 4.0 and 25s?

I want to announce how extremely saddened and upset I am for stirring up such wrath and discontent amongs a group of the world's youngest and brightest professionals. I was merely trying to extract some responses on an issue that I did not take enough time to understand. America is a great country, it offers a myriad of opportunites and is very welcoming to people from all walks of life. I appreciate all that America and its people have done for me. I am deeply upset by the tone that this discourse has taken and I wish to whole heartedly apologize to all that have read or are currently reading this thread. We need to embrace and encourage diversity because afterall that is the making of God, we need to realize that the faith of this world is inextricably tied in our abilities to work in cohesion to the fulfilment of one goal. So again, I apologize, good luck to all the young aspiring professionals, power to you all because you will make a difference in this world of chaos. Peace to all.

Kema

Worst thread I've read in a while :-{

First of all, the trash talking really needs to stop. We can all have intelligent debates without the name calling.

Yes, it's true that international students are held to a higher standard than most other applicants. For the very same reason that most public schools accept only instate students, most dental schools accept mostly non-foreign students. In state applicants pay taxes and they're more likely to stay in state after graduating.

GOOD Educational system. OK first of all anybody who has ever travelled which I am certain you have never judging by how ignorant you sound, would know that the british system is way more advanced that you mediocre american educational system. Wow hahahahaha, the things you do in college we have already done in high school for crying out loud. You dimwit, since graduating at 15 is not an accomplishment how old were you when you matriculated????? hahahahahha Please anyone who has used the Cambridge/British system of learning please explain to this uncultured, uninformed ignorant fool why the system is much better hahahahha. We only come to America for opportunity to make more money since its economy is strong you idiot. Know your facts before you speak nonsense from your ethnocentric garbage mindest. wow, the nerve of this idiot!! It's people like you that embody why America is in the shambles that its in today and people can not have a fair shot. *****

Would anybody like to rewrite this with appropriate punctuation? I find it difficult to understand with my 4th grade reading level.

...Stop complaining please.
He just wants to vent at our expense.

Hey man, with your altitude, you are hardly to be qualified to be an dentist in the US, or even any professionals in health care field. I am not a US American, first of all. I have been in US for just 5 years. Also, graduating at age of 15 is not what you can really proud of. You can easily find many Juniors who are 17 years old in many universities. I have met many excellent International students. True, most of them are from Asian (sorry, don't want to be stereotypical about you) and they have pretty impressive Academic performance. However, they can't alway be able to compete with the US American students with same levels of performance. Many of those US American students have much more precious life experiences. Many of them support themselves all the way to professional school from high school. But many Internationals are lacking this ability. Those US Americans are more likely to be able to have more sense of empathy and humble, which what health care professions really need. In deed, many excellent immigrants have contributed a great deal of power to improve US society and the whole world. However, I really doubt they have the same altitude as you do. With your altitude, you can only be suitable to where you have been belonging to. The best in the world are in the US, which you won't be even qualified to comparing with them, and I am also positive that the worst are also here. But, don't be a shame of Internationals.

I do understand what you are saying about the British education system. They are way advanced compared to here. But you have to understand one thing (i may be wrong for some countries) but most of the high schools in third world countries are private which admits some of the best students of the town. Public schools of those countries have pretty much nothing to offer. So obviously results of private schools would be better. Where as American system aims at educating the whole mass irrespective of race, social status and financial situation of the family. So their so called "mediocre" results are obvious. British system is excellent for above average students. But average or below average have a very hard time in that system. I have seen people failing, repeating a whole year in the same class even in grade 2nd.

And you should be happy that what you have done in high school is same in the college and first few years of undergrad will be a piece of cake. At least my high school education is still helping me (non-US high school). But then once you are here, you are here, follow whats here and try to grab the best opportunity you could.

No doubt every country offers the best education they could and people who study there also excel in their career. But you have to be practical also. You might have the best high school education, but still education from a US college is world renowned. Your education in US is recognized almost everywhere. But it doesn't work the other way if you have education from a third world country.

I am proud and happy that i did high school outside of US which helped me so far in undergrad and even on my DAT (no kaplan and studied only for 6 weeks, except RC, second language and stupid ethics passage). But then high school was past, life moves on. My high school education was a foundation for me. But then an undergrad and a grad degree from here will help me to do well in the future (no matter where i am).

Anyways that was too much of writing, i needed a break from studying for the materials exam.
And to the OP, every immigrant has to face struggle in the beginning but if you work hard, you have to get your reward.

So just chill out, live in the present (thats why its called a present) and work hard for your future.

International students don't pay taxes (As in, have never paid U.S. taxes). So yes, it is fair.

I dont think thats right. What about if an international student goes to a grocery store and buys a can of soda? Is an international student not paying tax on the can of soda? What about that?
:laugh:

OK, this is what I think: What makes America a great country is that it is a melting pot from people coming from all over the world. You are absolutely right America is #1. Why? because of international scientists and professionals that contribute to its being a great country. This does not mean that Americans do not contribute. In fact Americans are one of the brightest people in this world but we also need international effort. Just take Einstein as an example. He was a German and he came to the US as an international scientist. Would you want a scientist of a similar caliber as Einstein to leave this country? I dont think so. So it would not be wise to say that internationals should go to another country. International talent is absolutely neccessary for continued success of this country. Just open a few scientific journals and read foreign names and see how many international scientists have contributed in research and medicine :). The fact is that this country needs talent from all over the world and this is what makes it a great country.

I dont think thats right. What about if an international student goes to a grocery store and buys a can of soda? Is an international student not paying tax on the can of soda? What about that?
:laugh:

Obviously the point is that international students don't pay income taxes, etc. This is, however, why we should all support the FairTax!!! *shameless plug*

OK, this is what I think: What makes America a great country is that it is a melting pot from people coming from all over the world. You are absolutely right America is #1. Why? because of international scientists and professionals that contribute to its being a great country. This does not mean that Americans do not contribute. ... The fact is that this country needs talent from all over the world and this is what makes it a great country.

And why exactly do internationals choose to contribute to America, specifically? Why not some other country? Because despite losing some of its former glory, America is still the land of freedom and opportunity. There is nothing here to hold you back other than yourself. You can be as successful as you want to be, and plenty of people want to and do take advantage of that. We are still the greatest experiment in governance in the world. Freedom, individualism, strong work ethic, capitalism, dignity, and respect - all characteristics that this country was founded on. THAT is what makes this country great. You should read "Democracy in America" by Alexis de Tocqueville. Once you get over the fact that (1) he's a socialist and (2) America is not a democracy, it is a great interpretation of the foundations of the country and why it's so different.

So yes, international and foreign people absolutely do contribute to America and our society here. We are, after all, a country of immigrants. But it is the Americans who founded this country and have continued to grow it and shape it over the generations that have made this place great. That, of course, includes all the foreigners who come here and become Americans. There's a reason why people want to come to America and while they'll wait for years and often risk their lives to get here. The freedom and opportunities that Americans have established here allow ANYONE to pursue whatever it is they want to do, and that's why people even bother to come here in the first place.

OK, this is what I think: What makes America a great country is that it is a melting pot from people coming from all over the world. You are absolutely right America is #1. Why? because of international scientists and professionals that contribute to its being a great country. This does not mean that Americans do not contribute. In fact Americans are one of the brightest people in this world but we also need international effort. Just take Einstein as an example. He was a German and he came to the US as an international scientist. Would you want a scientist of a similar caliber as Einstein to leave this country? I dont think so. So it would not be wise to say that internationals should go to another country. International talent is absolutely neccessary for continued success of this country. Just open a few scientific journals and read foreign names and see how many international scientists have contributed in research and medicine :). The fact is that this country needs talent from all over the world and this is what makes it a great country.
Great points. Unfortunately for the OP, he is not one of the best and brightest in the world. If he was, he would have scored high on the DAT and easily gained admission somewhere. Instead he is just another average person and will have to struggle like everyone else. International students with brains like Einstein will have the red carpet rolled out for them. This guy is no Einstein.

Nothing like a guest who acts like one for a few days, then demands the same privileges as the patriarch of the family.

I want to announce how extremely saddened and upset I am for stirring up such wrath and discontent amongs a group of the world's youngest and brightest professionals. I was merely trying to extract some responses on an issue that I did not take enough time to understand. America is a great country, it offers a myriad of opportunites and is very welcoming to people from all walks of life. I appreciate all that America and its people have done for me. I am deeply upset by the tone that this discourse has taken and I wish to whole heartedly apologize to all that have read or are currently reading this thread. We need to embrace and encourage diversity because afterall that is the making of God, we need to realize that the faith of this world is inextricably tied in our abilities to work in cohesion to the fulfilment of one goal. So again, I apologize, good luck to all the young aspiring professionals, power to you all because you will make a difference in this world of chaos. Peace to all.

Kema

For all those who have yet to see this please read. I have tried to end this thread over and over but people seem to keep fueling a fire that has long been doused. If only there was a way to delete threads :rolleyes: lol. Cheers!

For all those who have yet to see this please read. I have tried to end this thread over and over but people seem to keep fueling a fire that has long been doused. If only there was a way to delete threads :rolleyes: lol. Cheers!

Since you are the original poster, I believe you can request that the thread be deleted.

How do I request that a thread be deleted?

Status
Not open for further replies.