International students path to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kwame

[email protected]
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
I want to start an indepth discussion about the challenges an International student faces in admission to medical school.

Two major questions.

1. Does anyone know about admission of international students to medical school. I am internationl student from Uganda attending a state school, Univerisity of New Mexico(UNM). UNM has a very reputable medical school which unforutnately does not admit international students, I hear this is the case with most other state schools in the country. Does anyone know which schools favourably admit international students.

2. Secondly, the funding thing. Could someone share ideas on how to raise funds for medical school ... does anyone know of schools that offer scholarships, or any other form of financial aid.. because as you must know, international students do not qualify for federal loans.
Share your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

kwame said:
hey guys,
I want to start an indepth discussion about the challenges an International student faces in admission to medical school.

Two major questions.

1. Does anyone know about admission of international students to medical school. I am internationl student from Uganda attending a state school, Univerisity of New Mexico(UNM). UNM has a very reputable medical school which unforutnately does not admit international students, I hear this is the case with most other state schools in the country. Does anyone know which schools favourably admit international students.

2. Secondly, the funding thing. Could someone share ideas on how to raise funds for medical school ... does anyone know of schools that offer scholarships, or any other form of financial aid.. because as you must know, international students do not qualify for federal loans.
Share your thoughts.

Kwame,
like most international students, you are in a situation similar their's. the answer to your first Q is tough,but i'll try to tackle it.i'm a graduate student who had aspirations for medical school (still do...i think).anyway the US taxpayer is not inclined to side with international student admission into public medical schools since he/she will be practically paying for a foreigner's education and there's no guarantee that you'll practice it here in the US. I tend to agree with this argument since i'd feel the same if a foreigner tried to gain admission into a public medical school in my country (Kenya) with me--technically--footing the bill. so the answerr to your 1st Q is " apply to private medical schools" they are more inclined to give you a second look, not to mention their scholarship packages are generally more generous than public school institutional scholarships, and are "international student friendly". make sure that at least 89% of the schools you are planning to apply to are private schools.

your 2nd Q; raising funds? well this is tricky.establish good credit and get a loan from your bank or apply for the MD/PhD program (again at a private school).you can also research on third party scholarships which generally have stipulations attached to them like working for a certain ORG for every year of support after graduation.if nothing works, the last resort would be to do your MCAT, apply for Permanent residency (you just have to show the you started the application process.it doesn't have to be complete yet) and join the Armed forces.oh! make sure you have you have graduated or you'll be cleaning decks on the USS gray....

hope this sparks more informative posts....

baadaye,

ndugu,
thank you for your guidance. I will actually be applying to medical schools within the next few months and private schools will ofcourse be primary targets. You're right, they do have more funding opportunities as well.. this is evident just from the information on their websites.
Incase you come across any other information in relation to these issues, kindly let me know
thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
Kwame,

my folks tell me that Makerere has really changed for the worst. is this true? i was singing about it to my cousin until this revelation came along!! i must be leaving in the 80's when the likes of prof. Ali Mazrui were lecturing there...but i'm digressing.
yah! private school is the way to go. i have a friend who graduated from Baylor (should be in your list) and she did the MD/PhD track. she had to have stellar MCATS and GPA, plus Rec. letters.Try to stay on the exemplary end of the Bell curve, because even average MCAT scores will hardly put you in competition because as international students, we are at the bottom of the totem(sp) pole when it comes to admission consideration. you have to realize that even the private medical schools follow a certain paradigm to the admission process i.e,
1.in-state residents (citizens)
2.out of state (citizens)
3.permanent residents
4.international students

that's why your application has to stand out above the rest.it's hard work, but it's definately doable.

lumanyika said:
Kwame,

my folks tell me that Makerere has really changed for the worst. is this true? i was singing about it to my cousin until this revelation came along!! i must be leaving in the 80's when the likes of prof. Ali Mazrui were lecturing there...but i'm digressing.
yah! private school is the way to go. i have a friend who graduated from Baylor (should be in your list) and she did the MD/PhD track. she had to have stellar MCATS and GPA, plus Rec. letters.Try to stay on the exemplary end of the Bell curve, because even average MCAT scores will hardly put you in competition because as international students, we are at the bottom of the totem(sp) pole when it comes to admission consideration. you have to realize that even the private medical schools follow a certain paradigm to the admission process i.e,
1.in-state residents (citizens)
2.out of state (citizens)
3.permanent residents
4.international students

that's why your application has to stand out above the rest.it's hard work, but it's definately doable.

ndugu lumanyika,

I have always held Makerere in high esteem, and I am surprised to hear about the drastic drop in standards you mentioned. I know they've been a few controversies in the recent past, but nothing to dramatic as to plummet her reputable standards.... On the other hand, I might also be living in the 90's or event 80's...I ought to do some more inquiry into this.
I am going to take the next several weeks and call up as many of the private schools as I can.. it appears they are the ones I will be targetting.
Got any ideas on how to make one's application stand out above the rest, supplementary to academic achievement ? And do you know if there would be any schools with a preference for students returning to practice in economically poorer parts of the world,.. or any schools that might have a preferance for African students,.. or any other favorable factors that I could exploit ?

kwame said:
hey guys,

Two major questions.

Ans. Try GWU and Howard I know some people who have gone there

Share your thoughts.

Ans. If you are a woman try american medical women's association: I think they have some money. Also go on google and search(International student scholarships). I found some for a friend

kwame said:
ndugu lumanyika,

I have always held Makerere in high esteem, and I am surprised to hear about the drastic drop in standards you mentioned. I know they've been a few controversies in the recent past, but nothing to dramatic as to plummet her reputable standards.... On the other hand, I might also be living in the 90's or event 80's...I ought to do some more inquiry into this.
I am going to take the next several weeks and call up as many of the private schools as I can.. it appears they are the ones I will be targetting.
Got any ideas on how to make one's application stand out above the rest, supplementary to academic achievement ? And do you know if there would be any schools with a preference for students returning to practice in economically poorer parts of the world,.. or any schools that might have a preferance for African students,.. or any other favorable factors that I could exploit ?

Try Meharry at the interview I heard some of them mentioning something of that sort and their graduating classes usually have a high number of international students some of whom are from yes Africa

nne97080 said:
Try Meharry at the interview I heard some of them mentioning something of that sort and their graduating classes usually have a high number of international students some of whom are from yes Africa

yeah, am in the same boat as you kwame, and in my search so far I think your best bet would be among the following private schools:

Meharry
AECOM
WashU
Duke
Emory
Wake Forest
NYMC
Georgetown
Howard
Rosalind Franklin

that's the primary list of schools I am appyling to this summer, might add a few or take some away depending on my MCAT score. so at this point, i think it's certainly doable ....just make sure ur GPA and MCAT stands out, and MD/PhD is also a good option provided you have strong research background!

rain1_rain1 said:
yeah, am in the same boat as you kwame, and in my search so far I think your best bet would be among the following private schools:

Meharry
AECOM
WashU
Duke
Emory
Wake Forest
NYMC
Georgetown
Howard
Rosalind Franklin

that's the primary list of schools I am appyling to this summer, might add a few or take some away depending on my MCAT score. so at this point, i think it's certainly doable ....just make sure ur GPA and MCAT stands out, and MD/PhD is also a good option provided you have strong research background!

rain,
thanks.. let's make this med school thing happen, I'm tired of the pessimists i keep coming across who relay to me that international students can't make it to medical school.
I got those on my list too... keep me posted on your progress.

thanks again
kwame

PS: Incase anyone wants to contact me directly, PM me or just drop a note to [email protected]

Hey Kwame,

I feel your pain my african brother...i was in your shoes a couple of yrs ago, now i'm finishing up my second yr and about to take the MCAT remix (aka USMLE Step 1).
Listen, the process of getting in is tough, tiresome, and extremely long..but its so very doable. Dont let the pessimists get to u. I am originally from sudan and both me and my brother (a yr younger) applied and we got accepted in the same yr first try. Dont make the mistake i made though. During my application i didnt realize that quite anumber of school actually require u to be a citizen or have a green card, so i ended up with a pile of interview letters that i couldnt answer and that limited my chances big time. My advise to u is to contact the schools u want to attend and check with them before u pay that huge sum of money.
About being exceptionally stellar in everything...well...its a good thing to be on that side of the curve but its not really a necessity. Both me and my brother we scored<30 in the MCATs...we had good GPAs...a few volunteers here and there..nothing that shiny on the application. I ended up getting accepted into NYU, albany, and howard...and now i am at howard. My brother got accepted into albany, columbia, penn state (they refuted his acceptance when they finally figured out he doesnt have a green card), and now he is a second yr at hopkins. point is...if u have >25 MCAT, GPA>3.5...u did something in college other than going to class and getting drunk/high....then ur chances r pretty alright.

I wish u all the best,

pm if u need any help

Peace

IOE said:
Hey Kwame,

I feel your pain my african brother...i was in your shoes a couple of yrs ago, now i'm finishing up my second yr and about to take the MCAT remix (aka USMLE Step 1).
Listen, the process of getting in is tough, tiresome, and extremely long..but its so very doable. Dont let the pessimists get to u. I am originally from sudan and both me and my brother (a yr younger) applied and we got accepted in the same yr first try. Dont make the mistake i made though. During my application i didnt realize that quite anumber of school actually require u to be a citizen or have a green card, so i ended up with a pile of interview letters that i couldnt answer and that limited my chances big time. My advise to u is to contact the schools u want to attend and check with them before u pay that huge sum of money.
About being exceptionally stellar in everything...well...its a good thing to be on that side of the curve but its not really a necessity. Both me and my brother we scored<30 in the MCATs...we had good GPAs...a few volunteers here and there..nothing that shiny on the application. I ended up getting accepted into NYU, albany, and howard...and now i am at howard. My brother got accepted into albany, columbia, penn state (they refuted his acceptance when they finally figured out he doesnt have a green card), and now he is a second yr at hopkins. point is...if u have >25 MCAT, GPA>3.5...u did something in college other than going to class and getting drunk/high....then ur chances r pretty alright.

I wish u all the best,

pm if u need any help

Peace

IOE,
thanks for your help. I Just PM'ed you ..
Keep the advice coming guys.. I would like to one day create a step by step guide on how our fellow african brothers and siters.. and international students in general can get through this process.

Hey there,
I am an international student attending the University of Kansas. Unfortunately like most of what you guys have experienced, KU School of Medicine do not take international students. I tried to apply for the MD programs in about 10 private schools last year, but didn't get in. This year, I applied to a DO school instead and I am on the way to my first semester as a medical student this coming fall. When my pre-med advisor first talked to me about DO schools, I was a little skeptical since it's not as internationally recognized as MD schools. However, at least within the US, DOs are allowed to practice in every specialties and they do basically everything MDs do....so I would say ... try to apply to DO schools if you are experiencing difficulties trying to get into MD schools...
Financial wise....I am still trying to find a student loan program that will lend money to international student. Most of the programs I found need a US citizen or permanent resident as a co-signer. Anybody can offer some help here ?

Hey there,
I am an international student attending the University of Kansas. Unfortunately like most of what you guys have experienced, KU School of Medicine do not take international students. I tried to apply for the MD programs in about 10 private schools last year, but didn't get in. This year, I applied to a DO school instead and I am on the way to my first semester as a medical student this coming fall. When my pre-med advisor first talked to me about DO schools, I was a little skeptical since it's not as internationally recognized as MD schools. However, at least within the US, DOs are allowed to practice in every specialties and they do basically everything MDs do....so I would say ... try to apply to DO schools if you are experiencing difficulties trying to get into MD schools...
Financial wise....I am still trying to find a student loan program that will lend money to international student. Most of the programs I found need a US citizen or permanent resident as a co-signer. Anybody can offer some help here ?

first of all i'd like to congratulate you on your acceptance! secondly, i'd suggest going through your bank (higher interest rate, but hey....) which would need a co-signer if and only if your credit score doesn't cut it.

Also try to get another degree in addition to your DO (maybe MPH, PhD, etc) that would supplement your DO credentials if you are planning on practicing outside the US in the future.