International students with U.S. MD degree...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocolateshake

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am an international student and I will be going to medical school in the U.S. starting this Fall (I am currently finishing my undergrad here, on an F-1 visa and I have already been accepted at a couple of schools). Now, I know that getting into medical school is quite tough for internationals as most med schools accept only 2-3 every year. I was wondering if these stats are consistent right up to residency admissions too. Are internationals with a U.S. MD degree still at a disadvantage when applying for residencies?

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows what type of visas are issued to international students during the residency years - J-1 or H-1? And would we have to return to our home country for a couple of years after residency, or is there any way to continue straight after residency by getting hired here by an institution, which can then eventually sponsor our greencards?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone??

I am getting really nervous as I feel like not obtaining a permanent residency prior to my match will have an extremely negative effect.

I also heard (dont know if it is accurate or not), that ALL residency programs give out J-1 visas. So do ALL internationals go back home or work in an underserved area here for a couple of years after residency? And if they do work here, then how easy is it to get an H-1 and then a greencard after that??

Please help!!!

Originally posted by chocolateshake
Anyone??

I am getting really nervous as I feel like not obtaining a permanent residency prior to my match will have an extremely negative effect.

I also heard (dont know if it is accurate or not), that ALL residency programs give out J-1 visas. So do ALL internationals go back home or work in an underserved area here for a couple of years after residency? And if they do work here, then how easy is it to get an H-1 and then a greencard after that??

Please help!!!

Look at my other post.

What country are you from? Which school are you going to?

Different countries have different documentation you need for J1, and in some cases, your only real practical option is to take a H1B.

And as a matched US senior med student on F1 who is non citizen/greencard (and can only take an H1B because I am from Canada - and matched at a program that will give me an H1B for residency), I would have to say that a lot of what you do will depend on the specialty you are interested in entering (if this specialty has a lot of experience dealing with IMG's then they will know what to do about visa issues, whereas if you are the first international citizen they take in their program, then you might come across a lot more problems), how competitive it is (if it's a real competitive specialty, then they will much rather take someone else who is equally qualified but dont have a visa problem), is this an "IMG friendly" specialty (see above) and finally, how competitive or "desirable" YOU are to the residency you wish to enter (in which the med school you attend will play a big role in determining that) - if you are competitive and the program wants you, then they will more likely to give you what you need.

And you are doing the right thing in starting to plan things out early. There is no easy answer, and the right answer for you will depend on you answers the above questions.

I have done a lot of reading and research on this subject over this application cycle. PM me if you want to discuss more about this subject or any specifics.