bigDee

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I know two people who immigrated here from another country and previously received a degree in biology when they were in Pakistan. One has a 4.0 after two years of community college. Another has a 4.0 after a year of community college and a year of smu. My question is, do you guys think they have an advantage with their gpa since one, they have already seen a lot of the course material before and two, they have already experienced the rigors of a university? I don't think they will be reporting that they already have a degree from out of the country since there's no reason to. Either way, do you think this advantage is fair or unfair?

I haven't put much thought into this but it's just something I've considered and I'm wondering if med schools consider it too. I'm wondering if they take into consideration a person's gpa as differently than normal for someone who has already had 3/4 of the same classes out of the country.

littlealex

little tiny alex
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Dude, they have to adjust to a new culture and master materials under a new language. They deserve whatever grade they get. Plus, it sucks superbly for them to have to retake everything AGAIN that they already know.

School doesn't judge you on how fast you learn, they judge you on how well you know the material on the day of the test.

I don't think med schools care.

OP
B

bigDee

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Dude, they have to adjust to a new culture and master materials under a new language. They deserve whatever grade they get. Plus, it sucks superbly for them to have to retake everything AGAIN that they already know.
First you imply that the material they learn is new because its in a different language. Then you say it sucks that they have to retake the same material they already know. So which one, do they know it already or not?

nimbusadjust120

~Singaporean~
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2008
Singapore
Status
Pre-Medical
First you imply that the material they learn is new because its in a different language. Then you say it sucks that they have to retake the same material they already know. So which one, do they know it already or not?
They might know it but it must be in English.

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I know two people who immigrated here from another country and previously received a degree in biology when they were in Pakistan. One has a 4.0 after two years of community college. Another has a 4.0 after a year of community college and a year of smu. My question is, do you guys think they have an advantage with their gpa since one, they have already seen a lot of the course material before and two, they have already experienced the rigors of a university? I don't think they will be reporting that they already have a degree from out of the country since there's no reason to. Either way, do you think this advantage is fair or unfair?

I haven't put much thought into this but it's just something I've considered and I'm wondering if med schools consider it too. I'm wondering if they take into consideration a person's gpa as differently than normal for someone who has already had 3/4 of the same classes out of the country.
I think its 100% fair. Do you think you have an unfair advantage when you take your english classes?

eikenhein

Supreme Commander Anesthesiologist
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
They might know it but it must be in English.
If they are from Pakistan, India, Hong Kong, Singapore, or many other Asian countries, they might have already learned English as part of their education.

OP
B

bigDee

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
If they are from Pakistan, India, Hong Kong, Singapore, or many other Asian countries, they might have already learned English as part of their education.
So in this situation, do you guys think their 4.0 is equal?