International students..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eun2408

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I was thinking if you're not a citizen or a green card holder then you're out? Or do you have the same chance as other applicants?

I know this is an issue in medical school (they won't even look at your file and return it right away) but is dental school has the same policy?

In short, if you got an interview does it mean you're considered with the same possibility as other citizens?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by eun2408
Hey,
I was thinking if you're not a citizen or a green card holder then you're out? Or do you have the same chance as other applicants?

I know this is an issue in medical school (they won't even look at your file and return it right away) but is dental school has the same policy?

In short, if you got an interview does it mean you're considered with the same possibility as other citizens?

Hi. I totaly can relate to your question. I am myself a bit of delema because of this problem. I do not have a green card, nor I am a citizen of United States. BUT I do not consider myself an international student either. For a reason that my green card application is in process and been in process for almost 4 years now. I have no plans on leaving the country so the good old argument for international students does not apply here.
I think the dental schools will look at your application and will even admit you regularly if your undergrad education is US. However one might have problems financing his/her education. Due to the fact that most of the loans are available to only Citizens and green card holders. There are numerous resources available however, if you have a person to co-sign your application for a loan. Now regarding your status there might descripancies with the infamous INS. Varify your status with them and if possible obtain your status case number and A number. That will help you tremendously. PM me and we could discuss this further.
Med schools will not look at your application if you don't have a green card period. By having I mean, possessing the actual card and not just the number or a letter of some sort. I have learned this from my friends who spend thousands of dollars on their applications and got refunds for their applicaiton fees but no refunds for the Standarized application.
Good luck to you.

-Balki-

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by eun2408
Hey,

I too am in the same boat... I don't have my citizenship nor greencard. I am originally from Canada, and before that, Trinidad West Indies. I wouldn't fret as long as you have your undergraduate from US and you can fund it; as Balki said.

as long as you study the prerequisites in the u.s. or canada
there's no problem to get into dental schools in the u.s
there are some schools that they don't accept foreign students
I'm studying prerequsites in canada and applying to the schools in the states.