International Training Options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HomoHumilis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I'm two years out from internship for clinical psych and am particularly interested in neurorehab. Whether the site is neuro - rehab, or, rehab - neuro, I'm still feeling out/researching. However, I very much love international travel

Does anyone have any experience, or knowledge, regarding being an American student and doing an internship abroad (UK, etc. - English-speaking) prior to post-doc? Or, is this not a viable option due to APA rules? Is there a work-around in terms of taking a test, etc.? :)

Essentially, I'd like to not be tied down to the US so much in terms of my career. I'll plan/assume consulting, teaching, research opportunities and the like will be possible once I've finished my degree here, but would also love to be set up to practice abroad (and not tied to government options, which I know is a route).

Cheers and much appreciation for any time someone puts in to reply!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone!

I'm two years out from internship for clinical psych and am particularly interested in neurorehab. Whether the site is neuro - rehab, or, rehab - neuro, I'm still feeling out/researching. However, I very much love international travel (what you get when you marry an anthropologist) :)

Does anyone have any experience, or knowledge, regarding being an American student and doing an internship abroad (UK, etc. - English-speaking) prior to post-doc? Or, is this not a viable option due to APA rules? Is there a work-around in terms of taking a test, etc.? :)

Essentially, I'd like to not be tied down to the US so much in terms of my career. I'll plan/assume consulting, teaching, research opportunities and the like will be possible once I've finished my degree here, but would also love to be set up to practice abroad (and not tied to government options, which I know is a route).

Cheers and much appreciation for any time someone puts in to reply!
Are you asking if there is a test you could take along with your non-accredited foreign internship instead of completing an accredited internship?

As far as I know, there's no such test, though I don't think that having an unaccredited internship is prohibited by the APA per se. It's more about whether your program allows it (my program doesn't allow students to graduate if their internship isn't APA-accredited) and about limiting your job opportunities for the future, as APPIC AND APA don't accredit internship outside the US. I'd imagine many (most?) neuro and rehab locations are going to require APA accredited internships.

Reactions: 1 user
Nicest way I can put it: this career path will not work. I can give much more detailed reasons that cost me 5 figures to learn, but you won't like them.

Members don't see this ad :)
As others have said, this would likely be a difficult path to follow, particularly if there's a plan to ever practice in the US in the future (and especially RE: neuro). Overgeneralizing from my little bit of anecdotal knowledge through friends and peers, portability seems easier when going from the US/Canada to other countries than vice-versa.

Short answer: It is highly unlikely and highly not recommended to complete your post-doc outside of the USA.

Long answer: Once you are licensed in the USA you “may” be able to get licensed elsewhere, though it is highly variable. Doing post-doc abroad is highly unlikely unless it is purely research-based, but I would *still* strongly encourage you to get licensed before leaving.

I’ve seen licensure work easiest in Canada, though I know they have statutes/laws about allowing ppl to work in Canada and often needing to prove you are filling a speciality position of need. It’s been a number of years since I looked, but I entertained a possible job at U of Toronto, so I poked around to see what was involved.

I’ve seen licensure be a PITA for Australia. There are some Australian researchers who present over here with some frequency, so I asked them about licensure. They warned me about the hoops and then I saw a friend go through it....it took quite a few months and a ton of paperwork.

UK is annoying bc the work visa situation can be competitive. Also cost of living can be rough.

Reactions: 1 users

Finish your training in the US. That's the only viable plan.

After graduation you can look for research jobs in academia or industry. There are decent paying telecommuting jobs in industry that would enable you to travel more flexibly. It's not impossible to practice after you've been licensed in the US, but there are many hoops to jump through and I wouldn't count on building a career around this.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks, everyone! I'd waited around for my email to alert me to your replies, but see I had to log back in to see you'd all responded the same day - impressive community!

I'll appease everyone stateside, then, and then gallivant about with my degree discovering just how flexible it can be. Again, thank you for your replies!
Nicest way I can put it: this career path will not work. I can give much more detailed reasons that cost me 5 figures to learn, but you won't like them.
Like them, or not, I'm open ears!