international undergrad. go to american dental school. and then what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

levesque2177

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, so ive been searching the international dental forum, but it seems like most of the posts there are about foreign dentists trying to get into the international dental programs or residencies in the US. im an international undergrad student studying at an american university (F1 visa) who has yet to get into a dental school of any sort. i know that american private dental schools dont really discriminate between nationalities (as long as i can prove to them that i can pay my way through all four years) so getting in wont be that big a deal. but what about after dental school? how hard is it to find a job (i.e. get sponsored for a work visa that can later be exchanged for a green card) from the get-go? my ultimate goal is to specialize in oral and maxillofacial surgery, but since the vast majority of the programs require that you be a permanent resident or a US citizen, im trying to find a way to get my green card first and then apply to residency. so is it difficult to just find a job fresh out of dental school as an international student (im making the assumption that new dentists dont just go set up their own private practice right after graduating)? If so, what would be the next step for people like me upon graduation? thanks in advance to anyone who's able to help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
ok well maybe my situation is too uncommon that there arent that many people out there that can give me good advice. so let me modify my question a bit. forget the whole international student part. what if im an american, and fresh out of dental school. other than residency, what can i do? would i be able to work at a hospital or join a dental group or set up my own practice right away? just trying to look at the bigger picture. i feel like im so focused on the getting in to dental school part that i often forget about what's to come afterwards and how i should prepare for that. especially with my situation where im not an american or permanent resident, things are twice as more difficult and complicated, so i just want to look at different paths and plan things out early. any help would be greatly appreciated!

You have a very long way to go. Why not take one problem at a time?

Members don't see this ad :)
i just dont want to end up going down the wrong path only to find out that because im international, i wont be able to do it. its hard when youre not american because of all the extra legal issues. right now im debating on whether to go back to my home country and go to dental school there, then coming back to the states to complete an international dental program and then work on getting my green card, or if i should just go into an american dental school and then try to get it that way. i just dont know which one would be more cost/time efficient and more in favour towards me. i know its my own personal issue, but i was just wondering if anyone was going through a similar situation or already has gone through it that can help out.

You might want to talk to a few program directors both DDS and OMFS. Things are rapidly changing. They do accept international students for programs they were not accepted to before. In any case you have a long way to go.

If you ultimatly want to be able to practice in US then why dnt go to school here..4 years and u will be done, why u wana go back spend 4-5 yeas in ur country and then again come back spend another 2-3 years doing Advanced Standing DDS program...makes no sense to me..

Dnt get into any extra issues, striaghtway go to D school here and in the school u will get to knw what u wana do after DDS.

Hope it helps.

thanks guys for your advice and comments. in addressing what the last poster has said, the reason that im not sure about going to dental school in the US is that i dont know if i will be able to find a dental job right after dental school that would be willing to sponsor a working visa for me so that i can get my green card. if it is common for companies and employers to do so, then for sure id like to go to dental school here in the states. im just trying to find out whether or not if this is common or if it's even possible to establish private practice as a foreigner right after graduation.
ive been looking around and information has been scarce, and with the failing economy, i feel like employers would be less willing to sponsor foreigners for work when their own citizens need jobs more than ever. nonetheless, thanks for the posts and if anyone has anything relevant to this topic, please post. it would really help me and those in similar situations out.

hello. i am a fresh graduate in dentistry from india.. intend to serve two years in rural charitable dental hospitals and then pursue DDS in the united states.. i have not much clue about the advanced standing course... could you please help me out on this....( wish to pursue Phd in maxillofacial surgery)

to both of you, if i'm not mistaken, oral and maxillofacial surgery is a helluva long drawn procedure. firstly it's not easy at all, and secondly it requires ALOT more studying than the other specialties.

I think (someone correct me if i'm wrong) to be a certified max fac surgeon you have to be MD qualified, i.e. you gotta be a dentist and doctor (medicine doc). There are, of course, increased chances of the patient dying on the chair, increased usage of g.a., very complicated surgeries in which knowledge of the head and neck is not enough. And if the patient dies on the dental chair you've got to be qualified to write a death certificate.

So yeah.. double check.

And undergrad kid, looonnggg way.. things could change 180 degrees (including te economic scene) by the time you to get to postgrad. Most people work a few years, do research etc. even before applying. dentistry, and MS dental programs aren't just a walk in ;)

best of luck to both of you in your endevours though!

thanks guys for your advice and comments. in addressing what the last poster has said, the reason that im not sure about going to dental school in the US is that i dont know if i will be able to find a dental job right after dental school that would be willing to sponsor a working visa for me so that i can get my green card. if it is common for companies and employers to do so, then for sure id like to go to dental school here in the states. im just trying to find out whether or not if this is common or if it's even possible to establish private practice as a foreigner right after graduation.
ive been looking around and information has been scarce, and with the failing economy, i feel like employers would be less willing to sponsor foreigners for work when their own citizens need jobs more than ever. nonetheless, thanks for the posts and if anyone has anything relevant to this topic, please post. it would really help me and those in similar situations out.

I think u should do your dental school from here rather than going back to ur country. trust me it is less competitive to do dental school here than as an international dentist trying to get licenced. You will be able to get your green card sponsored from dental companies provided you are willing to sign a contract to work with them for a certain period of time( read Companies like western dental which in my opinion really milk you to death)....so anyways I would check with big dental groups to see what kind of a deal they offer in exchange for green card sponsorship.......or he he he if you are not married ...then get married to a citizen...problem solved ;) just kidding

i just dont want to end up going down the wrong path only to find out that because im international, i wont be able to do it. its hard when youre not american because of all the extra legal issues. right now im debating on whether to go back to my home country and go to dental school there, then coming back to the states to complete an international dental program and then work on getting my green card, or if i should just go into an american dental school and then try to get it that way. i just dont know which one would be more cost/time efficient and more in favour towards me. i know its my own personal issue, but i was just wondering if anyone was going through a similar situation or already has gone through it that can help out.

You shuld do it from the US itself. the Advanced standing option is also not a bad option if u wanna save money, but you land up loosing abt 2-3 years.. :(
Abt career options, I dont think you shuld worry abt job oppertunities after ur DDS/DMD. few dental degrees can match upto the american system.
you'll get an dentists job easily.. dont worry. if you dont, u culd work for a dental company as mentioned by someone, work in rural settings in some states, work in insurance cos, faculty at dental school,etc..
Even if everything does not work out in the US because of the green-card thing (very unlinkely), you can still take up jobs in many countries with ur american degree. the middle east nations prefer american degree holders to anything and ur earnings will be tax free.
You'll manage fine..dont worry!

P.S : we'll discuss maxfac 4 years hence.