international university of health sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sun-n-fun

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info/experience with this school? null

Members don't see this ad.

It looks to me like a fairly decent program. I was accepted there previously and considered going, but they aren't eligible (at least weren't eligible) for US financial aid. That may not be an issue for you, but it was for me. Take it slow, and hopefully someone else has some more recent experience.

On campus or via Distance?

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know the school has its own financial aid. Furthermore, the tuition per semester has dropped to 5600 from 8000. I am currently in my second semester, on campus in St. Kitts.
If you have questions feel free to contact me at [email protected].

hvitgris, if you could post some of your experiences and impressions here, that would be very beneficial to many SDN readers. Thanks!

be very careful!!!

this school offers a "distance learning program" for health professionals. may be a high quality thing, they sell it as PBL. but, as you may guess, many states take issue with learning medicine over the internet at home...some states (PA comes to mind) will not accept a degree at all from a school that OFFERS :eek: the program. this is very bad news for all the students busting there butt on campus, only to get screwed by the fact that the school offers such a program. there are some interesting comments at www.network54.com/forum/4609 . check out the special section on IUHS also.

i would be very careful with this school. it has been the subject of much heated discussion, and the best defense the school comes up with is that the education is superior to other schools. a nice claim, but with no board scores, graduates, licenses or residencies, a tough one to back up. as us foriegn students know, we already have a tough enough time. save a headache and a waste of money by attending an established school. new things are not always bad, but in this case i would wait to see what they do, or go to a school with good recors, not just good claims!!

best of luck :)

The irony of you complaining about learning over the internet when apparently you spend most of your time online. How many medical schools do not post study and review material online for their students? People should write factual information on these pages not "beware I heard from my neighbors cousin that his dog said...."

While it is TRUE that many schools offer lecture notes and other study materials on-line, it is also true that at least one state (ie, PA) will not license physicians who have studied under such a curriculum. It says right here on my Graduate Medical license application.

As with all programs, interested parties are advised to research it thoroughly (not just relying on hearsay) and research the licensing requirements in the state in which they envision practicing.

i did not mean to imply that internet learning is a bad thing...just wanted to relay some information about a school so a potential student could make an informed decision!

i love the internet, use it a lot...but i would be hesitant to accept it as the main method of instruction for my medical degree. there are tons of resources (i used a lot of radiology sites for gross anatomy final) and everyone should use them. but i still needed cadaver lab!

basically, i wish only the best for all students at every school. i firmly beilieve that if you want this bad enough and work toward it hard enough, just about any school that can get you an ECFMG cert can help you achieve your goals. but, with that said, i would still do my homework and go to the school that did not limit my ability to apply for licensure.

best of luck!

In order to be licensed in most (all?) states one has to be a graduate of a medical school listed in the World Health Organization (WHO) World Directory of Medical Schools. This is a UN publication. WHO sends a questionaire to the appropriate officials in each country asking them to list the medical schools recognized by whatever authorities in the country are responsible for "accrediting."

This listing is not necessarily a seal of approval of quality, just official recognition. The WI medical schools get approval from the local governments, not the US. Many give approval because the graduates will not practice in that country and it is a source of revenue, especially US dollars. This comment is in no way meant to impugn the quality of the medical education, which is quite high in some of them, but recognition is not necessarily a judgement of quality. It IS in the US and major countries in the world.

In the US, accreditation is the responsibity of the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME), a joint committee of the AMA and AAMC. In most countries, it is the government that decides.

An on-line medical school, not recognized in the country in which it is based, will not allow anyone with a degree from them to become a licensed physician, or even to get a residency, also required for licensure, in the US.

Whether or not US medical schools have some on-line learning services is irrelevant.
Whether on-line learning is efficent and sufficent is also irrelevant. A graduate of a foreign medical school who wants to practice in the US must be eligible to sit for a four-part national examination, 3 parts of which are the same that US medical school students take during their passage through medical school and residency; FMGs now have to take a fourth part, a practical exam in medical skills. More than half of medical education is practical experience with patients. Residency training is all working with patients and a US residency is impossible without a medical degree from a WHO listed medical school.

Caveat emptor, Latin for let the buyer beware.

Anyone who wants a medical education should not waste time and energy arguing the merits of on-line medical education. It will not get them what they must have to get a medical education and licensure.

i am pretty sure IUHS is recognized by WHO...but, as you mentioned, that listing is pretty easy to obtain.

IMG's have a tough time convincing others that we are well educated/ a good point to remember is that it is fine and good for a US school to be innovative...but a foreign school should stick to what works!

The main point that most people are unaware of is that the vast majority of the DLP students do not have a major in biology or philosophy etc..They are chiropractors, RN's, nurse practioners, physiotherapists, etc..with years and years of experience in the health care field, which you cannot teach someone who is sitting in the best medical school in the world. Moreover, most are married and have families which makes going to a foreign medical school very difficult. Therefore, why not bring the medical school to them via the internet. They receive online lectures, tutorials, etc for each CASE presented, since it is PBL. Each has a mentor(assigned doctor) from which they receive additional help, clinical guidance etc all in the very same hospital in which they work. Makes sense to me. 90% of what a doctor does is communicate with people the best doctors will tell you that a good history usually makes the diagnosis. So how can you compare working with patients from the FIRST DAY of medical school to sitting in a lab learning anatomy from a corpse (very dead and lacks ability to communicate) for an entire year. It all relative, some people would rather have 5-8 hours of lectures a day(remembering about 10% of what they received) rapidly taking down notes or receiving handouts, which is what? exactly the same thing that the DLP students see on their computers.

2 quick points.
1. distance learning may be a good thing, but foreign schools are best advised to not be innovative. state boards are tough enough to deal with with traditional schools.
2 i am an emt with 10=years experience in a hospital, and i have an undergrad degree in anatomy and physiology. i can tell you right now that my clinical experience is fine and ddandy when it comes to seeing patients, but that the basic science portion of school was not any easier because of it. if anybody should study basic sciences at home it should be the fresh college grads who know how to study and learn...not the nurses,podiatrists, chiros who have not taken a class in a long time...taking care of patients is a long way from biochemistry...

While I understand the interest in DLP - especially for the adult learner, those who are interested would be well advised to do some more research and listen to Gower's excellent advice. It IS irrelevant whether or not this is a better way to learn or whether other fields use the technique if you are unable to be licensed in a state of your choice in the US.

Neil,
note that the school also uses problem based learning, the only biochemistry we are forced do learn relates to common conditions in which a person lacks or is deficient in a certain enzyme etc, how to negate the differentials and how to treat if possible.
Ask someone who has recently taken STEP 1, everything is case presentations not name this strucure etc.
True that some individuals will have troubles AT FIRST getting liscenced in their own state but some states do not accept any FMGs well not directly anyway, but all intelligent people know that a house without a front door usually has one in the back
Thus, DLP is not for all but for some it works.
For those of us on campus we will be in the same boat as all FMGs

i only wish the best for all the on-campus students, but you are clearly NOt in the same boat. by virtue of your school offering a DLP, you are unable to get a license in PA...and who knows about other states.

as for certain states being inaccesible to all IMG's that is not true. many schools have grads practicing in all 50 states (Ross, AUC, St. Georges)

so, to a certain degree, you are right about IMG's being in the same boat. but, there is a disadvantage to being from a school that may have some controversy...

anyhow, all the best, and i hope that my worries prove to be silly