International University of the Health Sciences

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by CVPA, Oct 8, 2000.

1. CVPA

CVPA Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

OK guys, here is the scenario, your learned input and comments would be greatly appreciated......

I am a US trained cardiac surgical PA of 4-years who recently applied to the International University of the Health Sciences Distance Learning Program (DLP)for allied health professionals. This is a 40-month program (no advanced standing)where the didactic portion is delivered via internet technology. Clerkships are performed in the US. They also have a regular program on campus which reportedly is pretty shabby (the facilities,I mean) as the school just started up in September of 1999. The school is legally chartered in St. Kitts, WI and is listed with the WHO in their Worldwide Directory of Medical Schools(I verified both). Graduates should be eligible to take the USMLE Step 1 and get ECFMG certified. Charter DLP class takes Step 1 in Jan/Feb 2001.

I have contacted numerous state board's of medicine and reviewed statutes for licensure as this seems to be a concern of many of us who have applied and/or are in the program. The common denominator in educational requirements for IMGs is 1) program must be four academic years, no less than 32 months 2) listed with the WHO's Worldwide Directory of Medical Schools, 3) must be leaglly chartered in the country in which it is located, and 4) graduate must be ECFMG certified.

This program appears to satisfy all of the above. None (with the exception of Massachusetts and California) that I reviewed seemed to indicate that Distance Learning is unacceptable. More and more universities in this country are using this modality to educate students. Examples: George Washington Univ., University of Nebraska, NOVA/Southeastern University all have Master degrees online for PAs. U of Penn's medical school even has a Virtual Class (which they call VC2000) to augment their curriculum.

It seems to me that this is a new and viable avenue to educate CERTAIN applicants who have a strong medical background. This is certainly not for someone fresh out of their pre-med undergraduate with little or no medical background.

What are your thoughts on this? Does anyone have any personal experiences with IUHS?

Thanks for taking the time to read this posting.

Chris

2. girlMD2be

girlMD2be Member
    10+ Year Member

I was told by my state's medical licensing board that you have to attend classes on the actual campus for a minimum of 32 months. So, they said "no" to accepting distance learning coursework for an MD degree. Maybe things are different for US med schools using distance learning programs than for foreign med schools. All I know is since it is a big enough hassle going through established channels for an IMG, I decided to steer clear of uncharted waters.

3. CVPA

CVPA Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for your response. Which state are you referring to?

Chris