[International] UNLV vs MWU-AZ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kinnieeee

Reaction score
I've received several acceptances this cycle. After doing lots of research, I narrowed down to these two schools but I'm still having a hard time making the final decision. Would love to get some advice from you guys! Since I'm an international student, no matter which school I choose, I'll pay OOS tuition throughout 4 years.
P/S: I'm currently residing in Southern California and I have friends and family here. I probably will have to travel back to CA during breaks or long holidays.

UNLV (OOS) - about 520k for 4 years

Pros:
- Closer to CA (4 hours of driving)
- Public state school
- Has good clinical program

Cons:
- The area around campus is not that safe (or dead? - heard from some people)
- super high tuition for a public school.
- heard some bad news about their clinical program lately ever since there's a new Dean?
- not having state of the art technology as MWU-AZ.
- Ranking system.

MWU-AZ (OOS) - about 516k for 4 years

Pros:
- State of the art technology.
- Nice campus
- Great clinical programs, including implants.
- Friendly faculty.

Cons:
- 5 hours and 30 min of driving to CA
- Big class size

The living expenses in both areas are pretty similar. The tuition I mentioned above already includes living expenses based on the estimated costs given by both schools.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I go to UNLV and you can apply for In-state tuition after the first year of residency. The school is also completely up to date with their technology and the curriculum is pretty good imo. Tuition for instate for all 4 years is like 220k I believe without interest so I think it would be around 250k for out of state if you got in-state residency after 1 year.
The title says op is an international student so won’t be eligible for the instate tuition.
I would go to midwestern.
it’s cheaper and just extra 1hr and 30min more driving.

Reactions: 2 users
MWU-AZ has an excellent clinical experience and is a fantastic school. just way too much $$.

If you don't mind, can I ask how things work with you for Visa stuff? do you get a visa from the school to stay? also wondering I heard that you cannot take out federal student loans as an international student. Are you using family savings or getting private loans?