[International] UPitt vs. Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ttt7732

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I am a non-Canadian international student and I am hoping just to do general practice. I got a couple of offers and narrowed down to these two schools. Hope you guys can help me find the right place!

UPitt:
Pros:
I really really like the faculties when I went there for interview! Who would've thought you can get a playtime with a big doggo as part of your interview haha. Really like the special needs clinic. Pittsburgh is a great city to live in and the cost of living is really not that bad.
I know two students who go there right now so I think I know the school a bit better than Tufts. Up until now I've heard lots of good things about UPitt.
My offer didn't come with scholarship but I heard if I can make it to top 8 in your grade (GPA) then you can get the same amount of scholarship! I guess I will try lol

Cons:
One of the two students I mentioned told me that the clinical training is good at UPitt but Tufts might be better. not sure if it's true or is it just a one person perspective. I guess it wouldn't matter that much if I decide to do GPR but I'm still not sure yet.
The building is literally on the top of a hill ugh. But I guess I should exercise a bit more.

Tufts:
Pros:
I have never really visited Boston. But I am from a very very big city so I guess Boston would have a similar vibe.
The interview experience was just as great as the one at UPitt. The icebreaker was hilarious. (I also really like the fellow applicants I met there lol) I really enjoyed talking to the students there. I learned that there is a club that helps you get experience doing implants on real patients with professors and speakers helping you. I know that not a lot of schools would let you do implants on real patients so that would be helpful! I don't know if UPitt have similar opportunities but please let me know if you know more about this.
Next to Chinatown so the food will be 10/10!
I would say the building looks newer if I remembered it right... But tbh I don't care too much about that.

Cons:
Tuition is definitely more expensive for Tufts and also the cost of living in Boston... My family said it shouldn't be a big issue but I still feel bad to make them pay more if I can get similar education somewhere else.
I don't know anyone at Tufts so if anyone here goes to Tufts can I dm you???
I didn't get to talk to instructors bc my interviewer wasn't one. But they seem nice!
Not sure if you will fight with other schools for patients? So many good schools in Boston wow.

I am generally leaning toward U Pitt tbh but just couldn't let go of Tufts, so I guess I should probably think about it a bit more.

Thanks for your time to read all this!

Members don't see this ad.

I am also accepted by Case Western, UDM, and USC in California. If you think any of these would be better than the two above, plz let me know too!

I would personally pick Tufts if I was OOS for both! The facility is brand new and unmatched! Also, Boston is sooo much more exciting than Pittsburgh. I know of students at Pitt and they have told me that the area isn't very good, but it's just their opinion.

The doctor that I work for went to Tufts for dental school and he has told me that he experience at Tufts was unbelieveable. He currently owns a practice in a big city and is doing very well. He has only been out for 4/5 years. Networking at Tufts is incredible as they have alumnus everywhere! They talked about it at their interview of how they have a portal where you can connect with alumnus. This is incredibly helpful after you graduate and start your job search. As for Pitt, there is definitely networking but not as vast as Tufts. If you plan on working in Pitt, then going to Pitt would be a plus, but if you plan to work elsewhere, I would go with Tufts.

I interviewed at both and the students I spoke to at Pitt didn't seem as happy. One went as far as to tell us that she wasn't happy at all her first year and was going to transfer. I got a completely different experience talking to the students at Tufts. Everyone seemed very happy! I feel like this is a reflection of the school, but it really depends on each person's own experience. Regardless, it really depends on what you're looking for and the experience you make out of it. Best of luck with your decision!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pitt has its own implant center, which is unique. Not sure if Tufts has one... but yeah, that hill is ROUGH.

I had a surprisingly great experience interviewing at Pitt last cycle (I sort of applied there on a whim, I had never even heard of the school until I applied there); I even considered going there after never having visited Pittsburgh until the interview. Although, the city seems a bit...unexciting, I DID get good vibes from the dental school itself.

I can't personally speak for Tufts since I didn't interview there, but I have plenty of friends who go there, and they seem to love the school and the area. The facilities are also brand new there.

If cost is a factor in your decision, I'd say go for Pitt. Boston is an unreasonably expensive place to live, and I'm sure there are lots of fun things to do in Pittsburgh, just gotta explore around :) If cost is not really an issue, go where you can see yourself for the next four years. It's a tough decision, but things like location, proximity to family, etc can really have a impact on your mental health, which you will want to keep intact.

Reactions: 1 user
I would personally pick Tufts if I was OOS for both! The facility is brand new and unmatched! Also, Boston is sooo much more exciting than Pittsburgh. I know of students at Pitt and they have told me that the area isn't very good, but it's just their opinion.

The doctor that I work for went to Tufts for dental school and he has told me that he experience at Tufts was unbelieveable. He currently owns a practice in a big city and is doing very well. He has only been out for 4/5 years. Networking at Tufts is incredible as they have alumnus everywhere! They talked about it at their interview of how they have a portal where you can connect with alumnus. This is incredibly helpful after you graduate and start your job search. As for Pitt, there is definitely networking but not as vast as Tufts. If you plan on working in Pitt, then going to Pitt would be a plus, but if you plan to work elsewhere, I would go with Tufts.

I interviewed at both and the students I spoke to at Pitt didn't seem as happy. One went as far as to tell us that she wasn't happy at all her first year and was going to transfer. I got a completely difference experience talking to the students at Tufts. Everyone seemed very happy! I feel like this is a reflection of the school, but it really depends on each person's own experience. Regardless, it really depends on what you're looking for and the experience you make out of it. Best of luck with your decision!
Thanks for such a long reply wow! Yea i definitely forgot to consider the networking part... thanks for reminding me! I really don't know where i'm gonna work yet but I will keep that in mind!

Tbh i also got the same feeling that UPitt students were not as happy. But I talked to them about it and they said UPitt's first year is just notoriously bad lol since they packed too much stuff into the first year. But since the board is changing i bet their curriculum is gonna change too!

Anyhow, thanks for your advice!

Pitt has its own implant center, which is unique. Not sure if Tufts has one... but yeah, that hill is ROUGH.

I had a surprisingly great experience interviewing at Pitt last cycle (I sort of applied there on a whim, I had never even heard of the school until I applied there); I even considered going there after never having visited Pittsburgh until the interview. Although, the city seems a bit...unexciting, I DID get good vibes from the dental school itself.

I can't personally speak for Tufts since I didn't interview there, but I have plenty of friends who go there, and they seem to love the school and the area. The facilities are also brand new there.

If cost is a factor in your decision, I'd say go for Pitt. Boston is an unreasonably expensive place to live, and I'm sure there are lots of fun things to do in Pittsburgh, just gotta explore around :) If cost is not really an issue, go where you can see yourself for the next four years. It's a tough decision, but things like location, proximity to family, etc can really have a impact on your mental health, which you will want to keep intact.
Thanks for your suggestions!!! I didn't know UPitt has an implant center wow that's kinda cool.
I was wearing a really skinny skirt when I went to my interview so yea that hill wrecked me... but overall that interview was a big surprise for me too!

Have your friend ever talked about the clinical training at Tufts? Like do they feel prepared after 4 years? Sorry for all the questions... just trying to know more about this school haha

Thanks for your suggestions!!! I didn't know UPitt has an implant center wow that's kinda cool.
I was wearing a really skinny skirt when I went to my interview so yea that hill wrecked me... but overall that interview was a big surprise for me too!

Have your friend ever talked about the clinical training at Tufts? Like do they feel prepared after 4 years? Sorry for all the questions... just trying to know more about this school haha

I tripped up the hill when it was all icy and I was wearing heels...not my finest hour. Wore flats for the rest of my interviews lol

I haven't heard too much about the clinical training, I'm sorry :( and I totally understand, bombarding us with questions is a good thing. This is a big decision!! I hope you get the answers you are looking for..

Interviewed at both and I would definitely attend Pittsburgh over Tufts. I think both schools are great programs but what turned me off at tufts was when a D3 told me that you might have to give your patient up to an upperclassman if they need that case for a graduation requirement. I know some Schools that do this as well, and I understand why. But at the same time I think that it’s largely due to their class size.

Pitt has 80 students, Tufts has 200. Tufts had newer facilities, but I don’t think it’s worth the extra $$$ that you’re gonna pay. Also, Boston is wayyyy more expensive than Pittsburgh. Also, Pittsburgh told us about 60% of their students specialize (number includes GPR). Tufts is a great program, but I personally enjoyed Pittsburgh more. I also thought that the students there were happier than at tufts. And someone mentioned that Tufts has great networking opportunities, this is not worth the extra $$. You can network alone, you don’t need a school for networking. Is it helpful? Sure. Is it worth the extra cash? No.

In my opinion, everything is expensive for Tufts in terms of tuition and living cost. Thus, my personal opinion is go to Pitts if I were you. Of course, you may favorite Turfs over Pitts based on something else.