International volunteering opportunities for Anesthesiologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffeebythelake

I'm not a word-mincer
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone did one of these before? I have a couple months off from Sept to November of this year, and was looking into doing something. Is this time frame too short?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been in Kenya with World Medical Mission. It's a Christian organization. Extremely well run and organized. Franklin Graham runs it as branch of Samaritan's Purse. Short term missions needing help all over the world. This will change your outlook and you'll gain some new friends.

Reactions: 1 user

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Not really mission work per se, but I came across it in outside magazine and it looks really interesting. Essentially providing medical support for expeditions and extreme endurance events around the world.

Reactions: 1 users
I would strongly recommend the ASA/ CASIEF. They usually send American/Canadian attendings and residents to low income countries to teach anesthesia for a month or so.

Not really mission work per se, but I came across it in outside magazine and it looks really interesting. Essentially providing medical support for expeditions and extreme endurance events around the world.

Looks amazing, but unfortunately:
"Unfortunately, the legalities of both us working in North America and of American and Canadian colleagues joining our team are so convoluted, complex and difficult that we are unable to invite those professionals who are registered, working or living in the United States of America and Canada to join our teams. We are sorry about this, but it is to protect everyone involved. We suggest that if wilderness medicine is for you, you take advantage of the growing wilderness phenomenon taking place across North America. A great place to start is at the Wilderness Medicine Society for educational resources and global adventures. We hope that the situation changes in future, and we are monitoring it from this side of the pond."

2 months? how in the hell do you get 2 whole months off? semi-retired?? I only get a week at a time.