International volunteering opportunities for career changers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldie2828

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently work in public radio, but have harbored dreams of practicing medicine abroad. I want to get a taste of what that type of work will be like, so I'm looking for international volunteering opportunities that are credible and provide lots of clinical observation. I've looked in to Child Family Health International, which looks promising because I may be able to garner a scholarship. Has anyone done that program? I'm looking for a short to long term program that begins in September 2008 (anywhere from 2 months to 6 months).

Best,
Scott

Members don't see this ad.

I did a Child Family Health International program in Bolivia... It was a great program and I got to work directly with doctors in a few hospitals around La Paz. It was very hands on and definitely gave me a first hand look into practicing medicine in the developing world. I would highly recommend it. I only went for a month, but I'm pretty sure they have two month programs as well. Good luck!