International work as a PA/NP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eccles1214

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What can PAs or NPs do outside the U.S.? I have been volunteering in rural international health work for several years, and I did U.S.-based homeless social work and health promotion for many years. I would like to be able to run and work in rural refugee-type global health situations in Africa and Asia, both as a practitioner and in policy-related public health work (i.e. work for the WHO or Medicins san Frontieres, etc.). I thought about applying to medical school, but my premed classes are way out of date, some of the grades are mediocre, and I'm older (almost 42). I don't think I would get into any med school, even an osteopathic one -- so I have started thinking about PA or NP.

Is PA/NP just a U.S. phenomenon? Can mid-levels practice outside of the U.S.? Would I be taken seriously as a mid-level if I wanted to start and run clinics? What about consultancy or administration work for the WHO or other health agencies?

Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

eccles1214 said:
What can PAs or NPs do outside the U.S.? I have been volunteering in rural international health work for several years, and I did U.S.-based homeless social work and health promotion for many years. I would like to be able to run and work in rural refugee-type global health situations in Africa and Asia, both as a practitioner and in policy-related public health work (i.e. work for the WHO or Medicins san Frontieres, etc.). I thought about applying to medical school, but my premed classes are way out of date, some of the grades are mediocre, and I'm older (almost 42). I don't think I would get into any med school, even an osteopathic one -- so I have started thinking about PA or NP.

Is PA/NP just a U.S. phenomenon? Can mid-levels practice outside of the U.S.? Would I be taken seriously as a mid-level if I wanted to start and run clinics? What about consultancy or administration work for the WHO or other health agencies?

Any ideas?

I probably won't be a great deal of help, but I can tell you PA's don't exist in Australia.

NP's do, but are still a relatively new profession here; I'm not sure we'd have an equivalency test for them. At best you could probably work as a senior clinical nurse. As with everywhere else, we are short on nurses so finding work wouldn't be too hard.

To the OP:

PAs do practice outside of the US. Here is a website that has info on international work for PAs:

International PA Development

Take care. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
eccles1214 said:

Any ideas?
Hi eccles1214!
Yes, you will get into US med, and most definitely D.O schools, if you have prereqs/qualifications, and the desire to do so. There are students in almost every class in their 50s. Good for them. Just go on State Department's website (google them). There are plenty of opportunities for MD/DO and PA/NP internationally, meaning working abroad for U.S. interests. Also check with Red Cross. There are many,many options out there. Just decide what route to take. But if being doctor is what you treally want, do not take short cuts. Go for it.

Good Luck

From what I have seen, RN's/NP's have much more recognition outside of the United States. I am not quite sure why this is. Although I have worked with many more PA's than NP's, and thus it is an unfair comparison, I suppose I have a preference for the PA model. Anyway, I have met international nurses (Most working in Africa) that do a wonderful job in the third world, especially in community health.

Doctors without borders accepts RN volunteers, but not PA's or paramedics (They will consider PA's with international experience for administrative roles). A bit skewed in my opinion, but they feel that the mid level provider position will be filled with people indigenous to the country. Years ago I considered PA. But for many reasons, one being the lack of international recognition, it simply was not a viable option. Currently I study imedicine in a program that focuses on international medicine (Ben Gurion/Columbia program). I do have people your age in my medical school (I am 34 myself), so, it is possible. Just consider what goals are, and what you are willing to sacrifice in order to achieve them. If you have a strong interest in international health, and decide on being a physician, perhaps you could check into our program.

Best of luck...

I was told by a physician in Jamaica that NPs are very instrumental in providing healthcare there, but not PAs. I suppose it depends on where you are interested in working.

PA's are not used in the Canadian system (at least I have had no experience with them). NP's are new here, but their field is expanding rapidly and into all areas of health care. NP's are also in the British medical system.

jaylily said:
PA's are not used in the Canadian system (at least I have had no experience with them). NP's are new here, but their field is expanding rapidly and into all areas of health care. NP's are also in the British medical system.

There is a PA program at the Canadian Forces Medical Services School Borden, in Ontario, Canada. It has been formally accredited by the Canadian Medical Association.

The PA profession is also currently undergoing a rapid expansion in England. PAs have been practicing there for the past couple of years.

Anyone interested in reading more about it can read this article:
The Globalization of PA Education

The countries mentioned in the article for current and future practice areas:
South Africa
Papua New Guinea
China
Great Britain
Canada
Netherlands
Sweden
Taiwan

Take care.
Monica, PA-C

You might be interested in this book: "The Medic's Guide to Work and Electives Around the World" by Mark Wilson "for doctors, nurses and other health professionals" ISBN 0-340-810513 It's pretty detailed. DrBlaze, how is Aussie land? According to this book, Australia has an impressive public health system. You guys like to have a school teacher and future FNP team? :D