Internet and magazine advertising by DOs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I come onto SDN, I can't help notice the banners on the top advertising St. James school of medicine and AUC.

I know advertising by DOs has been talked about before but only really in TV advertising. What do you guys think if DO schools advertised on internet sites such as SDN or in magazines of various sorts, much like caribbean schools do?

Members don't see this ad.

There are some ads for DOs out there in magazines already. They're probably just not in magazines that you or I would normally read. I agree that DOs need more representation in the media to increase awareness.

Originally posted by Slickness
As I come onto SDN, I can't help notice the banners on the top advertising St. James school of medicine and AUC.

I know advertising by DOs has been talked about before but only really in TV advertising. What do you guys think if DO schools advertised on internet sites such as SDN or in magazines of various sorts, much like caribbean schools do?

Good idea.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that advertising the profession might be useful, but I don't think any DO schools are suffering from a lack of applicants. I don't believe that advertisement will increase the quality of applicants either. Just my opinion.

Originally posted by Slickness
What do you guys think if DO schools advertised on internet sites such as SDN or in magazines of various sorts, much like caribbean schools do?
I'm with DORoe on this one. To me, the advertising of any school cheapens the degree they offer. When i think of the 'advertisement of education', I think of community college radio jingles, online distance learning degree pop-ups, and the rumored podiatry school acceptance letters (to med school applicants that didn't even know podiatry existed).

I'm sure all of these programs have produced successful individuals, but still... when was the last time you saw a banner ad for a reputable U.S. terminal degree?

I think getting the word out about the profession as a whole is a good thing, but for some reason the advertisement of schools has always sketched me out. :(

Originally posted by Buster Douglas
I'm with DORoe on this one. To me, the advertising of any school cheapens the degree they offer. When i think of the 'advertisement of education', I think of community college radio jingles, online distance learning degree pop-ups, and the rumored podiatry school acceptance letters (to med school applicants that didn't even know podiatry existed).

I'm sure all of these programs have produced successful individuals, but still... when was the last time you saw a banner ad for a reputable U.S. terminal degree?

I think getting the word out about the profession as a whole is a good thing, but for some reason the advertisement of schools has always sketched me out. :(
Yea I partially agree. When I see the St. James school of medicine banner ad on SDN, it makes me wonder why they have to advertise.

Of course the reason that comes to mind is that they are lacking applicants and need more people to apply. DO schools don't need that.

However, I would say ads in magazines that explain what DOs are would be helpful.

However, I would say ads in magazines that explain what DOs are would be helpful.

I agree with this as long as it is a professional tasteful ad in a magazine that is reputable. I think that common magazines found in dentists offices, doctors offices, and the like would be a good way to get the word out. I'm talking magazines such as Time, Newsweek, and US News and World Report. An ad that explains the profession and what we do could be productive.

As I said on another post medical schools advertising is cheesy. An MD school that is near here advertises on television and it seems wrong somehow.

Originally posted by Buster Douglas

Disagree. I saw ad for NYU and Columbia on NYtimes.com. Ad is a marketing stratgy and has nothing to do with the value of your diploma.

An interesting trend that I've noticed at my school is advertisement in the guise of community education. They've offered a 6wk, 6 session "mini-medical school" course to the public, where some faculty members discuss the leading health concerns, new treatment modalities, etc. Apparently, enrollment has exceeded their expectations. One of the clubs on campus just put together a committee to survey patients at various clinics about any questions, concerns, or curiosities they might have, and then somebody will do a presentation on that topic that will be aired on one of the local news stations. It's a good way to get the word out about our school and DO's without dealing with any tackiness in using straight advertisements or commercials.

Originally posted by luckystar
An interesting trend that I've noticed at my school is advertisement in the guise of community education. They've offered a 6wk, 6 session "mini-medical school" course to the public, where some faculty members discuss the leading health concerns, new treatment modalities, etc. Apparently, enrollment has exceeded their expectations.

We do the same thing. Seems to be a good means of outreach to the community.

Originally posted by DORoe

As I said on another post medical schools advertising is cheesy. An MD school that is near here advertises on television and it seems wrong somehow.

I've seen that commercial. Its not a commercial about the medical school, its a commercial about the medical center.

There's a huge difference.

Advertising new services to bring in patients is nothing new. Most major urban hospitals do that.

I've never seen a commercial on TV for a medical SCHOOL, as in trying to get new applicants. That just doenst happen.

No that commercial that I am refering to is not for a medical center it is promoting the school and its graduates. There is no medical center baring the name of that particular school that I am aware of. It has associated hospitals whose names are never mentioned in the ad. The ad (as I have just saw it on television again) ends with "What if everyone had a x doctor" It never mentions anything about any of the associated hospitals or any medical centers that the school owns (as they don't own any).