Interns and Beards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catfish2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting my IM residency in June. I am experimenting with a new look...hair cut very short plus a beard. I hate shaving (don't we all); and, I was thinking that with my new intense work schedule, going with stubble or a beard would make sense. Which brings me to my question...

Is a beard an okay look for a resident? Is it professional?

Am I crazy for being concerned with this?

Members don't see this ad.

I've done the beard thing off and on. Buy some clippers and keep it short and tight and no one will care.

But don't grow it until after you've done your N-95 mask fit test at orientation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't be fit tested with a beard. (I have to wear a PAPR ). I have had a long, unruly, looks like I'm homeless, beard since med school. As an attending I try to keep it neat.

Can't be fit tested with a beard. (I have to wear a PAPR ). I have had a long, unruly, looks like I'm homeless, beard since med school. As an attending I try to keep it neat.

If your avatar is the same as how you look, that would NOT LOOK PRETTY.

Catfish, you can't be scared to rock that beard. Wear it with pride!

During football season, maybe you can even dye it purple and gold to drown out all that green and white that you'll be surrounded by!