Internship AFTER applying to MD schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gabbythepremed9999

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I've been recently offered an internship for next summer (2021), however, I apply to medical school in late May (yes, I'm applying as soon as I can). The internship starts in June and it lasts 7 weeks. I graduate in December 2021.

What should I do in this case? Should I add it to the experiences' sections even though I'm only starting it after I apply?

and If I do, what should I put on the description? I mean it's hard to describe an experience without actually doing it lol

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!

I've been recently offered an internship for next summer (2021), however, I apply to medical school in late May (yes, I'm applying as soon as I can). The internship starts in June and it lasts 7 weeks. I graduate in December 2021.

What should I do in this case? Should I add it to the experiences' sections even though I'm only starting it after I apply?

and If I do, what should I put on the description? I mean it's hard to describe an experience without actually doing it lol
Does your internship starts on June 1st? You don't need to submit application on very first day. You can wait for few days and add the internship.

Does your internship starts on June 1st? You don't need to submit application on very first day. You can wait for few days and add the internship.
This^^^^^^. When they chime in, the wise adcoms will ask if you want to be early or you want to be good, and will advise you not to give in the SDN premed delusion that you have to be in the minute applications open in order to have the best shot. On time is before Labor Day, not Memorial Day! :cool:

Now, I'm not an adcom, expect to apply next cycle, and fully expect to submit as soon as I can, but I will not be relying on experiences that I have not yet begun. Your choice is really no choice at all. You'll either submit at the end of May with an expected experience that has not yet begun, or you will wait a month so you can have something meaningful to talk about in your application. Regardless, what you will be doing between December and May will likely have a greater impact on your application, positive or negative, than seven weeks next June and July.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya if you haven’t started it I wouldn’t include it in your app

Might you tack mention of your acceptance to the internship onto the end of another similar experience description, or whichever one inspired you to apply for the internship? If it's not in its own space, you won't need to say much (if anything) about mission, role, impact, etc.