Internship At A Family Health Clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jon Davis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been given an opportunity to become an intern at a clinic. There is a pharmacy, a lab, family doctors, etc. What experiences would help me gain the most insight into medicine? What should I ask to do as an intern to maximize this opportunity? What will medical schools want to see me experience in a setting like this?
Thanks in advance. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

As you'll be an intern there, I'm pretty sure you won't have to ask to get the exposure you're looking for. In getting medical experience it's often what you make of it. I volunteered in a free clinic, and some (like me) worked solely with the patients while others just hung out in the pharmacy room and counted pills. It seemed like they were just putting in the time so they could put it on their application.

If they give you the option, I'd just ask to see as many different cases as you can and try to get as much patient interaction as you can. Personally, I've helped dig out things from people's ears and observed external hemorrhoid surgery. :eek: You should have the opportunity to see and experience a lot.

As for what schools look for, at least as far as I experienced, is that you see different aspects of the occupation. I picked out three or four individual experiences that really stuck out for me, and that's what I talked about during my interviews.

Good luck, and enjoy the experience.