Internship Expectations in San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TAbrown

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have completed a 1 year internship in San Diego, how was it? What were the expectations, what was call schedule like, how were attendings, etc.?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

For those who have completed a 1 year internship in San Diego, how was it? What were the expectations, what was call schedule like, how were attendings, etc.?

Thanks

It totally depends on your program. Some are harder than others. Some have attendings that are nicer than others. They all have different expectations.

That question doesn't make any sense without commenting on what specialty. That's like saying "If I do my internship in Chicago, how will my call schedule be?"

I was under the impression that you do not apply to the residency program until your intern year: do you apply to the program of interest during your 4th year of medical school? (I'm interested in radiology, do I apply 4th year?)

Clarify please

Members don't see this ad :)
I was under the impression that you do not apply to the residency program until your intern year: do you apply to the program of interest during your 4th year of medical school? (I'm interested in radiology, do I apply 4th year?)

Clarify please

You apply to a specific intern program, here are a list of the positions available:

http://nshs.med.navy.mil/gme/GME1CHT.HTM

And you need to read more about them here:

http://nshs.med.navy.mil/gme/NAVMEDGME.htm#NAVY INSERVICE GME-1

Clarify please

For radiology, you can do any internship. I'd recommend staying away from FP (not at hospitals with Rads residencies) and surgery internships (not enough electives). You probably want a transitional year. You have the best chance of getting your location of choice with IM but you'd better like medicine to choose that.

Many days did I regret being in medicine at all. Never did I regret being a transitional intern at Balboa. Especially when talking to my fellow IM, surg or peds interns.
I did two wards months, one MICU, one CCU, one OB/gyn and one trauma month. That was it for the real call. Psych and ortho had call, but it wasn't demanding. Three electives, outpatient peds and one ER rounded out the year. No cross-coverage. I did continuity clinic, which I actually liked- but it was FP clinic, not IM and that's something to look out for. I hope this helps, and keep in mind it's several years out of date. I have no idea what they're doing now.
If you wind up with IM or GS, may God have mercy on your soul.

Many days did I regret being in medicine at all. Never did I regret being a transitional intern at Balboa. Especially when talking to my fellow IM, surg or peds interns.
I did two wards months, one MICU, one CCU, one OB/gyn and one trauma month. That was it for the real call. Psych and ortho had call, but it wasn't demanding. Three electives, outpatient peds and one ER rounded out the year. No cross-coverage. I did continuity clinic, which I actually liked- but it was FP clinic, not IM and that's something to look out for. I hope this helps, and keep in mind it's several years out of date. I have no idea what they're doing now.
If you wind up with IM or GS, may God have mercy on your soul.

It's similar now.

How difficult is it to get a transitional year spot?

How difficult is it to get a transitional year spot?

Harder than an IM or surgery spot. Understand that transitional positions are very appealing to people who are aiming for dermatology, radiology, anesthesia, ER, and a few other specialties that tend toward the competitive side in the military. Not many people "back into" a TY, and San Diego is clearly the most sought-after location.

But if you have the numbers to be a reasonable radiology candidate, you ought to have no trouble landing a TY. In any case, there are quite a few TY spots available at the big 3, so I'd speculate that you probably don't need much more than average numbers to find one.

Harder than an IM or surgery spot. Understand that transitional positions are very appealing to people who are aiming for dermatology, radiology, anesthesia, ER, and a few other specialties that tend toward the competitive side in the military. Not many people "back into" a TY, and San Diego is clearly the most sought-after location.

But if you have the numbers to be a reasonable radiology candidate, you ought to have no trouble landing a TY. In any case, there are quite a few TY spots available at the big 3, so I'd speculate that you probably don't need much more than average numbers to find one.

TY is consistently the toughest internship to get (after maybe Peds, believe it or not). San Diego is the most popular location.

If all you care about is location, you might want to go with IM. If that turns your stomach, then take your chances.