Internship Hours Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zebrafeet

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm currently working at an APA-accredited site where we are doing mostly remote telehealth services, and some in-person services. I have plenty of hours to count, but our site only allows us to formally count/log 44 hours per week of work. We have asked about counting more to reflect work done, mainly for purposes of licensing (we are on a stipend, not paid hourly). Is this ethical and/or legal for them to cap how much we can count (but not how much we work)? If not, what are the appropriate channels to go through to advocate for a change? I was thinking of emailing Dr. Greg Keilin who supports the match process, but that feels like maybe I'm missing some intermediary steps before reaching that level?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Most licensing boards don't allow you to count more than 40 hours per week. Why do you want to count more?

Reactions: 1 users
The only things that matter in terms of hours are FT work hours. 2080 for a full year if I recall. Doesn't matter if you actually work 40 or 60, your work week is still your work week.Face to face pt contact hours are important, need something like 25% of your time. And you need your supervision hours. I'm not sure what exactly you are counting besides this, or why it matters.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your responses! I was thinking that it would be helpful to accrue hours more quickly to be eligible for licensure. I realize now I did not mention that I'm on internship in the original post... I didn't realize we could only count 40 hours per work week for licensure. Again, I appreciate the guidance!

Thanks for your responses! I was thinking that it would be helpful to accrue hours more quickly to be eligible for licensure. I realize now I did not mention that I'm on internship in the original post... I didn't realize we could only count 40 hours per work week for licensure. Again, I appreciate the guidance!
It can definitely be confusing--as others have said, states typically limit the number of pre-doctoral practice/training hours you can "count" toward licensing reqs. Typically the wording is something like, "applicant must have completed 3500 hours of supervised practice, of which up to 1750 hours could have occurred during a predoctoral internship program."

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, state boards cap the amount of hours you can count toward licensure. In my state, about 1,000 predoctoral hours+ didn’t matter to the board because they capped the total number of predoctoral hours at 1500, then 1500 had to be postdoctoral.

It doesn’t matter if you get over 2,000 hours on internship if your state board will only count a portion of your entire predoctoral hours anyway. I’d say look up your state’s requirements about hours and then don’t worry about it!

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you all so much for your responses! This was super helpful =)