Internship? Housemanship? Extenship? Observership?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

garyjain

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this question has already been answered, but I tried some searches here and couldn't find anything. My brother has completed 4.5 years of medical college in Mumbai and is now doing his compulsory internship. Is there any way to substitute this internship in America? I tried doing some research and I came across the terms, Housemanship, Extenship, and Observership, but I don't know if these are the same things as the Internship. I thought I found some info on Internship at ECFMG, in the Fifth Pathway Program, but he did not go to college here. Any ideas? Thanks.

P.S.
I decided to go to medical college here, and I am currently doing my undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

If I understand what you're asking...he would have to go through the US match if he wants to do any postgraduate work in the US. Does he want to do one year in the US, then go back to India? Either way he will have to do match (has he taken step 1 and/or step 2?), as an IMG his chances are pretty low unless he's interested in a non competetive field...and if he wants to just do R1 I'd say his chances are a little less than zero.

He is not at that point yet, he still has to do a one year rotating internship in Inida before he is able to start residency. I was wondering what the equivalency of that "internship" is in America and if there was a way to substitute it here. He is planning to do residency and practice here in the States. He will be taking the USMLE boards this year so that he can try to start residency next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm...sorry, not sure, but I think once he finishes school there and takes the step 1 he can apply to match here...I don't know if he has to do the internship in India or not, if he does and then takes step 1 he should be set to apply to the US match as an IMG. There isn't such a thing as internships in the US, residencies for things like IM last for 3 years, followed by a fellowship if you want a IM subspecialty. Some programs have a transitional year or a preliminary year, where basically you do a year in say general surgury before going into a specialty like neurosurg. Does he know what he wants to practice in? Residency works differently depending on what you are going into. Until he gets his Step 1 score he can't really even guess at whats possible...

i have know people who do substitute their 1 year in india for the us. i recommend it as well to get us lors. however if does his one year in india he can still do rotations in the us. however he should apply for them before he gets his diploma as some places only take students. some places possibly take u only after the usmle and u have graduated. go to some other forums like prep4usmle and usmleforum and ask around. also ur bro will need permision from his college in india as they will award him his degree after his 1 year and they have to accept the 1 year in america.

I don't know if this question has already been answered, but I tried some searches here and couldn't find anything. My brother has completed 4.5 years of medical college in Mumbai and is now doing his compulsory internship. Is there any way to substitute this internship in America? I tried doing some research and I came across the terms, Housemanship, Extenship, and Observership, but I don't know if these are the same things as the Internship. I thought I found some info on Internship at ECFMG, in the Fifth Pathway Program, but he did not go to college here. Any ideas? Thanks.

P.S.
I decided to go to medical college here, and I am currently doing my undergrad.

didnt read ur P.S. good choice of staying america. u will realize is once ur bro is applying for residency. anyhow make sure he passes his usmle on the first shot.

i have know people who do substitute their 1 year in india for the us.

Thanks everyone for the information.

sga430, can you provide some information on how those people were able to substiture thier 1 year in India here in the US?

I think he is planning on doing Family Practice or some other low competition field. Since he just finished his 4.5 years of study a couple of months ago, he is taking it easy right now. He is planning to take a Kaplan prep course and take the USMLE Step 1 probably by next Feburary. I am hoping that he will be ECFMG certified by the end of next June so that he can apply for residency in July.

Before he does anything over here he will have to take and pass his usmle step 1, its a prereq for applying to the US programs, and it will determine if he is even allowed to practice here.