Internship in a medical technology company (making antibodies)?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaikai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got a chance to do an internship in a medical technology company (Pharmingen) for the summer...Would it help my extracurricular experiences when applying to medical school? Or am I supposed to do it like most ppl do -- go shadowing a doctor/clinical internship ..etc..

also, I can also work in a pretty good research lab in UCSD(volunteering..no money) for the summer...If it's you, what would you choose?

I'm currently a sophmore...~

PLEASE HELP!!!
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad.

If I were on a medical school admissions committee, which I am not, I would wonder whether you want to be a medical technologist or a physician treating patients. Do you want to find out whether or not you have the personal skills to be a medical technologist or a physician?
The question about what to do for the summer should answer itself.

Hey some people have to make money during the summer. I would try to see if I could work at Pharmigen (they better send me my AB's soon!)and do volunteer work also. Hopefully you'll have time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go for the internship and fit in volunteer work when you can.. Med schools like to see unique experiences, and I would say this definitely qualifies. Almost all applicants have some clinical experience (and it is important to do this), but a paid internship that could help you to stand out is too good to pass up.

Just a question: I never volunteered in a hospital, and having now been the low man on the totem pole (as a med student) for the past two years on the wards, could someone please tell me what a volunteer DOES in the hospital? I always thought I was the lowest on the totem pole you could get.

------------------
Linie