1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Internship in a medical technology company (making antibodies)?!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kaikai, Jan 23, 2001.

1. kaikai

kaikai Member
    10+ Year Member

I recently got a chance to do an internship in a medical technology company (Pharmingen) for the summer...Would it help my extracurricular experiences when applying to medical school? Or am I supposed to do it like most ppl do -- go shadowing a doctor/clinical internship ..etc..

also, I can also work in a pretty good research lab in UCSD(volunteering..no money) for the summer...If it's you, what would you choose?

I'm currently a sophmore...~

PLEASE HELP!!! [​IMG]

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gower

gower 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

If I were on a medical school admissions committee, which I am not, I would wonder whether you want to be a medical technologist or a physician treating patients. Do you want to find out whether or not you have the personal skills to be a medical technologist or a physician?
    The question about what to do for the summer should answer itself.

4. Malftap

Malftap Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey some people have to make money during the summer. I would try to see if I could work at Pharmigen (they better send me my AB's soon!)and do volunteer work also. Hopefully you'll have time.

5. Go for the internship and fit in volunteer work when you can.. Med schools like to see unique experiences, and I would say this definitely qualifies. Almost all applicants have some clinical experience (and it is important to do this), but a paid internship that could help you to stand out is too good to pass up.

6. Linie

Linie Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Just a question: I never volunteered in a hospital, and having now been the low man on the totem pole (as a med student) for the past two years on the wards, could someone please tell me what a volunteer DOES in the hospital? I always thought I was the lowest on the totem pole you could get.

------------------
    Linie