Internship in Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dgre005

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a final year medical student from Malta and I m considering a move to Australia once I finish my studies in 2008. I m also in possession of Australian citizenship...would it be difficult to find an internship post and would I be able to choose my preferred city/state to work in? (The 'area of special needs' business is a bit wooly) Would it be better to gain a year's experience in Malta before considering such a move?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I'm a final year medical student from Malta and I m considering a move to Australia once I finish my studies in 2008. I m also in possession of Australian citizenship...would it be difficult to find an internship post and would I be able to choose my preferred city/state to work in? (The 'area of special needs' business is a bit wooly) Would it be better to gain a year's experience in Malta before considering such a move?

Any information would be much appreciated.

In Brief, depends.

Your citizenship will help, but strictly speaking is not a huge advantage. Also if you are looking at getting an internship in a competitive area (say RBH) that would probably be pretty difficult. However in a place like Royal Perth/Freemantle/Adelaide or other smaller hospitals in other states you shouldn't have a huge amount of trouble. I'd suggest emailing the schools directly (search for the Intern and Resident guide). Also if you want an internship in Townsville, I know for a fact they are looking for three intern positions there, as three of my classmates just turned them down quite late in the process.

In Brief, depends.

Your citizenship will help, but strictly speaking is not a huge advantage. Also if you are looking at getting an internship in a competitive area (say RBH) that would probably be pretty difficult. However in a place like Royal Perth/Freemantle/Adelaide or other smaller hospitals in other states you shouldn't have a huge amount of trouble. I'd suggest emailing the schools directly (search for the Intern and Resident guide). Also if you want an internship in Townsville, I know for a fact they are looking for three intern positions there, as three of my classmates just turned them down quite late in the process.[/quote]

Ok, thanks for the info, there is some hope after all...