internship in india?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

username1991

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
During next summer I'm planning to go to India for one or two months and do a medical internship there. I heard that it's a real eye-opener and you get to see/learn quite a lot in Indian hospitals compared to when we're shadowing doctors here. My question is, would it be worth it to spend my summer doing internship in India? Would it be a factor that would differentiate me from some of the other applicants? I can't decide whether to do this or just work in a lab. Any advices?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it will definitely set you apart, but dont look down on working in labs. If you commit enough time to research and get a couple of publications and get a good letter from your P.I. then that'll look good too. Do it because you want to learn about the type of care thats offered around the world and write about it in your personal statement maybe and show how this experience helped you grow. Either way, I think you should do it....you'll learn a lot.

I think it would be worth it if you have the time and money. I think that the trip will give greater perspective in the lives of individuals living in other countries and valuable clinical experiences. The trip would also allow you to see if being a physician is right for you, and if nothing else, it will be humbling.

As for how it looks on your application, I think it will make you stand out among other applicants, and it will help with schools who have a mission of training physicians who are interested in global health like Tulane and DMU.

This could be an awesome experience, depending on what you make of it. Try to get some research too, though. I didn't, and though I'm happy with how things turned out, my lack of research definitely hurt my application at some schools.