Internship in irish hospitals not attached to your university

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ozzierules

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI there!!

IM wondering if anyone could shed some light on a question of mine. IM an irish student currently beginning my final med year in ucc and am thinking about my internship. For personal and professional reasons i would like to intern in a dublin hospital. I know that usually you intern in a teaching hospital attached to your university but im wondering how you apply for internship posts outside of this? I know the majority of intern posts in dublin are filled by students in the dublin hospitals but that in the last few years there has been a few vacant spots, one of which im dying to fill next year!!!!!!

thanks everybody!!!!!:D:oops::cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I know that this is possible but pretty hard. A girl from my class was from Dublin and wanted to do her intern year back there. In the end I think she just gave up and did it in Cork. I think she said a spot was available but all the good spots are taken by all the Dublin grads and she was left to compete for the less desirable spots outside of the city with all the other EU applicants.

That's just anecdotal though - there's got to be other people who've had more luck I'm sure! Best of luck.

its hard to do but it happens if one of the university's internship spots don't fill, or if there is a trade. For instance, a couple years ago there were not enough trinity graduates to fill the trinity spots. so a couple people from UCD and i think one or two from UCC filled them. Also, very hard to do but I think one from my class wanted Cork, and it just happened that one of the UCC lot wanted Dublin so there was an even trade althouth i think it took a lot of sweet-talking and convincing to make it happen