Internship, Leave/Stay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rizetotheoccasion

Reaction score
Ok so this is a bit of an odd situation.

I'm a high school senior currently doing research -- and I loved my previous research position, but this new position with a new PI is absolutely killing me.
Context: I work there every Saturday for 8 hours a day and 4 hours on Friday nights after school [an unpaid position].
Now, this position has been awful for me as it's been a super toxic environment, but I feel like I still need this for college apps. I feel like I shouldn't have to put in work outside of my 12 hours/ week, especially since I'm currently in school & I'm unpaid. On top of that, he told me that I wouldn't be put on the paper publication if I don't put in at least 8 hours/week in addition to my current 12.
He's told me multiple times that I didn't have what it takes for medicine (since I wasn't dedicating time outside the lab) towards research and that I should switch to another career pathway. (He believes that although I have stellar academics, that I don't have the "drive" to pursue medicine :(

So I'm here seeking advice.
A. Should I seek a new preceptor & quit this internship
or option
B. Suck it up for a few more months, & stick it out until I'm done applying for college.

I'd really like to see some perspectives on this just because this entire thing is adding a whole load of stress in addition to a courseload of 7 AP courses.

Thank You in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

oh my god!!! DEFINITELY LEAVE!!!! immediately.
This place is toxic, you deserve better. you are in HIGH SCHOOL!!! focus on enjoying your life, maybe build up volunteering positions, and just enjoy yourself. You will publish later, - in college.

you deserve so much better than that. Quit, and never look back.

Reactions: 1 users
oh my god!!! DEFINITELY LEAVE!!!! immediately.
This place is toxic, you deserve better. you are in HIGH SCHOOL!!! focus on enjoying your life, maybe build up volunteering positions, and just enjoy yourself. You will publish later, - in college.

you deserve so much better than that. Quit, and never look back.
I'm leaning heavily in this direction, but what concerns me the most is my applications towards BS/MD programs may not be as strong without a publication on them.

Is this the norm for what research positions are usually or did I completely chose the wrong boomer doc (no hate, just that a lot of things he says are completely invalid now (he thinks that him calling a medical school will get me in/rejected :LOL:)

To further that, what concerns me is that if he thinks I'm not cut out for med school, won't the AO's think the same?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm leaning heavily in this direction, but what concerns me the most is my applications towards BS/MD programs may not be as strong without a publication on them.

Is this the norm for what research positions are usually or did I completely chose the wrong boomer doc (no hate, just that a lot of things he says are completely invalid now (he thinks that him calling a medical school will get me in/rejected :LOL:)
how many hours of research (total) do you have?

To further that, what concerns me is that if he thinks I'm not cut out for med school, won't the AO's think the same?
i have been in several places, and have known a lot of PIs, and i have NEVER seen anything like this. This is NOT normal

btw is he an MD?

i have been in several places, and have known a lot of PIs, and i have NEVER seen anything like this. This is NOT normal
btw is he an MD?
Yes he is an MD (1970's grad)

Well that's reassuring. I honestly should've listened to the other student researcher ( who quit a week after I started) so apparently, I'm not the first to have to deal with this.

I've got 800 hours + 1 poster.
thats enough! you are fine. Dont take me wrong, - of course publication would be better. But you are in HIGH SCHOOL, and this is amazing for a high school student. I had only 450 hours of research AFTER MY BACHELORS, and i got into 4 schools.
What concerns me is this, - he is already giving you so much hard time. There is no guarantee that even if you do EVERYTHING he says he will put you on the paper. NO GUARANTEE>
next, - you are starting last semester of highschool soon. You should be focusing on applications and having fun. Not spending 20 hours a week in a FREE LAB.

look into NIH summer research program, - you can do it next summer. I did it in college, but there we people from high school who did it too. they pay well, treat people with respect, you will have a lot of fun, you can spend summer in DC, and you will know by March/April if you are accepted, so you can put it in your update letter (if it is a thing for college). Regardless, there are a lot of paid opportunities, pursue though. Or find a lab with a better PI>

Yes he is an MD (1970's grad)

Well that's reassuring. I honestly should've listened to the other student researcher ( who quit a week after I started) so apparently, I'm not the first to have to deal with this.
leave and dont even look back. Trust me, one thing you learn over the years of situations like this one, is that you need to always prioritize your well-being. ALWAYS. you are the ONLY PERSON who will be with you your whole life. prioritize yourself, your well-being. Yes, work hard and compromise. But if you are put in the situation that makes you feel bad about yourself, leave and never look back!

He told you you don’t have what it takes to pursue medicine because you won’t dedicated 20 hrs/wk of unpaid time to his lab? Seems quite manipulative to me. Leave. Won’t make an ounce of difference for Med school admissions

Reactions: 2 users
thats enough! you are fine. Dont take me wrong, - of course publication would be better. But you are in HIGH SCHOOL, and this is amazing for a high school student. I had only 450 hours of research AFTER MY BACHELORS, and i got into 4 schools.
What concerns me is this, - he is already giving you so much hard time. There is no guarantee that even if you do EVERYTHING he says he will put you on the paper. NO GUARANTEE>
next, - you are starting last semester of highschool soon. You should be focusing on applications and having fun. Not spending 20 hours a week in a FREE LAB.

look into NIH summer research program, - you can do it next summer. I did it in college, but there we people from high school who did it too. they pay well, treat people with respect, you will have a lot of fun, you can spend summer in DC, and you will know by March/April if you are accepted, so you can put it in your update letter (if it is a thing for college). Regardless, there are a lot of paid opportunities, pursue though. Or find a lab with a better PI>
Thank you so much... I really needed that pick up.

I'll definitely be looking into the NIH summer research program.

In the meantime, I'll have to draft a letter that I'm leaving this, and I'll go back to my old lab (I loved the PI & Work environment it was just too far away, but I'd rather drive the extra 30 minutes for the learning opportunity)

I seriously do appreciate your advice! :)
Congrats on your four acceptances btw!

He told you you don’t have what it takes to pursue medicine because you won’t dedicated 20 hrs/wk of unpaid time to his lab? Seems quite manipulative to me. Leave. Won’t make an ounce of difference for Med school admissions
Yea he thinks that his letter of rec/him calling the med school will be the only way I get in, and he wants me to do 20hrs/week for that chance. I'm def leaving though, I need to prioritize my own well being.

Just more motivation to excel in school I guess :)

• Haha
Yea he thinks that his letter of rec/him calling the med school will be the only way I get in, and he wants me to do 20hrs/week for that chance. I'm def leaving though, I need to prioritize my own well being.

Just more motivation to excel in school I guess :)
Oh my god. This PI guy is just Bizarre. Another advice - if anyone ever manipulates you in any way or asks for anything in return to write you recommendation letter - run!
(I am NOT talking about “you’ve shadowed me for only 2 days, do a few more, which will allow me to get you kjow you a bit better and write a good letter”. ).

also - if the person doesn’t think you have what it takes to be a doctor , his letter will be bad or “ok” at best .

Lastly - people told me I’ll never graduate college - I did . Then they told me I’ll never get my masters - I did . Then they told me I’ll never join military and survive bootcamp. I did . Still friends with my drill sergeant and my commander. Then ppl told me I’ll never get a science degree - I did . Then they told me I’ll never get into medical school ... I got into 4.... so one thing I learned : when someone tells you that you are not good enough to accomplish a certain thing it’s for one of three reasons : 1) THEY failed at it and can’t stand the idea of you succeeding , 2) they are a jerk , 3) they know you have more potential than they ever will and it’s killing them .

Oh my god. This PI guy is just Bizarre. Another advice - if anyone ever manipulates you in any way or asks for anything in return to write you recommendation letter - run!
(I am NOT talking about “you’ve shadowed me for only 2 days, do a few more, which will allow me to get you kjow you a bit better and write a good letter”. ).

also - if the person doesn’t think you have what it takes to be a doctor , his letter will be bad or “ok” at best .

Lastly - people told me I’ll never graduate college - I did . Then they told me I’ll never get my masters - I did . Then they told me I’ll never join military and survive bootcamp. I did . Still friends with my drill sergeant and my commander. Then ppl told me I’ll never get a science degree - I did . Then they told me I’ll never get into medical school ... I got into 4.... so one thing I learned : when someone tells you that you are not good enough to accomplish a certain thing it’s for one of three reasons : 1) THEY failed at it and can’t stand the idea of you succeeding , 2) they are a jerk , 3) they know you have more potential than they ever will and it’s killing them .
He's more so acclimated to the process of the 1970s & the 80s. Now I realized why his clinic is the only one in the area always actively offering research positions :oops:.

Love to hear your story. What I've taken away from this experience is to not let them know that I can do it, but rather show them that I'm capable and then use it as motivation to prove them wrong :).

• Love