Internship Match-Rates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhitneyMS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got accepted into a program that does not have 100% match rates. I asked about this in the interview and the faculty stated that this is a national problem (which we know to be true) and that students who had not matched limited themselves geographically.

What are people's thoughts about this? The idea of 4 years of school then not matching on internship is a bit scary, but this explanation seems reasonable?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know of any program that has a 100% match rate right now. My own program typically has one to two students not match per year on average, and they are typically not even geographically limited. It is a national problem and you can read about it extensively on this forum (just search for "internship imbalance" or "internship crisis.")

Right now, only 50% of students match to APA-accredited internships.

I recently got accepted into a program that does not have 100% match rates. I asked about this in the interview and the faculty stated that this is a national problem (which we know to be true) and that students who had not matched limited themselves geographically.

What are people's thoughts about this? The idea of 4 years of school then not matching on internship is a bit scary, but this explanation seems reasonable?
A few questions about said program:

1) What is the actual match rate percentage over the past few years?

2) What is the size of each cohort?

3) What is the funding like?

4) Does the library have a separate address from where you sent your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Hi, please visit this link to see match rates: http://epsy.tamu.edu/articles/student_admissions__outcomes_and_other_data

2) The cohort is 8-10 typically.

3) Funding seems to vary, I think 2-3 receive fellowships but GA's are not guaranteed and is something you have to be active about getting yourself, especially first year. I think in-state tuition is relatively easy to get.

4) the library? please explain :)...I submitted online

A few questions about said program:

1) What is the actual match rate percentage over the past few years?

2) What is the size of each cohort?

3) What is the funding like?

4) Does the library have a separate address from where you sent your application?

1) Hi, please visit this link to see match rates: http://epsy.tamu.edu/articles/student_admissions__outcomes_and_other_data

2) The cohort is 8-10 typically.

3) Funding seems to vary, I think 2-3 receive fellowships but GA's are not guaranteed and is something you have to be active about getting yourself, especially first year. I think in-state tuition is relatively easy to get.

4) the library? please explain :)...I submitted online

It is a school psychology program? So that limits the options for internship. For example, our internship (VA hospital) would automatically reject a school psych applicant. The match rate is not terrible though, and as the other person stated, many good programs do not have 100% match rates every year. It only takes one student limiting themselves and not getting matched to drop that percentage a whole lot when your cohort in only 8.

The library question was to make sure we were not discussing a FSPS.

Texas a and m is a good program. Looks like they had a little trouble with matching in 2011 but overall, not bad.

Are you thinking of the clinical program? This is the school psych program.

Tell me more about this automatic rejection at VA's for school psychs?

And yes, I am referring to the school psych program, anyone know anything about its reputation? It seems to be heavy on the clinical end for a school psych.

It is a school psychology program? So that limits the options for internship. For example, our internship (VA hospital) would automatically reject a school psych applicant. The match rate is not terrible though, and as the other person stated, many good programs do not have 100% match rates every year. It only takes one student limiting themselves and not getting matched to drop that percentage a whole lot when your cohort in only 8.

The library question was to make sure we were not discussing a FSPS.

Yes, of course, that makes sense :) Blonde moment

Unfortunately, most people on here are less knowledgeable about school psych programs. In general its seems like a good program and A&M is a good name.

Also, is it common to go out after your 4th year?

Hi Whitney,

I'm in a school psych PhD program, and I can say that these match rates are definitely not a cause for concern, at least up front. In my program, we have a 100% match rate for students who choose to apply to APPIC sites, but not all students decide to go APPIC. For example, most APPIC sites aren't a great fit for students who are primarily interested in academic interventions, so those students will sometimes opt to do an internship at a local school site or research institute. If students are all applying to APPIC or APA internships and aren't getting them, that's a bit of a different story, but I'd say that it's less of a red flag than it would be for a clinical program due to the more restricted number of sites.

Texas A&M has Cecil Reynolds and Bruce Thompson, both excellent educational psychologists. The former created several neuropsychology tests out there and the latter can basically teach you to write out a factor analysis by hand. It's not a bad program at all.

Thanks you guys! This is really helping me, I am glad to hear good reviews :)

I honestly think that program reputation plays a good role. I only had two interviews, but one of them asked about my school and acknowledged the strong reputation of my program. Does not mean I will match, but nice to know that the people I interviewed with thought highly of my program. My program matches a little better than 80%, I believe.

Texas A&M has Cecil Reynolds and Bruce Thompson, both excellent educational psychologists. The former created several neuropsychology tests out there and the latter can basically teach you to write out a factor analysis by hand. It's not a bad program at all.

Actually, Dr. Reynolds retired a couple of years ago.

Actually, Dr. Reynolds retired a couple of years ago.

Huh, you may be right. I still see him at conferences so assumed he was still active. On a side note, I believe several of his students went on to be test developers themselves like Naglieri and Kaufman. Doesn't really affect new students but regardless, A&M is a great program.