PhD/PsyD Internship match: what are the odds of matching to top choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shop448

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether there are any stats out about odds of matching to your top choice on your rank list? Top 3, top 5, and so forth? I searched around but can't seem to find these numbers.
Thanks in advance and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know whether there are any stats out about odds of matching to your top choice on your rank list? Top 3, top 5, and so forth? I searched around but can't seem to find these numbers.
Thanks in advance and good luck!

I think that there are too many variables to consider when thinking about odds of matching with a particular rank on your list.
APPIC has a database of match statistics that they put out every year that may answer your question:

https://www.appic.org/Match/MatchStatistics/MatchStatistics2016PhaseI.aspx

If you scroll down to the bottom, it states that 73% of applicants last year matched to their first, second, or third choice.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 9.15.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 9.15.20 PM.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 117
Members don't see this ad :)
So about half match to their top choice? Interesting. I thought I was really fortunate when I got my top ranked site. Another example of why data is so important in this field.

So about half match to their top choice? Interesting. I thought I was really fortunate when I got my top ranked site. Another example of why data is so important in this field.

Well, keep in mind the data may have been slightly different for your year. Also, with the balance having been worse in previous years, ~50% of matched applicants (which were only ~75% of all applicants) is pretty fortunate. And if it helps you feel even spiffier, I matched to my second choice :)

Well, keep in mind the data may have been slightly different for your year. Also, with the balance having been worse in previous years, ~50% of matched applicants (which were only ~75% of all applicants) is pretty fortunate. And if it helps you feel even spiffier, I matched to my second choice :)
Now I feel better. :cool:
Honestly though, at the time with 75% APA match rates I was so glad just to match that it could have been to the APA-accredited internship program of Antartica and I would have been celebrating.
:soexcited:

I matched to my ninth spot so, although it isn't common, it can happen. I just want people to be prepared for it because I wasn't. I think I thought I'd match to my top five or not at all.

Reactions: 2 users