Internship or Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sassy86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd year DO student and have pretty much figured out I want to eventually enter into peds. However, I do want to end up practicing in Pennsylvania, so I know I need to do an internship year to be licensed in that state. What I am confused about is what my options are. If I do an internship year, I apply for that in the coming year. But, when do I apply for residency? How does that work? I know there are some programs with the built in internship/PGY1, but those are few and far between for the location I'd like to be in.

As you can tell, I'm incredibly lost on the topic. If anyone can shed some light on this situation, that'd be awesome.:)

Members don't see this ad.

Somebody can correct me since I'm only a second year but I thought you could apply to residency and internship years together.

I think you can still enter the match during your intern year but I thought that was for people who didn't know what they wanted to do OR for those who didn't match into a PGY-2 residency in their senior year. So in your case, you might as well apply for PGY-2 peds residencies this upcoming year.

Internship is just the term for the first year of residency. If you do an osteopathic pediatric residency it includes an internship year that Pennsylvania will automatically approve and you have no problems with licensure there or anywhere else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Confusing and complicated. I'll try to help.

Your goal is to become a pediatrician and practice (or at least licensed) in Pennsylvania.

Your options are

1. Do an osteopathic pediatric residency. Your OPGY1 year (intern year) will automatically satisfy Pennsylvania's requirement (AOA approved intern year). Total length - 3 years. If you take the boards, it's the American Osteopathic Board of Pediatrics.

2. Do a dually approved osteopathic/ACGME pediatric residency (your program is accredited both by the AOA and ACGME). Your PGY1 year should be automatically approved as an AOA intern year so you will satisfy Pennsylvania's requirement. Total length - 3 years. You have the option of taking the American Osteopathic Board of Pediatrics, or American Board of Pediatrics (or both).

3. Do a traditional osteopathic intern year and then apply for an ACGME pediatric residency. You apply for the peds residency during your intern year. You will have to repeat intern year (as a peds resident). Your traditional osteopathic intern year will fulfill Pennsylvania's requirement for licensure. Total length - 4 years (1 + 3). You will most likely take the American Board of Pediatrics (although you can petition to take the American Osteopathic Board of Pediatrics if you desire)

4. Do an ACGME pediatric residency and apply, via Resolution 42, for the AOA to approve your ACGME PGY1 (pediatric intern year). As of right now, with Resolution 42 approval, you will be able to obtain a Pennsylvania license (there was some talk about the PA State Board of Osteopathic Medicine not accepting Resolution 42 at some point in the future - but at this point, it's speculation so I do not know what will happen or if there is any change in the future). You have to fulfill the requirement to get Resolution 42 approved (usually require a medicine rotation). Total length - 3 years. You will most likely take the American Board of Pediatrics (although you can petition to take the American Osteopathic Board of Pediatrics if you desire). Future of Resolution 42 being accepted in Pennsylvania is unknown (but currently being accepted)

5. (not sure if this is really an option) Do a traditional osteopathic internship and apply for a separate OPGY2 position in an osteopathic pediatric residency (if there are spots available). Not sure how many credits will transfer over from your internship and how long it will take (or if it is even possible). Your osteopathic internship will enable you to get your pennsylvania license. Total length of time - 3-4 years. You take the American Osteopathic Board of Pediatrics.

Thank you, group_theory! That clears some of it up. I am thinking about options 1 and 2. How do I find out where those programs are? I have been on the AOA site and searched for DO residencies in peds and there are like 18 or 19 in the country. Where do I find a program that is dually accredited?

And another question...is the usmle necessary for peds primary care if I don't end up doing a DO residency?

Thank you, group_theory! That clears some of it up. I am thinking about options 1 and 2. How do I find out where those programs are? I have been on the AOA site and searched for DO residencies in peds and there are like 18 or 19 in the country. Where do I find a program that is dually accredited?

And another question...is the usmle necessary for peds primary care if I don't end up doing a DO residency?

Go to the AOA's osteopathic residency website
http://www.opportunities.osteopathic.org/

Search for program and/or location

You will get a list of programs

If you click on each program, it will give you specific information about each program. One of the field is

"Is there currently an ACGME accredited program in this specialty at your institution?
Is the program a dually accredited AOA/ACGME program? "

Unfortunately there is no way to search for only dually accredited AOA/ACGME programs. A quicker way is to search for osteopathic residency, and then search using the AMA FREIDA, and see which programs overlap.

For Pediatrics, most AOA pediatric residencies are dually accredited (at least according to the Opportunities website)

The ones that are not dually accredited are

Columbia Hosp/West Palm Hosp in Florida
Oklahoma State University Medical Center in Oklahoma

As for your 2nd question - depends. Some pediatric residencies are comfortable with COMLEX and will accept it without reservations. Some residencies will accept COMLEX but prefer USMLE (because they don't know how to compare COMLEX scores with USMLE scores). Others will require USMLE. I think most pediatric residencies are COMLEX friendly but that's just based on gut feeling, with no hard evidence or data to support it.

Do yourself a favor and don't limit yourself to exploring only AOA/dual-accredited programs if you want to do Pediatrics. The field is so non-competitive for American graduates at the present time that you could have a chance to interview at much stronger programs on the ACGME side.

Do yourself a favor and don't limit yourself to exploring only AOA/dual-accredited programs if you want to do Pediatrics. The field is so non-competitive for American graduates at the present time that you could have a chance to interview at much stronger programs on the ACGME side.

Agreed. Pediatrics is DO friendly and you will have more programs, more locations, more opportunities (eg acgme fellowships) if you open yourself to acgme programs. Just make sure you get your acgme pgy1 year spa approved via res 42 so that you can be licensed in the four states that requires it.