Internship question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Melissa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could please explain to me the difference in what you do in your internship when compared to your residency? Thanks in advance and I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday!

Members don't see this ad.

Internship is a term reserved for the first-year of residency. Generally what is involved is a ton of work, bad hours, and everyone from your attending to your chief resident crapping on you because you didn't have enough time to get something done.

When you hit your second-year of residency I've heard it's much better.
smile.gif

Tim of New York City.

Any thoughts on traditional vs specialty vs specialty-based internships as a stepping-stone to ER Med residency? (Each school seems to be giving me their own "spin" on the answer to that one.) I wouldn't mind a traditional rotating internship (or even a specialty-based one) before residency -- I've spent an extensive amount of time as an ER/Trauma RN and welcome the change.

------------------
The grass isn't greener on the other side --- it's just different grass

Members don't see this ad :)
The rotating internship year the main reason why I may jump ship onto the allopathic EM route. I don't see the point in adding an additional year to the residency if you don't have to.

Question #1
What is the difference between internship and residency?
Answer!(Lengthy, with many tangents..SORRY!)
Internship is the description given to the first postgraduate year. Your intership year can either be separate from or inclusive of a residency position. The difference is having to apply and interview for two positions(internship, then residency) or one(internship considered first year of residency). For Osteopaths, it is also something you need to complete in order to stay in the good graces of the AOA so you can practice in all the states, but I have heard that has been changed to allowing us to apply to allopathic interships/residencies and have the first year count as our AOA internship. For that, the best bet would be to check the AOA site. There are also several types of internships
1)Traditional
2)Tracking-ER, IM, Peds, FP, Surg...
I am in a traditional rotating internship now(only six more months to go whoo hoo!!) I had to apply/interview to get this internship, then I had to apply/interview to get my residency.
Here is my opinion, take it or leave it.........where do I start? There is always and always will be a question on whether people should go osteopathic or allopathic? Very few have grasped that as osteopaths, we have a choice of either the osteopathic or the allopathic route! Allopaths do not have that choice! By doing the Osteopathic internship, you open the doors to both worlds. However, you need to be informed!! **IMPORTANT**In my quest for emergency medicine, I contacted residency directors via email and found that if you complete an osteopathic internship, you have used up one year of your funding, and therefore are not able to apply to those programs(mostly it was the ER programs that were 1-3years) Remember, whatever road you decide to take, someone has already travelled this road before you.....so find that person and ask questions, do not reinvent the wheel!
Another question that I see on these theads is...is there life in MED SCHOOL?
First of all you need to determine what you want with your life. For those of you that feel it is impossible to have a life and go to Med school, do Internship, etc....to you I say bull****, I did it! My secret is balance.....Determine what is most important in your life, then strive towards that goal. I am no means the smartest fly on the camel's butt, but I still did pretty good in school, better than average on boards, was married/still happily married, have two kids ages six and two and ended up getting into a great residency. Could I have been a better student and therefore a better doctor,... yes but I know it would have been at the expense of my family! We all want to be excellent physicians, I just turned the knob from excellent to great so that I could be a great/solid physician and great husband/parent.
Question #2
Internship and ER?
Welcome to my world! ER is tough to get into thanks to the damn show(wife won't watch it with me anymore 'cause I bitch about the mistakes) and because people are finding that the lifestyle isn't bad-set hours, no call(six mooooorre months!), proceedures, the list is endless for me. The number of programs have decreased. You need to ask yourself the following questions.......
1) What is more important to me location(geography) or (I will die if I don't do) ER?
2) What do I want in a program?
-Location-big city/innercity/the boonies?
-Duration of Program-3yr program, 4yr program with internship included or 2-4program without internship?
-Combined program?
-Other residents in house-turf war anyone?
-Hospital size-300 bed, 800bed?
-ER Visits-30,000 90,000? NOTE Divide ER visits by number of ER residents. It sucks to have to share or even fight for patients. Remember medicine is experience and experience means numbers.
-Hours-12hr shifts, Call, 60hrs/wk or 90+hrs/wk? Don't kid yourselves...The AOA says you can only work a 32hr shift/ and 90hrs/wk. I personally have worked several 40 hour shifts without sleep and worked 118hours in a 7 day period.
3) Pay?-don't think it matters-I'm makin' less working than I did as a student! It matters!
4) Are the residents happy?**IMPORTANT**
5) Do the residents feel they can handle anything coming through those doors?
6) Do the attendings like to teach?
7) What does the residency/internship pay for....remember Boards III is $300, ETC

Get the picture? Each person is going to answer differently. That is why choosing and researching your residency is very important. Internship sucks, but for others in my internship it is fine, even great. The reason is I had to scramble whereas they planned, thought about and applied only to programs they knew would be happy/content with. I am not saying that there are not bad residencies, what I am saying is that in part bad residencies get bad reputations because the residents in part made poor decisions when applying. One of my friends who was die hard ER, got into her first choice and quit one month ago and is not doing PM&R.
Should you do a 3yr or a 4yr residency in ER?
There are many theories. You will hear the residents in 3yr progams saying yes and those in 4yr programs saying no. You will hear some say that a first year attending is going to learn/earn more than a fourth year ER resident, and others will say that an additional year of training when going into the job market will help you land a job!

If you made it though this whole thing congratulations, sorry it was so long!

------------------

CORRECTION
Should you do a 3yr or a 4yr residency in ER?

There are many theories. You will hear the residents in 3yr progams saying you do not need the additional year and those in 4yr programs saying it is a good idea. You will hear some say that a first year attending is going to learn/earn more than a fourth year ER resident, and others will say that an additional year of training when going into the job market will help you land a job! I would rather have an additional year of training before getting out. I can always moonlight or do extra shifts to get extra money.

Where'd you go to school, Marc?

------------------
The grass isn't greener on the other side --- it's just different grass

[This message has been edited by NurseyK (edited 01-02-2001).]

Went to Des Moines University-Osteopathic Medical Center. I am doing a traditional rotating internship at PCOM and I will be happily going to the Lehigh Valley-Muhlenberg Emergency Medicine Residency starting in July 2001(six more months to go, six more months to go-I'm goin' to have a seizure, I'm so excited
wink.gif
!