internship question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greensky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I plan on applying for internship in November. I will have two years of college counseling center experience, 2 years working at my department’s clinic, and 1 year of working at a community mental health center. I plan on applying to a variety of sites (community mental health, college counseling centers, and hospitals). I worked in a psych unit at a hospital assisting with groups before grad school, but, of course, those hours do not count for APPIC since they were not supervised by a doctorate in psych and I was not in a program yet. I have this experience on my CV, but do not have any hospital training at the PhD training level. Do you think I could still apply to hospitals? I do not want to waste my money if I do not stand a chance.

Members don't see this ad.

So I plan on applying for internship in November. I will have two years of college counseling center experience, 2 years working at my department's clinic, and 1 year of working at a community mental health center. I plan on applying to a variety of sites (community mental health, college counseling centers, and hospitals). I worked in a psych unit at a hospital assisting with groups before grad school, but, of course, those hours do not count for APPIC since they were not supervised by a doctorate in psych and I was not in a program yet. I have this experience on my CV, but do not have any hospital training at the PhD training level. Do you think I could still apply to hospitals? I do not want to waste my money if I do not stand a chance.

I think it depends on the hospital and what they offer. I have a similar background as yourself. I had 2 externships at counseling centers, 1 at a medical hospital, and 1 at an outpatient assessment office. I worked (non-appic approved hours) in a psychiatric hospital for 2 years as well. I applied to 19 sites for internship, got interviews at 6 (5 of which were psych hospitals), and matched at a psychiatric hospital.

The best advice I can give you is go for what you are really interested in. The internships want to see that you have basic competence, and after that it is about "goodness of fit" and how well your goals match with the site.