Internship Search :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Compass

Squishy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I just realized tomorrow's date last night. Darn. It's not to say I haven't applied to them, I've applied to one that encompasses the entire NIH, again, but no one seems to be batting an eye at my application to said internships.

Currently, my applications are:

NIH, dwindling hope, already applied, local
A Bioinformatics/Comp Bio program which is technically not clinical research more than 3D modeling of biological substances, so is an iffy one at best, currently apply for, must go out of state to do
Shadowing at the local hospital as part of a program, application comes in May

My fallback plan is:
Take EMT-B courses over the summer and work as an EMT during my junior year, local

So, does anyone have any other places to search for in Maryland, preferably DC/Montgomery County area? If you do, I will be indebted for you and root for your success in med school applications!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I just realized tomorrow's date last night. Darn. It's not to say I haven't applied to them, I've applied to one that encompasses the entire NIH, again, but no one seems to be batting an eye at my application to said internships.

A Bioinformatics/Comp Bio program which is technically not clinical research more than 3D modeling of biological substances, so is an iffy one at best, currently apply for, must go out of state to do

My fallback plan is:
Take EMT-B courses over the summer and work as an EMT during my junior year, local

So, does anyone have any other places to search for in Maryland, preferably DC/Montgomery County area? If you do, I will be indebted for you and root for your success in med school applications!

Have you tried calling the PIs at NIH and asking them to take you on in their lab? That's really the only way to get hired there. Most don't want to take the time to sift through literally thousands of applications, so they take the students who come to them.

But I'm in the same boat as you. I'm looking for a way to supplement my income in addition to teaching for Kaplan this summer that doesn't involve working retail. I already did two summers at NIH, though, so I'm ready to move onto something else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you tried calling the PIs at NIH and asking them to take you on in their lab? That's really the only way to get hired there. Most don't want to take the time to sift through literally thousands of applications, so they take the students who come to them.

I gotta second this, for *anyone* who's looking to do an internship, gain clinical experience, find a job in years off, etc. Positions that are advertised get slammed with premeds trying to improve their applications. Your odds of getting something that everyone knows about and applies for are slim. However, I've had nothing but success with the direct approach. Calling individuals, expressing interest, and asking if you could work with them really does work.

Not to be ungrateful or picky, but would these positions gained through the direct approach involve some sort of compensation or housing if in another state? I realized the moment I typed this what the answer is probably going to be.

That being said, I suppose if there's no compensation or housing then the only reasonable PI's to look for are local ones?

My fallback plan is:

I feel you, I just found out my number 1 hope internship has turned me down and my other ones I'm beginning to rapidly lose hope as well. I hate going through this every summer.

Well, not yet. Should I do a Phonebook Lottery or should I just look through PI bios for candidates?

Look through the NIH website. They have a list of PIs that take on students at the different institutes. Pick an area you're interested in, pull up a list of PIs in that area, and start calling/emailing. Be sure you have some idea of what they do, otherwise they'll know you're just fishing for a spot.